Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Most versatile (stealth&stand) setup (four-figure price range)  (Read 2407 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Most versatile (stealth&stand) setup (four-figure price range)
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »
I am still a ways off from probably going this route, but since it may take some time to accumulate the funds, I figure it can't hurt to solicit opinions now. 

I am have been using primarily stealth mics of various types for years, but I also used to have a Nak300>Zefiro>D8 rig back in the 90s.  I got rid of the big rig mostly because it did not get enough use. I tape mostly smaller bands and indie rock bands that, even if they allow taping, are not going to be used to people with massive mic stand rigs coming in.

Now I am considering whether at some point, I might like to at least have the stand option again; that is, if it was a show where I knew I could use a stand, or at least, where there was somewhere good to set it up, I could avail myself of that and get the best possible recording, but if not, could run a more low-profile setup. 

From the shows I've personally heard, it seems like the absolute most versatile setup is the Mk4>NBox or Mk4 running into another small pre, in each case using the "active cables."  Stealth tapes I've heard with this are awesome, and I am assuming there is no reason that the Mk4 caps, without bodies, cannot be mounted on a stand.  Does not having bodies when mounted on a stand create obvious sonic disadvantages? 

My main question is, how tough are these things to use in a low-profile situation?  I have heard about various things done to hats, but I am having a hard time picturing how that might work.  Does anyone have pictures of this/more detailed description that they could send via PM?

The other thing I've run across that seems higher-end is the DPA 4023.  Have liked low-profile recordings with these, but is the performance on a stand going to be acceptable, compared with, for instance, the Mk4?

Like I said, it's not a move I am making immediately (well, unless a too good to be true deal comes along) but I am thinking ahead...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: Most versatile (stealth&stand) setup (four-figure price range)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:53:06 PM »
Stealth tapes I've heard with this are awesome, and I am assuming there is no reason that the Mk4 caps, without bodies, cannot be mounted on a stand.  Does not having bodies when mounted on a stand create obvious sonic disadvantages? 

My main question is, how tough are these things to use in a low-profile situation?  I have heard about various things done to hats, but I am having a hard time picturing how that might work.  Does anyone have pictures of this/more detailed description that they could send via PM?

The other thing I've run across that seems higher-end is the DPA 4023.  Have liked low-profile recordings with these, but is the performance on a stand going to be acceptable, compared with, for instance, the Mk4?

Both the MK4 and the 402x should make great recordings.  Sonically, there shouldn't be any sonic difference in having the bodies on the stand or just the capsules/actives.  It might be easier to configure non-standard configurations (e.g. DIN, ORTF, DINa, NOS) since you can use a Kwon Bar (or similar) to mount the actives/caps into those configurations.  With the bodies in clips on your t-bar, you can more easily customize what spacing, angle you want to use, but that can be done with the caps/actives with certain kinds of smaller clips for just the caps.  I believe you can use the DPA 402x series with the Scoeps Kwon bars. 

PM sent with pic of MK4s. 

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »
I believe you can use the DPA 4023's with the Schoeps Kwon bars. 

Let me fix that for you  8)
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
Let me fix that for you  8)

Oh I see, didn't know the 4021/4022 don't fit the bar.   :P

Thanks for the heads up.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »
milab VM-44-links
at a lower cost than the schoeps

;D
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:02 PM »
also see
this link for active mounting options
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,117392.0.html
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com