Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Bogen 3373 (001(b)) Stand Knock-Off for 30% Less  (Read 4108 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
New Bogen 3373 (001(b)) Stand Knock-Off for 30% Less
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:45:55 PM »
SSIA.

I'm a photographer that follows a blog called the Strobist. Anyway, the guy uses some of the same stands us tapers use. And recently, he wrote this post about a stand that is basically a replica of the Bogen 3373 (now called the "001(b)") but about 30% cheaper. I have a bunch of stands I use for taping and lighting, including a larger bogen and the smaller 3373. Well, I decided I could use a second 3373, so I tried the knock-off. It's just a tiny bit larger (barely noticeable), possibly a hair heavier (again barely noticeable), and totally useable. