Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061>SPSB-8?  (Read 6028 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
DPA 4061>SPSB-8?
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »
Is it possible to run the DPA 4061's into the Sound Professionals battery box (the SPSB-8 being the one I have)? 

I have the CMC-8 rig now with cardiod and omni caps, but am thinking that if I ultimately prefer the 4061's performance on the omni side of things, I could add a set of 4061s powered off of the sound professionals battery box for a lot cheaper (about $450 vs. $1000 for the HEB setup) than buying the full Coresound HEB rig.  Is there some reason NOT to do this that I am missing?  The 4061s terminate in a single stereo miniplug, do they not, and am I correct that Core's battery box for them is also a 9v box?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: DPA 4061>SPSB-8?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
I got good results when I had the 4061's running them into a Church Audio 9100 pre, so you may also want to consider that.

I did try them with the SP battery box and was having to use to much of the recorder's gain to my liking.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »
Is it possible to run the DPA 4061's into the Sound Professionals battery box (the SPSB-8 being the one I have)? 

I have the CMC-8 rig now with cardiod and omni caps, but am thinking that if I ultimately prefer the 4061's performance on the omni side of things, I could add a set of 4061s powered off of the sound professionals battery box for a lot cheaper (about $450 vs. $1000 for the HEB setup) than buying the full Coresound HEB rig.  Is there some reason NOT to do this that I am missing?  The 4061s terminate in a single stereo miniplug, do they not, and am I correct that Core's battery box for them is also a 9v box?

In their "natural state" from DPA, 4060/4061 terminate in microdots, a useless connector that can only be used with DPA's power supply or pre (MMA6000 and MPS6030).  However, you do have some options: (1) you can have a 3rd party p/s or pre modified to accept microdots, or (2) you can chop off the microdots and put a different connector on the end, or (3) you can try to get someone to make a patch cable going microdot to 1/8.   It seems that working with the microdots is a bitch so not too many folks will monkey around with them.  Church Audio will install microdots into their 9100 pre if you supply the female microdot connectors (you can get them from DPA directly).  In its HEB set up, Core Sound uses a 4 pin connector from the mics to the 9v power supply and then a 1/8 jack out to the recorder.   

Supposedly, the 4060/4061 run off 5-6 volts.  Core Sound's supply uses a 9v battery, not sure how much of that it supplies to the mics.  Same with Church Audio pre - 9v battery, but the voltage to the mic has varied over time.  I don't know how much is supplied by the DPA pre and p/s.  But those are designed specifically for the 406x line so they should be to spec (they're just pretty expensive compared to what 3rd parties offer).  I don't know if supplying 9v to the 4061s has a negative impact on the mics over time.   I do know that a lot of folks here have had one of their mics go bad.  Not sure why, and it may be completely unrelated to power, but it seems to happen quite a bit.

UPDATE:  A service rep at DPA said the following re powering the 4061s: The maximum power for the miniatures to run on is 10v and maximum current is 10ma.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:06:30 PM by hobbes4444 »
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »
I run dpa 4061's terminated to single 1/8" to spsb3 with great results. into md or dat on line or mic in. Battery in spsb3 lasts about 6 months. Handles the way loud spl's all the way to quiet acoustic stuff.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »
Based on the previous posts about the microdot connectors, how did you modify the 4061's to terminate in a single 1/8"?

I run dpa 4061's terminated to single 1/8" to spsb3 with great results. into md or dat on line or mic in. Battery in spsb3 lasts about 6 months. Handles the way loud spl's all the way to quiet acoustic stuff.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
There's folks here that will chop off the microdots and terminate them in a 1/8 miniplug.  Len at CoreSound will do it for a reasonable price + parts and shipping.  But you can probably get others in the community to do it as well.  The other option is to get the female microdots from DPA (1-303-485-1025, part DJJ0031, $20 each) and have Chris Church put them in his ST-9100 preamp.  That's what I'm in the process of doing right now.  The 9100 is currently $139 with free shipping.

As I'm sure you know, you're only going to get a set of 4061s for $450 used.  If you can get a pair for that price, it's probably worth it to upgrade the power supply, as the Church audio pre is going to be a better option overall than a straight battery box.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:03:04 PM by hobbes4444 »
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

ilduclo

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
I went to an electronics guy and he did the deed for $15, mine were actually set as lemo connectors, he cut them off and wired to the single 1/8". I've been running with that set up for about 3 years now. Those dpa's are really well built, as is that sp batt box.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:56:24 PM »
Chris at Sound Professionals will do it.  $20 for a straight plug, IIRC, and $25 for a right-angle Neutrik.  Had the right-angle done myself not long ago.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:05:19 AM »

In their "natural state" from DPA, 4060/4061 terminate in microdots, a useless connector that can only be used with DPA's power supply or pre (MMA6000 and MPS6030).  However, you do have some options: (1) you can have a 3rd party p/s or pre modified to accept microdots, or (2) you can chop off the microdots and put a different connector on the end, or (3) you can try to get someone to make a patch cable going microdot to 1/8.   It seems that working with the microdots is a bitch so not too many folks will monkey around with them.  Church Audio will install microdots into their 9100 pre if you supply the female microdot connectors (you can get them from DPA directly).  In its HEB set up, Core Sound uses a 4 pin connector from the mics to the 9v power supply and then a 1/8 jack out to the recorder.   

