Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matched pair DPA 4060??  (Read 4738 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Matched pair DPA 4060??
« on: October 03, 2005, 07:23:20 PM »
Hi all-
Is it possible to buy a stereo matched pair of DPA 4060's? I have been considering picking up a pair of these mini mics, I think they have a chance to sound even better than my 4022's, due to the fact that I have to run the 4022's in a hat and I think the fact that they are covered up and sitting on my head might dull/alter the sound a bit. With some 4060's I could clip them to glasses to get them out into free space, and use my head as a baffle, which might sound better (just thinking out loud here). However, I am an imaging freak and really like my stereo microphone pair to be level matched. Does anyone know if it is possible to order a stereo matched pair of 4060's?
Thanx-
BC

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline madman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Matched pair DPA 4060??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:40:37 PM »
Not that I know of, I searched around quite a bit for a matched pair of 4061s.  Well, there's Core Sound but that's another story.  Worst case a new pair of mics will be 4 dB off, you can always fix this sort of thing in post production with any wav editing software. 

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:55:54 PM »
>> I think they have a chance to sound even better than my 4022's, due to the fact that I have to run the 4022's in a hat and I think the fact that they are covered up and sitting on my head might dull/alter the sound a bit. <<

what kind of hat?  maybe you just need a new hat...

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 08:32:20 PM »
>> I think they have a chance to sound even better than my 4022's, due to the fact that I have to run the 4022's in a hat and I think the fact that they are covered up and sitting on my head might dull/alter the sound a bit. <<

what kind of hat?  maybe you just need a new hat...

Well, the hat is fairly transparent (Kangol vent tropicair), with the tips in line with the porous mesh fabric around the rim. The mics do sit off my head a decent bit(not exactly lying flat on top of my head)  but I taped a few shows this weekend and I feel like the sound is ever so slightly muffled, and the bass kinda lightweight (the narrower config I use in my hat does not help the low end any either, 90° and 12 cm spacing) not quite the sound one usually gets when running the 4022's in open taping situations. I think the tapes sound nice, but I can't help but wonder how much it would help to get the mic capsules a little more room to breathe, and the 4022's are a little too bulky IMHO to be attaching them to eyeglasses.

I do have a open mesh trucker hat too but the Kangol is a little classier looking for jazz and classical type shows. 

Thanks for the input guys, +t's...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 09:04:12 PM »
the 4061s would pick up a lot more around you...

i've owned both, and i think the 4022s kill them for stealth stuff.  i run them in a kangol as well and i haven't really noticed any muffled sound.  how are you mounting them?  any more info on the hat setup?

(i have no idea if it even matters, but it can't hurt to ask :) )

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 09:34:55 PM »
BC, are you here in Chicago too?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 12:59:37 PM »
i've owned both, and i think the 4022s kill them for stealth stuff. 

Cool, it's good to hear some firsthand information about the two head-to-head. Never run the 406x personally.

As far as hat mounting, I will check how the capsules are sitting and see if I can do any optimization to get em into free space as much as possible. I don't think there is much else to do given the requirements of low-pro.

Madman- I'm in IL, but down south a ways from Chitown.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 01:01:16 PM »
My unmatched pair of dpa 4060's (factory microdots) are tighter than my matched 4022's, at least at the output sensitivity level.
Dead on.

cool, good to know. Just wondering, how close is the numbering??

Thanks,
Ben

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 02:50:10 PM »

As far as hat mounting, I will check how the capsules are sitting and see if I can do any optimization to get em into free space as much as possible.

is there any kind of elastic covering the grid openings or anything?  i don't know...i'm reaching for things here :)

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 03:49:50 PM »
cool, good to know. Just wondering, how close is the numbering??

Thanks,
Ben
I'm a perfect example that numbering means nothing.  3.5dB apart, sequential serials.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 06:53:55 AM »
I have a matched pair from DPA in Allroed, DM.  I have the certificate and the DPA calibration plots.  They are about 300 units apart (according to the serial numbers).  They will do it.  I had Bruce Meyers ring me up a pair when one of mine went south before the warranty expired.

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 10:48:03 PM »
Searched the threads trying to put this in the right spot.  I know I have been blathering on about my 4061s being matched by DPA themselves.  I am finally putting up the documents to show you guys that they will do it on a special request.  It may cost money, but I have no idea how much that is since I sweet talked Bruce Myers into sending my old pair back to be matched in Denmark under warranty (on the first day of operations at the CO office).

Three documents>

First one stating they are matched (signed)
Second and third ones are the frequency plots (not form documents, real plots, signed)

Offline pickmando

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 07:18:35 PM »

Three documents>

First one stating they are matched (signed)

Hey Shaggy - what service did they perform, or exchange or whatever?  The "Service Report" note says they replaced a 4061 with one matched to a 4060 or something I don't quite understand.  Did you have one 4060 and one 4061, and they exchanged one of them to match the other?

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 07:29:57 PM »
That is a typo, I believe.  Actually, there is another document just like that one that said the same thing but for the other mic (I didn't really want to post it since it was almost identical).  I had DPA replace a pair that were totally off.  I bot them used on ebay and was at wits end after trying to exchange them with the person who sold them to me for another pair (he did it once and I still had a pair that were off by quite a bit).  When Bruce asked me, what I wanted...I told him 4061s, and it turned out the the pair were 4060s that I was trying to replace (they were just like all the other mics that people on ebay sells, lemo ends or no ends).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 07:32:42 PM by shaggy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com