Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: holy crap small hard drive !!!!!!  (Read 4343 times)

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:holy crap small hard drive !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:30:08 PM »
sweet...bet they'll be pretty pricey though!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 02:56:43 PM »
Damn...four gigs on a drive the size of a quarter? "No, that's not a recording device; that's my keychain". ;D
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 04:42:30 PM »
Imagine a VW microbus full of these things hauling down Route 80 at 65 MPH.

If the bus carries 250,000 of these at 4 GB each, what is the comparative bandwith to a T1 data connection ?

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 04:48:58 PM »

If the bus carries 250,000 of these at 4 GB each, what is the comparative bandwith to a T1 data connection ?

Depends on how far it's going.  I know you were being crazy but you can't convert miles into kilobytes ;).
Mike

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 08:34:08 PM »
the HD in the iPods is built by Toshiba.  I dunno why but that humors me. :)

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »
stealth what?
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 03:30:38 PM »
I dunno, I'm only semi-impressed.  I wanna see some solid-state drives that hold that much stuff.  They're already tiny, and they're a lot safer than tiny hard drives with moving parts.   I'd trust a 2gb flash card in my camera over a 2gb microdrive any day.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 03:39:09 PM »

Depends on how far it's going.  I know you were being crazy but you can't convert miles into kilobytes ;).

At 65mph carrying 1000Tb of data, you can travel 3.67x10^7 miles above 500kbps, which is about what a T1 does ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 03:41:14 PM by Elana »

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 07:15:52 PM »
I dunno, I'm only semi-impressed.  I wanna see some solid-state drives that hold that much stuff.  They're already tiny, and they're a lot safer than tiny hard drives with moving parts.   I'd trust a 2gb flash card in my camera over a 2gb microdrive any day.

Ditto...

Alot of people on the photo boards get suicidal when these microdrives die.  I mean, it's one thing to lose a concert that you can usually get from someone else, entirely another to blow a wedding or once in a lifetime event.

Elana - what kind of digicam do you shoot with?

Haven't seen the tech specs on toshiba's site regarding this drive.  And for those of us drooooling for a Fostex FR-2, it doesn't solve the 4-5GB available media limit that comprises the upper end of what's currently available.  I'm checking a couple of PCMCIA OEM's to see if one the the 2.8" 20/40GB Hitachi Travelstars' can be shoehorned onto an ATA CardBus card.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 04:22:55 PM »
My company uses Compact Flash cards in our digital cameras to shoot photos for our magazines.  We've been relying on CF Microdrives for a while, but recently have moved over to solid state as it tends to be faster and has lower power demands.  We have had a couple of people get their microdrvies wet and had to send them out to data recovery services ($$$).  A wet CF card just needs to dry out.  Hell, I've run a flash card through a full wash cycle and had it come out working fine with all the data on it OK.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 07:36:20 PM »
Awesome...at least its a step in the right direction regading size vs. disk size.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 08:40:49 PM »

Ditto...

Alot of people on the photo boards get suicidal when these microdrives die.  I mean, it's one thing to lose a concert that you can usually get from someone else, entirely another to blow a wedding or once in a lifetime event.

Elana - what kind of digicam do you shoot with?

Haven't seen the tech specs on toshiba's site regarding this drive.  And for those of us drooooling for a Fostex FR-2, it doesn't solve the 4-5GB available media limit that comprises the upper end of what's currently available.  I'm checking a couple of PCMCIA OEM's to see if one the the 2.8" 20/40GB Hitachi Travelstars' can be shoehorned onto an ATA CardBus card.

Rick

I actually don't have a digicam at all :/  But if I did, I'd rather a 2gb flash card over a 2gb microdrive, that's for sure.

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 08:22:32 PM »
I actually don't have a digicam at all :/  But if I did, I'd rather a 2gb flash card over a 2gb microdrive, that's for sure.

Definitely.  I would be paranoid about reliabilty of one of those things.  Glad I have one that uses SD cards :).
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com