Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording at home  (Read 3019 times)

Offline michaeltaosucks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
recording at home
« on: April 17, 2004, 06:17:51 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been with my abdn for about a year, but up till now we have only jammed for friends and at school. Now we want to start recording, but none of us know shit about the proper gear. What all do I need (I don't need high end stuff) and how much will it cost me?

Thanks,
James

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re:recording at home
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:21:12 PM »
where are you located?  maybe someone would be willing to record you!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 06:16:29 PM »
do you want to record yourselves live?  if so give us some details about your pa, venues, instruments and music type and we can go from there.

if you want to record yourselves in a studio setting you could probably find better answers:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/

http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

there's a home recording site, search on google
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 12:29:23 AM »
yah gotta get some more info on exactly what you want before i start throwing out gear.  if its to record practice sessions thats one thing, studio release is another, live is another

Offline xxdukexx

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Fuck it!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 09:33:16 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been with my abdn for about a year, but up till now we have only jammed for friends and at school. Now we want to start recording, but none of us know shit about the proper gear. What all do I need (I don't need high end stuff) and how much will it cost me?

Thanks,
James

my best advice would be this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040515162848004014073185110936/g=rec/s=recorders/search/detail/base_pid/240239/

really great for recording and you can really do alot with it. Fugazi recorded their last album with this and then sent it somewhere to be mixed.

hope that helps...

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 11:08:11 PM »
It really doesn't take much at all. The cheapest route would be start with some cheap mics like the Oktava mc012's. They are about $50 each from Guitar Center. Next, you'll need a cheap mixer like the Eurorack MX 802A, which has 4 preamps, good for recording a drum kit. That should run you about $80. Now you will need some software. There is all kinds of software out there that you can use. You will have to do the reseach yourself on this. Just dont blow a bunch of money, there are plenty of cheap softwares that will do the trick. I use Vegas 4.0. Its more of a entire multimedia suite for audio and video editing. I like it because it is very easy to use and doesn't have a bunch of confusing bell and whistles. Kazaa was running a special on this one last time I checked ;)

so your recording line will be ...

Oktava mc012 mics > Eurorack MX 802A mixer > PC

Not the best rig in the world, but it works great for me. It was cheap and I have been able to get some great home studio recordings. Its all up to you to research and learn how to mic your instruments and do all the mixing tricks to make it sound "professional". Have fun!

Here is a great place to learn all about home recording ... http://homerecording.com/bbs

Be careful, they will tell you buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment you dont need, just like these guys around her :) , but if you read between the lines, you will learn all kinds of great recording tips.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 11:10:12 PM by Sharky »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com