Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: [JB3] differences in sensitivity in L/R channels?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
[JB3] differences in sensitivity in L/R channels?
« on: May 18, 2006, 01:03:12 AM »
is it possible that the line input for on my jb3 would be 3+ dB off between the L and R channel?  if so, what would cause something so odd.

i posted the noggin scratcher in the team svu-x thread because i thought it was the svu-1 at first, but now i wonder if my jb3 might be a little screwy.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=20129.msg869681#msg869681

bueller?
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
Re: [JB3] differences in sensitivity in L/R channels?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:12:40 PM »
bump

bt & dime

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »
3 db seems like a lot, but I doubt any are dead nuts.  The 3 db coulb be anything in the chain though.  Industry standards are +/- .5 db.  What are you using in front of the jb3 that makes you say this?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 12:18:39 AM »
3 db seems like a lot, but I doubt any are dead nuts.  The 3 db coulb be anything in the chain though.  Industry standards are +/- .5 db.  What are you using in front of the jb3 that makes you say this?

Matt

i was actually calibrating my svu-1 at the time.  i was running line out of my cd player's headphone jack into my jb3 with a mid range  stereo mini to dual rca y cord.  i was playing a 1600 test tone.

i was only able to do one channel at at time, b/c i had 1/4 TS adapters at the end of the rca's (so i basically had either right channel or left channel only at any given time).  at first when i switched between the r & l plugs i had perfect calabration.  hitting the 0dB on the svu... so i decided to lower the volume on the head phone jack to try and fluctuate the sound.  on one channel i could crank it and still be at zero, and on the other i had some head room - that is i could turn it up further and then achieve clipping, although the clipping was only reflected in the jb3 meters not my svu... (again, kinda why i started the thread there)

so since i am kinda going as straight line in as possible, i dont know if there is any thing else (other than a cable not seated correctly) that would be in the chain to make it fubar.

it could be a non issue, maybe low batteries in the svu even... just tapping the collective to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

bt & dime

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »

Matt

i was actually calibrating my svu-1 at the time.  i was running line out of my cd player's headphone jack into my jb3 with a mid range  stereo mini to dual rca y cord.  i was playing a 1600 test tone.

i was only able to do one channel at at time, b/c i had 1/4 TS adapters at the end of the rca's (so i basically had either right channel or left channel only at any given time).  at first when i switched between the r & l plugs i had perfect calabration.  hitting the 0dB on the svu... so i decided to lower the volume on the head phone jack to try and fluctuate the sound.  on one channel i could crank it and still be at zero, and on the other i had some head room - that is i could turn it up further and then achieve clipping, although the clipping was only reflected in the jb3 meters not my svu... (again, kinda why i started the thread there)

so since i am kinda going as straight line in as possible, i dont know if there is any thing else (other than a cable not seated correctly) that would be in the chain to make it fubar.

it could be a non issue, maybe low batteries in the svu even... just tapping the collective to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

run through the ua5 > digi in on the jb3.  Calibrating the analog in won't make the digi in acurate.  I recommend using your mics too, and just micing 1 side of the stereo with ballance on the stereo turned to that one speaker.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com