Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small cardiods - do you have negative results if you cover the "vents"?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
I made a recent recording with my SP-CMC-8's with the AT943 cardiod caps recently, also using the Sound Professionals hat mount. I had great luck using this setup with their omni caps earlier, and had similarly good luck using the cards in other situations.  I taped from the floor relatively close to center, not too far back, in a good-sounding room.  The recording is not unlistenable, but is definitely not as good as other results from these same mics in similar (or worse) rooms.

I am wondering if, because I had the caps sitting flush with the hat mount, with the side "vents" on the capsule covered, this negatively effected the recording?  Would it be better to push the mics a bit further forward so these vents were uncovered? 

The only other issues I can identify are simply that the venue sound was worse than I thought it was, or that the hat mount combined with the natural tilt of my head aimed the mics at too much of an upward angle.  I know a lot of folks use various types of mics in hats for low-profile recording, so I would be curious to hear if it's been a problem for others.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
yes, obstructing the vents on a cardioid capsule will degrade their performance.  martin schneider of neumann once commented:
"Sealing off rear sound entries will produce a tendency towards a really awful semi-omnidirectional microphone."

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
I made a recent recording with my SP-CMC-8's with the AT943 cardiod caps recently, also using the Sound Professionals hat mount. I had great luck using this setup with their omni caps earlier, and had similarly good luck using the cards in other situations.  I taped from the floor relatively close to center, not too far back, in a good-sounding room.  The recording is not unlistenable, but is definitely not as good as other results from these same mics in similar (or worse) rooms.

I am wondering if, because I had the caps sitting flush with the hat mount, with the side "vents" on the capsule covered, this negatively effected the recording?  Would it be better to push the mics a bit further forward so these vents were uncovered? 

The only other issues I can identify are simply that the venue sound was worse than I thought it was, or that the hat mount combined with the natural tilt of my head aimed the mics at too much of an upward angle.  I know a lot of folks use various types of mics in hats for low-profile recording, so I would be curious to hear if it's been a problem for others.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

You can seal off one or two vents in a multi vent capsule with some change in the polar pattern. But putting anything near the vents will effect the sound of the mic and the directionality of the mic. That is why cloth is your best option for a surround.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
When you say cloth, would covering the mics in acoustic cloth degrade the sound at all?
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
When you say cloth, would covering the mics in acoustic cloth degrade the sound at all?

Covering the mics with anything will effect the frequency response to one degree or another but in most cases it will not effect the mics overall performance to much. But care must be taken to avoid cloth that does not breathe. I blow through a cloth if there is little resistance to my breath chances are there will be little resistance to sound waves.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com