Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 108884 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #390 on: March 09, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »
  Can you use a Sound Devices 702 or 744 to use channels 7 & 8 on the 680 via a S/PDIF?  I'm sort of thinking I want one of the SD units for my main two mics, but would be content to use my 680 for spot mics if these units will work together like this. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #391 on: March 09, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »
Yes.  The clock on the 680 will slave to that of the SD across the SPDIF link.  You'll need to start the transports separately, and line up the resulting files recorded on the two different machines afterwards, but they will share clock-sync.    You can either choose to record the stereo SPDIF input on the 680 or not, it's not required that you do so to sync the machines. If you do, you won't have to do any file aligning between that SPDIF stereo channel and the others recorded on the 680.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #392 on: March 09, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
Thank you. 

Offline Rally_AK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »
Hi all, I'm running the new 680 for the first time tonight and have a couple questions. Forgive me if these have already been covered, I haven't had a chance to dig in to the other 680 threads yet.

What's the process to gang/un-gang channel's? I've read the manual but it's not explained very well. Is it really as simple as pressing the the 2 channel buttons on either end of the group you want to gang? Can this be done at any time or only while monitoring/recording? I assume you reverse the sequence to un-gang groups?

I plan to run a 5 channel mix, 2 mics onstage, a stereo SBD feed and a 3rd mic towards the back of the room. Is it possible to create stereo files for the 2 stage mics (1/2) and 2 SBD channels (5/6) then record the 3rd mic (3 or 4) as mono? I'd like mix everything to stereo on the fly but need to be able to split the 3rd/mono mic between left and right.

Is there a way to add delay to any of the channels? The 3rd mic will be about 30-35' away from the stacks. If I can't add delay I'll need to remove it from the stereo mix and add it back in post.

Apologize for all the questions.  ??? ??? ???   I'm a little stressed about running tonight, I'll practically be un-boxing 680 at the venue before the show starts.  :facepalm:
Mics: MBHO 604 KA100LK/200/300 +PFA's | ADK-TL (GK-12d Caps)
Rec: HS-P82 | DR-680mkII | DR-70D | DR-100mkII
Pre: UA5 (w-mod)

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #394 on: April 17, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
What's the process to gang/un-gang channel's? I've read the manual but it's not explained very well. Is it really as simple as pressing the the 2 channel buttons on either end of the group you want to gang? Can this be done at any time or only while monitoring/recording? I assume you reverse the sequence to un-gang groups?

Press and hold the button for one channel, press the button for the other channel, let go. Order doesn't matter. Can be done any time.

I plan to run a 5 channel mix, 2 mics onstage, a stereo SBD feed and a 3rd mic towards the back of the room. Is it possible to create stereo files for the 2 stage mics (1/2) and 2 SBD channels (5/6) then record the 3rd mic (3 or 4) as mono? I'd like mix everything to stereo on the fly but need to be able to split the 3rd/mono mic between left and right.

Page 24:

With this unit, a group of audio files that are recorded at the same time are collectively called a “take.”

Depending on the file recording mode setting, the files included in the recorded take will be as follows.

Example 1: 6 tracks and a stereo track recorded

• MONO format set: 6 mono WAV files and a stereo WAV file
• STEREO format set: 3 stereo WAV files of inputs pairs 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 and a stereo WAV file of the mix
• 6ch format set: a 6-channel WAV file and a stereo WAV file

---

There's no way to have stereo files for 1&2 and 3&4 and a mono file for 5.

Is there a way to add delay to any of the channels? The 3rd mic will be about 30-35' away from the stacks. If I can't add delay I'll need to remove it from the stereo mix and add it back in post.

Nope. I'm not sure what you mean. Why can't you just record the 5 tracks as-is and shift around (if necessary) when mixing?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #395 on: April 17, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »

Nope. I'm not sure what you mean. Why can't you just record the 5 tracks as-is and shift around (if necessary) when mixing?

No delay available on the recorder.  You'll need to shift/delay as required later.  Set it to write 6 mono files to make doing so easier.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Rally_AK

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #396 on: April 17, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

Press and hold the button for one channel, press the button for the other channel, let go. Order doesn't matter. Can be done any time.

Page 24:

With this unit, a group of audio files that are recorded at the same time are collectively called a “take.”

Depending on the file recording mode setting, the files included in the recorded take will be as follows.

Example 1: 6 tracks and a stereo track recorded

• MONO format set: 6 mono WAV files and a stereo WAV file
• STEREO format set: 3 stereo WAV files of inputs pairs 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 and a stereo WAV file of the mix
• 6ch format set: a 6-channel WAV file and a stereo WAV file

---

There's no way to have stereo files for 1&2 and 3&4 and a mono file for 5.

Thanks lukpac!

So it sounds like my only option to mix the 3rd mic into the stereo mix, without recording an unneeded 6th channel, is to use the MONO format with the stage mics and SBD channels panned full left/right and the 3rd mic center panned. Does that sound right? Can you gang channels running in mono mode?

