Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aud + Board Question  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Sparge Master

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Sparge Master's List
Aud + Board Question
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:07:10 PM »
Okay I am going to be taping a freind of mine's band (i knew the guy since his peter was about wee |                    | big) so anyway I had a few questions. The band is a punk type band and I am wondering if it would be better to go
1) Audience + Board Mix
2) Audience + Vox + Guitar

The combining would be done post.
Thanks
Sparger
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Aud + Board Question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:29:09 PM »
Firstly. How big is his wee now?  ;)

If your able I find that seperateing the instruments and vocals is always helpful. They recombine easily and you obviously have a little extra control in the mix. Just the feed from the mains and the vocals might be louder than you like.

Good luck.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: Aud + Board Question
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:54:39 PM »
Unless he is using a d/i on stage and not amplifying his guitar... or if it is a very large venue, you should have plenty of guitar in the room.  Without knowing much more, I would say mic the stage with split omni's or a config and take the board feed.
     If it is a small club it will most likely be mono for the board so you could also grab a vox chan or something else if you wanted, but I doubt you would really use it.

Assuming it is...

electric guitar through an amp
bass through an amp
drums w/ kick, overheads and snare
2 vox mics

...my recomendation stands.  If there is only one vox, or if it is a big room, or if it is all d/i boxes, then maybe I would recommend something else.  With a stage mic scenario you get a good image where recording from the room you get more of a room image with the instruments all kinda centered... here again assuming it is a mono board feed which is typical for small clubs.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.183 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com