Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 AA Battery Back Up  (Read 2938 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
R4 AA Battery Back Up
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »
When you run the R4 in the field w/ a DVD lion battery and have 8 X AA's inside does the R4 power on the plug in (DVD Battery) source first and if that goes low then the batteries? I only have one DVD battery for now and would like to use rechargeable AA's for back up always inside for local shows 3+ hours.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: R4 AA Battery Back Up
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
When you run the R4 in the field w/ a DVD lion battery and have 8 X AA's inside does the R4 power on the plug in (DVD Battery) source first and if that goes low then the batteries? I only have one DVD battery for now and would like to use rechargeable AA's for back up always inside for local shows 3+ hours.
Peace

I cannot answer this question.  However, I do run the R4 with *two* DVD batteries wired in parallel (and no internal AA cells).
The trick is to put a diode in series with each battery (anode of diode to positive of battery, cathod to positive terminal on R4, one diode on each battery) so they cannot interact.  Ie., so current flows out of batteries, but not back in...

This also allows one to charge one battery while using the other.  So presumeably you could keep several batteries and "hot swap" them out one at a time.  I've never had to do this though...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
When you run the R4 in the field w/ a DVD lion battery and have 8 X AA's inside does the R4 power on the plug in (DVD Battery) source first and if that goes low then the batteries?

That is how the R-4 Pro manual states that it works, and it is supposedly a seamless transition between power sources.  I'm not sure, but expect that the R-4 operates in the same way.  There is a power input source selection function in the system menu for the R-4 Pro that enables you to select the 'primary' and 'secondary' power sources, with 'internal' batteries as the secondary source.

If you do not get a solid answer for the regular R-4 here Jim, try asking the question in the Team R-4 thread.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:06:55 PM »
Thanks and a round of +t's!!
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »
When you run the R4 in the field w/ a DVD lion battery and have 8 X AA's inside does the R4 power on the plug in (DVD Battery) source first and if that goes low then the batteries?

That is how the R-4 Pro manual states that it works, and it is supposedly a seamless transition between power sources.  I'm not sure, but expect that the R-4 operates in the same way.  There is a power input source selection function in the system menu for the R-4 Pro that enables you to select the 'primary' and 'secondary' power sources, with 'internal' batteries as the secondary source.

If you do not get a solid answer for the regular R-4 here Jim, try asking the question in the Team R-4 thread.

I have an R4 and as I remember, if the external power fails, the Device powers off, but can then be powered up on the internal batteries.  It will not fail over seamlessly though

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 10:00:15 PM »
The R-4 will NOT switch to the internal AA's if the power being supplied through the AC adapter input dies or is removed.
From the R-4 manual... "If you disconnect or reconnect the AC adaptor, the power will turn off even if batteries are installed. Please turn off
the power on the R-4 itself before you change between AC adaptor power and battery power."

The R-4 PRO WILL keep running and swtich to the internal AA's.
The R-4 PRO manual says... "If there are batteries in the unit while an AC adaptor is being used, normal operation will continue should the line
voltage be interrupted (power blackout or power cord disconnection)."

I have the R-4, non-pro, and have not had it be an issue... but it is something to be aware of... if your dvd battery is dying, remember to turn the unit off before removing the power. You can then turn it back on and it will use the internal AA's.

cool stuff :)
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com