For my delay question, I'd like to get the stereo mix as close as possible at the show. With the 3rd mic being a ways back from the PA there will probably be a noticeable delay in the mix if I can't delay to the other channels while recording. Channels can be individually delayed on the DR-70D so it seems like this would be an option on it's big brother, the 680.

I know my chances of getting my the stereo mix right at the show are slim but I run a lot of matrix's at this venue and if I can get mixing dialed in over the next few shows it'll save me a ton of time in post.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #397 on: April 17, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
So it sounds like my only option to mix the 3rd mic into the stereo mix, without recording an unneeded 6th channel, is to use the MONO format with the stage mics and SBD channels panned full left/right and the 3rd mic center panned. Does that sound right? Can you gang channels running in mono mode?

Yes to both questions.

For my delay question, I'd like to get the stereo mix as close as possible at the show. With the 3rd mic being a ways back from the PA there will probably be a noticeable delay in the mix if I can't delay to the other channels while recording. Channels can be individually delayed on the DR-70D so it seems like this would be an option on it's big brother, the 680.

It should be a feature on the 680, along with polarity invert and EQ, but unfortunately is is not.  These features are not included in the new 680mkii version either, which is my primary gripe with the new version.

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #398 on: April 17, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »

The stereo mix (essentially the 7th and 8th tracks) is independent from 1-6 as far as format goes. That is to say, it doesn't matter how you save 1-6. The format for those will have no effect on the stereo mix. You need to use MONO to prevent recording an unused 6th channel, but that has nothing to do with the stereo mix.

Yes, you can gang channels in any mode.

I know my chances of getting my the stereo mix right at the show are slim but I run a lot of matrix's at this venue and if I can get mixing dialed in over the next few shows it'll save me a ton of time in post.

Yeah, no option for delay on the recorder.

Usually that amount of delay is probably welcome, although I suppose it depends on the venue and personal taste. And I almost always use EQ and compression anyway, so for me the stereo mix wouldn't be anything more than a rough mix to sample until I did the real thing.

Offline Rally_AK

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #399 on: April 17, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »

Yes to both questions.

It should be a feature on the 680, along with polarity invert and EQ, but unfortunately is is not.  These features are not included in the new 680mkii version either, which is my primary gripe with the new version.

I'm running the mkii tonight, wish I knew these options were missing before I bought it. Cue buyers remorse... >:(

This seems like a major oversight on Tascam's part, maybe they can add some of these options via Firmware updates?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #400 on: April 17, 2015, 03:32:57 PM »

Yep, get two of these, and give one to me  ;D

http://hallresearch.com/files/manuals/AD-340.pdf

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #401 on: April 17, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
Tascam updated the original 680 firmware at least once and issued new firmware for the mkii when it was released.  Sorta doubt they will add more features.  If you're serious about buyer's remorse and still have the option to return it, you might consider this.

680 operation is not as easy as the 60d or 70d, IMO.  I was hoping for a mkii version more along the lines of the 70d myself. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #402 on: April 17, 2015, 04:21:31 PM »
I'm running the mkii tonight, wish I knew these options were missing before I bought it. Cue buyers remorse... >:(

This seems like a major oversight on Tascam's part, maybe they can add some of these options via Firmware updates?

That's my somewhat doubtful hope. Not sure if it's possible, and if it is if they will have enough incentive to do so.

Please complain about this loudly to Tascam!  If enough users do so, they may work to implement it if possible.  As a new owner of the mkii, Tascam should be more open to your concerns than the rest of us!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #403 on: April 17, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »
Tascam updated the original 680 firmware at least once and issued new firmware for the mkii when it was released.  Sorta doubt they will add more features.  If you're serious about buyer's remorse and still have the option to return it, you might consider this.

680 operation is not as easy as the 60d or 70d, IMO.  I was hoping for a mkii version more along the lines of the 70d myself.

There were 3 or 4 firmware revisions on the 680 (I never implemented the last, which was mostly an mp3 update as I recall).  The early updates offered a few major feature improvements however, which included the channel ganging feature.  This all hinges on if there is the DSP processing power and architecture available in the machine to implement those features.  If not, Tascam should have added that with the mkii hardware updates.  The 70d doesn't feature channel ganging, which is a deal-killer for me (and I need more than 4 channels too).  It doesn't appear channel ganging could be added easily to the 70d due to it's analog gain pots.  If they were infinitely rotatable digital control pots instead, they could add it while retaining the easy "twist a separate physical knob for each channel" interface.

2manyrocks, If you return it please tell Tascam why you are doing so, not just the retailer, so that they are made aware of this stupid design mistake.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:35:30 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #404 on: April 17, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
Yep, get two of these, and give one to me  ;D

http://hallresearch.com/files/manuals/AD-340.pdf

Cool box.  Except he'd need both of them delay the other 4 channels, and preamplification/phantom for two of those as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:26:29 PM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com