Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 108887 times)

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
At any rate, that amount of input gain is definitely a lot. I want to say with my AT853as with phantom adapters I set the gain to High and keep the trim around 0, at least for quiet environments. For louder shows I probably switch to Low, but I don't recall offhand. Either way, I wouldn't think you would need the trim at +20 with your mics if they were properly connected.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
From the Tascam DR680 Man-well
When adjusting the input level first set the MIC GAIN to LOW and adjust the level in the TRIM screen. If the level is still too low even when the trim is set at maximum, set the MIC GAIN to HIGH

The one time I ran the trim pots down on and used HIGH gain...I saw the dots below the channel turn to outlines when it peaked above the dashed line on the meter. I assume that was telling me I was about to over load the Mic Gain...never went back to check because it was a opening band I was using to set levels on.

I just started using the Mic Pre on my DR680 having ran a Grace V2 almost exclusively in at Line Level. Prefer the Tascam Pre to my V2 with the Gefell M200's....but...that is not the case with Milab Links or Avenson STO-2's...they seem to benefit from the Clean V2 sound.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Well that is good to know.  I'll chalk it up to user error.  Thanks for the impromptu diagnosis.

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
From the Tascam DR680 Man-well
When adjusting the input level first set the MIC GAIN to LOW and adjust the level in the TRIM screen. If the level is still too low even when the trim is set at maximum, set the MIC GAIN to HIGH

The one time I ran the trim pots down on and used HIGH gain...I saw the dots below the channel turn to outlines when it peaked above the dashed line on the meter. I assume that was telling me I was about to over load the Mic Gain...never went back to check because it was a opening band I was using to set levels on.

Yeah, the manual says that, but if you use it that way, your recordings may be a lot noisier than they need to be.

If you're recording something loud with sensitive mics, then no, there's no reason to use the high gain setting, but if you're recording something lower in level and/or with mics that aren't as sensitive, there's a distinct advantage to using the high gain setting. Why the manual states that is unclear.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2014, 06:26:47 AM »
Hay anyone tried Frank Busman's mod for the 680?

Did it improve things to what level? That is it gets closer to Sound Devices levels?

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
I bought one of these this week so I could transfer a few dozen DAT Masters but just hit a wall as I have a handful that were recorded in 32k.
Any work around? Seems most decks only offer Sample Rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz.

Also the only way I can get my 48k DATS to record on the 680 is Channel 5 & 6 + ST "7 & 8"   + MIX. Is this right?
I tried DIN but it is a no go.

I am going Tascam DA-20 MKII > S/PIDF > DR-680

Thanks,
Datfly
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:23:04 PM by Datfly »
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. You should be able to set the dr680 to 16/48 and record din.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
I bought one of these this week so I could transfer a few dozen DAT Masters but just hit a wall as I have a handful that were recorded in 32k.
Any work around? Seems most decks only offer Sample Rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz.

I use an old JB3 for 32Khz xfers - the files end up being 16 bit 32 Khz (extra 4bits padded) but it works

32Khz DAT's are recorded in 12bit not 16bit
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2014, 04:47:18 PM »
When I transferred DATS the DR-680 picked up whatever bit/sample rate it was fed. It's the same when you use an outboard pre-amp AD converter too. The DR-680 locks to the signal it's getting.

I remember using the main menu to choose DIN on the ST channels. To view what's happening on the meters you need to change a setting on the front of the recorder. I think it's a monitor setting?

edit to add:

Maybe Gutbucket will post. He's the DR-680 guru.  :coolguy:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:50:43 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
When I transferred DATS the DR-680 picked up whatever bit/sample rate it was fed. It's the same when you use an outboard pre-amp AD converter too. The DR-680 locks to the signal it's getting.

I remember using the main menu to choose DIN on the ST channels. To view what's happening on the meters you need to change a setting on the front of the recorder. I think it's a monitor setting?

edit to add:

Strange, I just transferred several DATs to my dr-680 and it would not record when the sample rates didn't match. Got the DIN Unlovk message.

Really sucked for DATs with multiple recordings and filler at differing sample rates.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
Sorry, can't help with this one.  I've only recorded digital data into the DR-680 from an R44 or a V3 and always at 24/48.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »

edit to add:

Strange, I just transferred several DATs to my dr-680 and it would not record when the sample rates didn't match. Got the DIN Unlovk message.

Really sucked for DATs with multiple recordings and filler at differing sample rates.

Is there a way to turn of channels 5 & 6 and only have the ST channel?
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »
If you push the MULTI/STEREO button on the top of the recorder it switches the machine to two-channel-only mode (which is the only way to record or play at 192kHz).   I never record in that mode so I'm unsure of the signal path but I think it always routes to the stereo channel, regardless of how the machine is set to behave in multichannel mode.  I'd try that if using it for 2-channel digital transfers.

When in standard multichannel recording mode and recording a digital input to the stereo channel instead of recording it to ch5&6, you can only enter rec/pause if one of the 6 analog channels are also armed to write a file.  In otherwords you'd need to record a third channel in addition to the stereo channel, which you could just delete later of course.  The only way to have it write only a single file for the digital input when the machine is in multichannel mode is to route the digital input to ch5&6.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
Anyone try transfering files back onto an SD card from a computer for multichannel replay on the DR-680?

I've tried copying the compete directory structure from a card to the computer and back without otherwise editing anything, including the MUSIC and UTILITY folders and the dr-680.sys and dr-680.tak files in the root directory, but the machine doesn't recognize the files.  If I then select the folder containg the wav files and execute a REBUILD operation the machine will recognize and play the files, but only sequentially as individual tracks, not simultaneously as mutichannel files which is what I'm looking for it to do.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »
Has anyone tried out these Lexar cards in the 680?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167254.0;topicseen
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com