Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To phantom or not to phantom  (Read 4903 times)

Offline redbook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: To phantom or not to phantom
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »
Thanks for your clarifying replies.

So I will go trough AT853 phanton > samson connectors > PS2 > JB3.
Is this configuration right? Is this the best configuration? What kind of connectors do I have to use from PS2 to JB3?

Some of my targets this year will be big stadium shows (U2, ...). Will this be enough or I'd better add more power to the signal?
Is the PS2 really big for stealthing? Any pics?

Enough questions for today.
Thanks everyone replying. Very helpful people here :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 10:14:31 AM »
I think you have it correct.  As far as going from the PS2 to JB3, you need transformers.  See JKLAbs message above, and maybe ask somewhere... I don't know what transformers are...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »
Just went through all of this myself.

Transformers allow you to use low impedance mics (i.e. AT853) with high impedance inputs (i.e. line-in on a pcm-m1).
For now, I have: AT857 (same spec as AT853) > AT power module (can use samson instead) > Hosa Lo to Hi Z Transformers (can use AT transformers instead) > line-in on my m1.

I plan on adding a ps-2 (phantom supply)  between the power module and transformer ASAP, so the mics can be used to their full potential.

If I don't use the transformers in the chain, I have to go mic-in on the m1 in order to get a good recording level.
(Mic-in resistance is only 4.7KOhm, where Line-In resistance is 47KOhm on the m1)  As everone knows, going mic-in is not desirable.

Attenuators reduce the gain of the signal when it is too hot for the input (basically opposite role of the transformers).  Like pfife stated, you would probably have to use them if you were running an AD-20.

Redbook:  I haven't used the JB3, but I assume that you would have to use the transformers between the ps-2 and Jb3 if you want to record line-in.  (Not sure what the line-is resistance is on the JB3)
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 04:19:26 PM »
Very useful post, cgrooves.

Where can I buy one of those transformers? How much are they?

I had one old transformer, don't know if this one will work

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 05:37:34 PM »
+T - that's good.  don't think it would work though. 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »
I looked at both of these transformers (Audio Technica CP8201 & Hosa MIT-176) and ended up purchasing the Hosa brand. Reason why: I'm using the AT8531 power module, and didn't want to use a long rigid connection.  The Hosa transformers have 'pigtails' on each end, that will allow flexibility and eliminate the long rigid connection.

Both transformers referenced above (and all other brands I've seen) terminate into a 1/4" phono, so you will also need an adapter. It seems that most people use the 1/4" to RCA adapter, and then use a Y-cable with 2 RCA's to 1 Stereo 3.5mm

I purchased 1/4" to xlr (male) adapters, and use a Y-cable with 2 xlr (females) to 1 Stereo 3.5mm.  The Y-cable with xlr ends seemed more versatile for future upgrades (UA-5, etc.)

Transformers will cost you approx. $15-$20 each. Use a search engine to find your best deal.
My transformers, adapters and Y-cable ran around $60 total (All Hosa brand).
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com