Supposedly, the 4060/4061 run off 5-6 volts.  Core Sound's supply uses a 9v battery, not sure how much of that it supplies to the mics.  Same with Church Audio pre - 9v battery, but the voltage to the mic has varied over time.  I don't know how much is supplied by the DPA pre and p/s.  But those are designed specifically for the 406x line so they should be to spec (they're just pretty expensive compared to what 3rd parties offer).  I don't know if supplying 9v to the 4061s has a negative impact on the mics over time.   I do know that a lot of folks here have had one of their mics go bad.  Not sure why, and it may be completely unrelated to power, but it seems to happen quite a bit.

UPDATE:  A service rep at DPA said the following re powering the 4061s: The maximum power for the miniatures to run on is 10v and maximum current is 10ma.
The supply range for these mics is 5v to 12v I dont know why the rep is quoting a current? strange.. But anyway they draw less then 1mA.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:40:43 AM »
I am not so sure that the microdots are really "useless".  True, they are proprietary, which sort of limits the options.  But DPA makes a wide range of stuff for them, including power sources, pres, and the XLR-phantom adaptors, and Chris Church will make power sources and pres for them too.  Additionally, they are locking connectors, which can be sort of nice (this is the part of my rig that is most subject to twisting/pulling).

Really, though, the thing that tilts me in their favor is the DPA warranty.  In the 406x user manual DPA says, "All products from DPA Microphones are covered by a two-year limited warranty on both mechanical functionality and documented specifications as long as the items are not mistreated, abused, or modified in any way."  The way I read that, re-terminating the mics voids the warranty.

Also, the mics with microdots and a DPA power source costs around $1000, so there is virtually no price difference compared to the Core Sounds set-up...

I have heard from another user here that Len (from Core Sounds) will make a microdot to 1/8" adapter cable (and I guess that C. Church would do the same); I would go that route if I was not going to use the microdots.  If for no other reason than the warranty...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
Modification of the mic's connector probably voids does not void the DPA warranty, but in any case, the warranty does not cover the microdot connectors or cable, only the mic itself.  I had Len built a (2 X microdot > rt angle 1/8" stereo mini) 'Y' cable for me.  I've built another using spare microdot cable ends.
[edited to correct warranty info]

My measurements of the 4060 with the Church Ugly & DPA MMA6000-
DPA 4060
33k ohms - resistance measured across mic

Church Audio UGLY preamp powered with '9.6v' rechargable NiMH battery measured at 10.2V charged
15ma - preamp's current draw through battery (mics attached, preamp output disconnected)
7.5V - open circuit mic power voltage
0.74mA - current draw through DPA 4060
2.8V - Voltage drop across DPA 4060

DPA MMA6000 preamp powered with '9.6v' rechargable NiMH battery measured at 10.2V charged
13mA - preamp's current draw through battery (mics attached, preamp output disconnected)
8.9v - open circuit mic power voltage
0.92mA - current draw through DPA 4060
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:34:20 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 04:03:08 AM »
Modification of the mic's connector probably voids the DPA warranty, but in any case, the warranty does not cover the microdot connectors or cable, only the mic itself.  I had Len built a (2 X microdot > rt angle 1/8" stereo mini) 'Y' cable for me.  I've built another using spare microdot cable ends.

My measurements of the 4060 with the Church Ugly & DPA MMA6000-
DPA 4060
33k ohms - resistance measured across mic

Church Audio UGLY preamp powered with '9.6v' rechargable NiMH battery measured at 10.2V charged
15ma - preamp's current draw through battery (mics attached, preamp output disconnected)
7.5V - open circuit mic power voltage
0.74mA - current draw through DPA 4060

DPA MMA6000 preamp powered with '9.6v' rechargable NiMH battery measured at 10.2V charged
13mA - preamp's current draw through battery (mics attached, preamp output disconnected)
8.9v - open circuit mic power voltage
0.92mA - current draw through DPA 4060

Just a heads up DPA will warranty the 4060 series even if the connector is changed *but* they will not warranty any connector problems. The mics are meant to be run with a wide variety of wireless packs and preamps so there are no issues with removing connectors. However care should be taken to leave the Serial number tags on the microphones cable of each mic.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »
Good to know. Thanks for the correction, Chris.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
The 4061's need considerable gain boost, more than my BB can deliver.  I end up running my Edirol near maximum.  However, the sound is better if I keep the Edirol at 40-50 and at 24b use Wave Editor for the boost.  It seems the Wave Editor boost is quieter than the Edirol gain.

I've ordered a CA 9100 as well, and it should be here shortly.  Its a nice compact box and Chris can use the DPA female parts so it is locked in.

And let me put in a plug in for the microdots.  They secure that mike perfect.  I can't speak for others, but I've had issues with the eighth inch stereo plugs not seating very well, and discovering that I am missing a channel half way through a recording, so I have to use tape to secure the connections.  None needed with the microdot.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 11:55:15 PM »
The microdots are a sound connection. Just be careful unscrewing them, especially with the female barrel connectors.  The pin and metal end fitting portion that traps the floating, threaded knurled collar can unscrew from the rubbery strain relief and detach from the cable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com