Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 108889 times)

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »
If you want good level meters, the HS-P82 is the way to go.  Don't even need my glasses to see them.   ::)  As long as $ is no object.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2014, 10:42:25 AM »
Do you if the mic preamplifiers and limiter placement is better on the HS-P82 than on the 680 or other Tascam models?

That is if the preamps are less noisy and if the limiter is on the first stage, as it should be?

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2014, 11:27:05 PM »
So...my 680 won't turn off.  Anyone have this problem before? Took a battery out to kill it and the file I saved on there seems fine. Turned it back on and still won't shut off. Hold is not engaged.

Won't on both internal or external powering.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »
First time problem?  I hate to be another statistic of a faulty 680, since I really like it, but it a very annoying issue that I don't know how to deal with.

Re-installed the latest firmware.  That's about all I can think of to try.  Also the hold switch doesn't seem to engage. When I switch it 'on' nothing seems to happen.  I've never used it while recording, but seem to remember a message showing up, or at least an indicator, that it was engaged.  I could be mistaken in that memory though.  I'm wondering if this is part of the reason it won't turn off now.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #229 on: May 09, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »
First time problem?  I hate to be another statistic of a faulty 680, since I really like it, but it a very annoying issue that I don't know how to deal with.

Re-installed the latest firmware.  That's about all I can think of to try.  Also the hold switch doesn't seem to engage. When I switch it 'on' nothing seems to happen.  I've never used it while recording, but seem to remember a message showing up, or at least an indicator, that it was engaged.  I could be mistaken in that memory though.  I'm wondering if this is part of the reason it won't turn off now.

Welcome to DR-680 support group. Just remember, you're not alone!

So I had the problem of the DR-680 not turning off when it would overheat, but not during normal operation. The hold switch button on the top panel only affects on/off and if memory serves me correct, nothing is supposed to display on the screen when it is engaged or disabled.

The hold button on the front panel is the 'true' hold button for this deck and can lock all front panel buttons, top panel buttons, or both. Notice I used the word 'buttons' as the hold feature will not lock the top panel switches (i.e. mic/line, high/low, and phantom on/off). The top panel switches cannot be locked in any way.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #230 on: May 09, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »
Okay, thanks.  Wasn't sure if there was any indication of the hold being engaged.  I've never used it as I've never had problems with buttons being accidentally pushed.

Yeah, mine just simply won't turn off.

I looked through the menus and the 'auto off' feature seems to be the fix for the moment until something else comes along.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #231 on: May 09, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
I think I had to pull the batteries once or twice to get it to shut off a couple years ago.  Always worked fine after reinstalling them and booting it up again though.

Keep in mind that the hold switch functionality is determined by a menu setting.  You might double check how that's set as well as going through the rest of the menus just to double check everything else.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline achalsey

« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
Thanks Gut.  Yeah, while I was scrolling through the menus I took note of what the 'lock mode' was set to.  I used the 'restore to factory setting' option as well.  Didn't help.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »
Well, looks like my 680 is dying a sudden, slow death. Won't turn off when the button is pressed but when recording automatically tries to turn off then freezes after I press stop. Luckily looks the the files get saved but this is ridiculous.  :'(

Still basically working but seems to be falling apart. Definitely won't be surprised when it stops saving files.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:33:14 AM by achalsey »

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #234 on: May 11, 2014, 07:41:45 AM »
Well, looks like my 680 is dying a sudden, slow death. Won't turn off when the button is pressed but when recording automatically tries to turn off then freezes after I press stop. Luckily looks the the files get saved but this is ridiculous.  :'(

Still basically working but seems to be falling apart. Definitely won't be surprised when it stops saving files.

you can borrow my DR-2d!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #235 on: May 11, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
How old is your 680 and how much use has it seen?

Offline achalsey

« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks John. 

I bought here it July 2012 and used it on average about once a week since then.  It was like new when I bought it.  Seller had bought it in Feb. 2012 and rarely used it apparently.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2014, 12:57:27 AM »
So....update, my 680 is now working properly again.   ???  I didn't change anything but it seems to be back to normal.  No idea why or what happened before, but I will certainly not be surprised if issues arise in the future.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
I have a question I was not able to find with a search of the prior posts concerning using a cigarette light attachment to power the Tascam DR-680.

Is there any reason why I can't fabricate a male 12v cigarette lighter power plug > type "M" barrel plug to power this rascal while in the car? 

The outside of the unit says 12v is needed, which by coincidence, happens to be the size of my car battery. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Just make sure to get the polarity correct and it should work fine. FYI, the Voltage range from the car cig lighter will range from about 11-14VDC.  It will be close to the top of that range with the motor running.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com