Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 108872 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
Guess who uses a DR-680 for their field work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsczXAVCF9o

I was at Pickathon all weekend, and caught a couple of these sets, and was pleased to see them running all their mics straight into the Tascam.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Can anyone help me understand why the mix level to the right of the channel levels on the display does not match? Last night was a perfect example, I ran two stereo pairs of microphones so four channels. The mix level would be over the dashed line while all four channels were under the dashed line (btw I still think these level displays SUCK, I can't believe how useless they are) I checked the mix levels & all four channels were set at 100, the recording sounds absolutely fine but I still can't wrap my head around why the mix level display is running hotter???
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Mix display is showing the sum track it. Therefore a single input could be fine for levels, but when you combine the two individual sources on the sum track with no mix adjustments, it can go over.

Not a big deal since you're recording each channel discretely.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #273 on: August 12, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
Mini-Me S/PDIF will play fine with the digi in, correct?  Or I guess the AES for that matter?

Offline achalsey

« Reply #274 on: August 15, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »
Mini-Me S/PDIF will play fine with the digi in, correct?  Or I guess the AES for that matter?

Anyone have experience running a 680 with a Mini-Me?  I should have it next week to play with, but was just curious.  I'll have to teach myself all over how to even use the digital input.  I've only used it a handful of times over the two years I've had the thing and always forget what settings to put it on to accept a signal.  Now that I think of it...I should save the instruction book to my phone...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #275 on: August 15, 2014, 06:56:16 PM »
I've only run one 9V DVD at a time.  Maybe 4 hrs or so?  When it comes time to swap DVD batts it switches momentarily to the internal AA's.

Haven't used the Mini-Me, but on the DR-680 you can record the digital input to either ch's 5&6 or the stereo channel.  I always use the stereo channel.  In the menu you'll set the stereo channel to DIN instead of MIX.  The screen will say DIN UNLOCK or something when you put the unit into REC/PAUSE unless it senses a digital input, that message will go away when it locks to the digital input OR you push the button in the center of the jog wheel (at which case it reverts to the internal clock).

Hope that helps.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
I ran AA's in the 680 once and they drained at break neck speed.  I run two 9v wally worlds via a parallel power cable.  One battery is at one green after a 4hr show with the other still full.  Is that normal?  Will one drain before the other?  I haven't run only one but suspect it would fare well in that time frame.

Yes usually one drains over the other, not sure why. Maybe it takes from the weaker source or something
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline achalsey

« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
Thanks for the refresher Gut.  I guess some of the point of the digital preamp is to open up the extra channels so will probably run the stereo channel as well.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
I ran AA's in the 680 once and they drained at break neck speed.  I run two 9v wally worlds via a parallel power cable.  One battery is at one green after a 4hr show with the other still full.  Is that normal?  Will one drain before the other?  I haven't run only one but suspect it would fare well in that time frame.

Yes usually one drains over the other, not sure why. Maybe it takes from the weaker source or something

Same experience here.  Different internal resistance?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline waltmon

« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »
680 question -

When you run mics directly into the 680, what do you set your mic gain on?  I've been told high is the setting - just curious if this would vary based on source and mics used...
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »
680 question -

When you run mics directly into the 680, what do you set your mic gain on?  I've been told high is the setting - just curious if this would vary based on source and mics used...

It will vary based on mics (i.e., dynamic vs. condenser), source (loud rock vs. soft acoustic), and placement (close vs. distant).

The manual suggests using the low gain setting unless more gain is absolutely necessary, but if you have to turn the trim up more than, oh, maybe +13 or so, it's probably better to use high gain and turn the trim down, as there will be less noise. The trade-off is there's an increased possibility of clipping.

I've tried to make notes on what settings I use with various mics in various situations, but I usually still end up adjusting things each time.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
To piggy back on that...is it okay to go line-in directly into the 680?  Or is it best to use mic-in when not using an external preamp?  I've used line in mics > 680 with perfectly fine results (I think...) but thinking about it now that might not be the best idea.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
To piggy back on that...is it okay to go line-in directly into the 680?  Or is it best to use mic-in when not using an external preamp?  I've used line in mics > 680 with perfectly fine results (I think...) but thinking about it now that might not be the best idea.

With a line level source? I've done it a lot, usually from a board/mixer output or insert point. No issues that I've noticed. Can't say I've ever done any sort of measurements, but I've never noticed any sort of issue (like with noise on the "low" mic setting) that would lead me to do so.

The only "issue" I've had is sometimes I can't for the life of me figure out why the level on a mic channel is so low, until I (finally) realize the switch on that channel got flipped from mic to line.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
Use whichever input sensitivity switch position (mic/line) gets your levels closest to where you want them with the input trim set to the middle of its range, then fine tune the level using the trim control.  If required, phanom power is available at either input sensitivity setting.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline waltmon

« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2014, 09:05:11 AM »
Did you still have phantom power? I would think that would be the main reason for mic in setting.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com