Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Condensor mics and stage snakes  (Read 2168 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Condensor mics and stage snakes
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »
If I run my 184's through the stage snake, does that provide phantom power? 
Socks are overrated.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
Re: Condensor mics and stage snakes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:33:49 PM »
Ive done this many times.  Plug your XLR's into your mics than into the snake, then where the snake comes back to the board unplug those two channels from the board and plug those into your pre (your pre provides the phantom).  Voila, your golden.  If there are no free channels than see if you can use a couple of the turn-around channels, but you will need XLR adaptors for those as they are opposite (see pic)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

easy jim

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »
Or, if the SBD has direct outs for each channel, you can ask the engineer to provide power for you if you think the SBD has better mic pres.  Then, take the direct out feed, generally 1/4", and make sure to have phantom power OFF on your end.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:56:18 PM »
You can do that too, but IME the only SBD that has pre's that are better than any of our field pre's is a Midas.  Mackie, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft (except for the higher end Soundcrafts) and Crest have only fair preamps. Also the board can introduce noise as the direct goes through a gain stage at the main gain control for the channel.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

easy jim

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »
You can do that too, but IME the only SBD that has pre's that are better than any of our field pre's is a Midas.  Mackie, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft (except for the higher end Soundcrafts) and Crest have only fair preamps. Also the board can introduce noise as the direct goes through a gain stage at the main gain control for the channel.

Funny, I had Midas boards in mind when I wrote that.  However, I generally will choose the direct outs from an Allen & Heath over the mic pres in my MOTU.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 08:12:35 PM »
The potential for ground-loop buzzes increases when going through the board, I personally try to avoid it whenever possible cause I've been burned by that a few times. Also, I think some snake boxes are active and can provide phantom (not from the SBD, but from the snake box itself). You're best bet is to turn phantom off, then plug everything in and see if you have a signal. If not, switch phantom on.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »
Also, I think some snake boxes are active and can provide phantom

As far as I know only digital snakes do this. I have never seen one of those in any venue Ive ever worked in, although I have worked on a digital board by Roland (A CM7200) where you could keep the control unit onstage and run it by coax. so there was no actual snake, just a loooong coax cable from the stage to the FOH position.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:27:46 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com