Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Have your Schoeps SGC or SGCM clips ever failed you?

Yes, my SGC have failed.
5 (22.7%)
No, my SGC have NOT failed
8 (36.4%)
Yes, my SGCM have failed
0 (0%)
No, my SGCM have NOT failed
4 (18.2%)
Schoeps charges *how* much for the SGCM, and they *still* have a plastic base?!?
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Have your Schoeps SGC or SGCM clips ever failed you?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Have your Schoeps SGC or SGCM clips ever failed you?
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:19:35 AM »
The recent discussion has me curious how many people have actually experienced SGC or SGCM failure.

If you've owned only one or the other, please vote once.  If you've owned both, feel free to vote twice.

If you have experienced SGC or SGCM clip failure, it would be helpful to know both the nature (e.g. cracked base, busted clip, stripped screw, etc.) and cause (user error, catastrophic event, poor workmanship or design, simply worn out, etc.) of failure.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Have your Schoeps SGC or SGCM clips ever failed you?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
Thanks for this poll Brian. It will help me make my decision if I should buy 2 pair of SGC or 1 pair of SGCM
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline 0vu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:30:33 AM »
I have eight SGCs and six SGCMs and, in some cases over about 15 years of use, have never had any failures. Yet.

I have, however, had many bases and/or mic holders split/crack on A20/A20S shockmounts. Probably not helped by many of them having had over 15 years heavy use and  me also using them for Neumann KM100s which, apart from the early ones, have 21mm diameter bodies instead of the 20mm Schoeps diameter so stretch the mount more. Thankfully, replacement clips are only about £3.50 each and I keep a bag of these with the spare elastics in my mic mounts box. I got round the bases cracking by having some replacements made out of metal. They cost very little and as the plastic bases split/crack I swap them out for metal ones.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:32:14 AM by 0vu »

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
Where did you find metal replacement bases?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »
Geez, I didn't even realize that the SGCM's have plastic bases!  I knew the metal versions were expensive...now they seem even moreso!

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
I got round the bases cracking by having some replacements made out of metal.

I have a friend with a lathe. :)

He usually makes strange custom built, one-off precision doobries for the movie industry - bits of camera, special mounts to put cameras in unlikely places, ways to play old film formats on modern projectors, etc.. I had some broken Schoeps mounts on my desk one day and he suggested that it would be easy to replace the broken plastic bits with metal. I gave him some broken ones and a still functional one and the following week he came back with a bunch of different versions of replacements for them. I chose one and he made me a dozen in aluminium. The first batch was originally silver but the second batch was anodised black and the first batch went back to be similarly anodised. Subsequently, he's done me a couple of dozen in a very nice matte grey/gunmetal anodised finish which is probaby what I'd use for any future runs. Though, I've found a company which can do the proper Schoeps grey Nextel coating so I might get some done like that. The other good thing about them is that they have 3/8 Whitworth threads machined directly into their bases so I no longer have to worry about getting/losing thread adapters.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
So for the 4 respondents with failed SGCs...how about some details?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »
0vu, actually the first few years' worth of KM 100s were 21 mm outer diameter and then they changed that to 22 mm. The threads were left unchanged, though, so that capsules and amplifiers of the two different sizes still fit together. The Schoeps mounts are designed for a 20 mm diameter as their name suggests, so if you have the newer-type KM 100 bodies you are stretching those mounts more than you probably realized.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:03:54 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »

He usually makes strange custom built, one-off precision doobries for the movie industry - bits of camera, special mounts to put cameras in unlikely places, ways to play old film formats on modern projectors, etc.. I had some broken Schoeps mounts on my desk one day and he suggested that it would be easy to replace the broken plastic bits with metal. I gave him some broken ones and a still functional one and the following week he came back with a bunch of different versions of replacements for them. I chose one and he made me a dozen in aluminium. The first batch was originally silver but the second batch was anodised black and the first batch went back to be similarly anodised. Subsequently, he's done me a couple of dozen in a very nice matte grey/gunmetal anodised finish which is probaby what I'd use for any future runs. Though, I've found a company which can do the proper Schoeps grey Nextel coating so I might get some done like that. The other good thing about them is that they have 3/8 Whitworth threads machined directly into their bases so I no longer have to worry about getting/losing thread adapters.

Can you get me any of these ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »

If he can do all that, ask him to add some clips to his handywork and sell them in the retail section.  You'll give people an alternative to paying schoeps' ridiculous prices for thier SGCMs.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:13:37 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »
I think the custom metal bases would be popular, but they only resolve one of two potential points of failure - the other being the clip itself. If I had metal bases and decided to buy another set of Schoeps clips, I'd still go for the more robust SCGM. Currenty though my $10 Audix clips are working out fine. Either way, I too would like to hear from the people who had a clip break.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline ambilobe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
I have had both a SGC and two A-20's crack at the base.  all three were over tightened, causing the male threaded end if the mike stand
to bottom out, cracking the base.  I now use a metal 5/8" to 3/8" male>female adapter, held in place with some lock-tite.

this is the one -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/232827-REG/K_M_21500_000_01_Reducer_Bushing_Converts_1_2.html

Offline H₂O

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
Schoeps now only sells A20's with metal bases.  You can buy the bases directly from Schoeps for around $15 or so if I recall - and swap out your current bases - I have done this with all of my bases that are in use.

As the main A20s I use I worn out the threads.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:00:07 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
I have broken both the clips and bases on the SGC.
Usage: Stuffing MK4>KC5 in a hat using a hacked vark bar (read mechanical stress on the clips)
The clips: plastic, pretty fragile.
The base: easy to overtighten and split the thin, plastic base

I have broken the base on the SGCM.
Usage: same as above
The clips: love 'em. like the thumbscrew. they're metal
The base: wish they were made of same material as the clips.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com