Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-5 ..resetting the sequential file numbering to LS_50001  (Read 2916 times)

Offline rogs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Olympus LS-5 ..resetting the sequential file numbering to LS_50001
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:45:34 PM »
After several years of using an Olympus WS200S audio recorder for simple speech recordings, (very good, for what it is) I decided to upgrade to an LS-5.
Wow, what a difference! It's a fine piece of kit, and I'm very pleased. I really didn't expect the build quality to be quite as good as it is !...

Sorry, I digress.  Once I'd finished messing about with my initial experiments, I formatted the internal memory, and the SD card, and did a menu reset. Start from scratch again, I thought.
Except that the sequential file numbering system hasn't reset.
According to the manual: "after formatting, recorded audio files may start from [0001]"...
Trouble is, I don't quite know what that means?
Is it a bad translation that means 'will' start from 0001 again, or is it simply a matter of chance whether it works?
Perhaps it means 'may start' or 'may not start' from 0001 again? Doesn't seem quite right, being 'iffy' like that. 
No luck from Olympus support (so far), so I was wondering if anyone can confirm whether it works on their machine---or if there's another way of resetting the counter that I've missed?
If it's faulty, then the device needs to be replaced. 
Just seems on odd way of describing it --'may' start from 0001 again, after a format...?

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Olympus LS-5 ..resetting the sequential file numbering to LS_50001
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 03:57:40 AM »
usually on some tascam recorders there is an extra option in the menu to reset the file count.

another way if the recorder places a *.sys file onto the card (like tascam does) delete it on the computer and the count will start from zero again. the machine may ask you again to reformat the card and setting the clock because the sys file is missing.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »
Thanks for your reply. The Olympus file structure doesn't work quite the same way, but thanks for the suggestion.
I've had a response (and a solution!) from Olympus support.  Seems as if my original email to them went adrift (lost somewhere in cyberspace?..) so I phoned their freephone European support, from the UK.
They confirmed that the file counter is not reset with the format procedure in the manual - so the unit is fine - and they promised to email me a solution.
Which they did, within the hour. Excellent service, I thought?

If any one needs to know the procedure?..

You press (and hold) 'STOP - REC - Fn' buttons, in that order, for about 5 seconds, until 'erase all' menu appears.
Release those buttons, and  press 'OK' to confirm.
Unit is completely reset -including the file  counter. --- Sorted!

Thanks again for your suggestion, TimeBandit...

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:17:13 AM »
Hello rogs,

I have the same Olympus. I don't have the problem but I have the solution!

Thanks.

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »
I hoped it might be useful - it certainly might be in the future, if you need to reset for any reason.

I'm surprised it's not in the manual.... and it certainly is a bit odd the way they describe the formatting as 'may' reset to 0001.. when it doesn't!
Still, Olympus were very quick with their response to my query, so thanks to them for that....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com