Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flac Frontend Seems to Do Nothing Under Win7  (Read 5231 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Flac Frontend Seems to Do Nothing Under Win7
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
Hi folks.

I haven't torrented a show for awhile. When I went to run FLAC front end under Win7 64-bit for the first time today, all appeared fine until I clicked on "Encode". Nothing happened. It appears that no batch file ran.

Has anybody else experienced this odd behavior?
I would just encode to FLAC inside my audio editor of choice, but I like the fact that FLAC Frontend has a checkbox option for aligning on sector boundaries.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Flac Frontend Seems to Do Nothing Under Win7
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:51:32 PM »
TLH lets you fix SBEs...

http://tlh.easytree.org/

Try that and see if it works for you...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:37:59 AM »
I had the exact same problem running Frontend for the first time on a new laptop with Windows 7.   There seemed to be a couple of suggested fixes, which I tried and it still didn't work. 
So I downloaded TLH and used that instead.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
Many threads on here about this.

FLAC Frontend does not work under W7 even under compatibilityn,ode.

TLH runs perfectly

We should have a sticky about this somewhere.

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:08:28 AM »
Ah ok. thanks guys. Sorry for the frequently asked question. :)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
If it's Win7 Professional, it should work in XP Mode, since that is essentially running Windows XP "virtually" within Win7.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
I recently wiped my HD clean and did a restore (Win 7 Pro).  I quickly noticed that Frontend wouldn't install correctly, so I installed TLH, which works fine.

However, it appears the FLACs on my computer are no longer associated with FLAC.  The files are not accompanied by the FLAC icon any longer and neither are the ffp files.  Same for shn stuff.

Can these associations be made in TLH?  I don't recall encountering this problem when I first got this laptop.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
I have Win 7 Pro 64bit and FLAC Frontend  work fine on my machine.  I think it's running in compatibility mode, but don't remember.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
TLH and Sector Boundaries
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi folks.
Thanks for the recommendation to get TLH. So handy!

One question.
Before, when using FLAC Front-end, it did not give me a choice of method for fixing sector boundaries. Now, TLH is giving me a choice: fix or pad.  Does the commuity prefer one method over the other?

I'm guessing PAD adds samples to the end of the file. What are these samples? Just recreations of the last sample that exists in the file, which would add a fraction of a second of new audio to things?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: TLH and Sector Boundaries
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Hi folks.

One question.
Before, when using FLAC Front-end, it did not give me a choice of method for fixing sector boundaries. Now, TLH is giving me a choice: fix or pad.  Does the commuity prefer one method over the other?

I'm guessing PAD adds samples to the end of the file. What are these samples? Just recreations of the last sample that exists in the file, which would add a fraction of a second of new audio to things?

The PAD option just appends 0's to the beginning or end of the file. I would not recommend the use of this method unless you are extremely careful. The only time I generally will use PAD is if it's the last file within the file-set in which I case I use a post-PAD, and on that note it is acceptable to have the last track in a file-set not be cut on a sector boundary so this step is generally unnecessary. Improper use of the PAD function will add audible 'gaps' between tracks.

The FIX method is safer as it simply grabs the last few samples from the previous track and appends them to the beginning of the next. The caveat with this method is that you must have your tracks properly ordered in TLH.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: TLH and Sector Boundaries
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »
Hi folks.

One question.

If you select "Pad", TLH will fill in the missing data at the Sector Boundaries with Zeros.  If you do this to a whole set of WAVs, it will put in slight silent spots at all your track-marks.  If you "Fix", it will move bits from the beginning of the next track and move them to the correct place at the end of the previous track, and then it will pad the last file at the very end with Zeroes...  ie "Pad" fills in the gaps with silence, "Fix" moves all the data to the correct spots and fills in at the end...

TLH does all this through SHNTOOLs - it just provides a GUI...  However, there is a bug in SHNTOOLs that only allows you to Pad the very last file if you have something to pad it with...  I created a 5sec silent track in CDWave and pad with that.  All it does it take some of the silent bits off the front of the silent track and appends that to the end of the Fixed track...

If you are relying on TLH to fix your SBEs for you when you are getting ready to Seed, etc., you may be better off doing all your Mastering first, then cutting the Tracks with CDWave LAST.  CDWave cuts on Sector Boundaries and eliminates the need to Fix anything...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
I recently wiped my HD clean and did a restore (Win 7 Pro).  I quickly noticed that Frontend wouldn't install correctly, so I installed TLH, which works fine.

However, it appears the FLACs on my computer are no longer associated with FLAC.  The files are not accompanied by the FLAC icon any longer and neither are the ffp files.  Same for shn stuff.

Can these associations be made in TLH?
  I don't recall encountering this problem when I first got this laptop.

File extension asscociations are made in Windows, I haven't used 7 yet, but in XP you can access them from the menu in Explorer, where you can associate FLAC, SHN, FFP, etc. with TLH- [Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types]
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »

Can these associations be made in TLH?
  I don't recall encountering this problem when I first got this laptop.

What's the use case? Do you want them to open in Flac Front-End (and if so I would ask why)?

The way I have my file associations in Win 7 is that checksums are associated with TLH (and have customized icons based on the checksum type). MD5s, FFPs, and ST5s all open with TLH so that I can easily verify file sets. The actual FLAC files however are associated with my media player, foobar, and have a Foobar symbol next to them.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
What's the use case? Do you want them to open in Flac Front-End (and if so I would ask why)?

The way I have my file associations in Win 7 is that checksums are associated with TLH (and have customized icons based on the checksum type). MD5s, FFPs, and ST5s all open with TLH so that I can easily verify file sets. The actual FLAC files however are associated with my media player, foobar, and have a Foobar symbol next to them.

I recall the checksums used to be associated with TLH.  That can be fixed.  No need for the flacs to be recognized by frontend.  I seem to remember them having the frontend icon on this Win7 machine before, so I must have been running frontend prior to installing TLH.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the recent installations. 

Thanks for helping me clarify this stuff.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com