Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Onstage questions...  (Read 12704 times)

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Onstage questions...
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »
One thing I always tried to do when working with Kimock was run the board feed through the snake and record from the stage. This way the stage mics don't have to run through the snake. I would plug them direct into the recorder.

Just curious as to why?

>>>>>> in theory - the more direct the path is between your mics and your recorder = less likely to degrade the signal.
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
One thing I always tried to do when working with Kimock was run the board feed through the snake and record from the stage. This way the stage mics don't have to run through the snake. I would plug them direct into the recorder.

Just curious as to why?

Single cylinder answered while I was typing.  More detail-

One example- Someone in another thread recently asked about running unbalanced Church Audio mics onstage and through the snake back to his preamp and recorder located at the board.  I suggested that wouldn't work, that with appropriate adapters he could probably keep the preamp on stage with the mics since the output of the preamp would be better able to drive the run back to the recorder at the board, but by far the best solution would be to run the SBD patch from the board to the stage and keep the entire rig near the mics, limiting the length of the unbalanced run.

In Charlie's case, even though both are balanced and the mic bodies should be capable of driving that length of run, he may choose to do it that way primarily because the soundboard is line-level, where as the mic feed is mic-level.  So that makes for less potential interference issues, less possibility of compromising the sonics of the mic feed with a less than great quality long snake run, and the line level SBD output is driven by an output circuit designed for driving long runs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
In Charlie's case, even though both are balanced and the mic bodies should be capable of driving that length of run, he may choose to do it that way primarily because the soundboard is line-level, where as the mic feed is mic-level.  So that makes for less potential interference issues, less possibility of compromising the sonics of the mic feed with a less than great quality long snake run, and the line level SBD output is driven by an output circuit designed for driving long runs.

It could also be something physical; e.g. the area on stage or behind the stage is more secure than the sbd area during times when the band isn't playing.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »

Just curious as to why?

Single cylinder answered while I was typing.  More detail-

One example- Someone in another thread recently asked about running unbalanced Church Audio mics onstage and through the snake back to his preamp and recorder located at the board.  I suggested that wouldn't work, that with appropriate adapters he could probably keep the preamp on stage with the mics since the output of the preamp would be better able to drive the run back to the recorder at the board, but by far the best solution would be to run the SBD patch from the board to the stage and keep the entire rig near the mics, limiting the length of the unbalanced run.

Makes sense and pretty much what I was expecting. I suppose given the choice I'd go that route too. For me it wasn't really an option unless I wanted to run my own cables from the stage to my bag. Which I considered while I was waiting for the engineer to give me the go ahead to use the snake. Had my cables out and everything.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »

Just curious as to why?

>>>>>> in theory - the more direct the path is between your mics and your recorder = less likely to degrade the signal.

Bingo!!!
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com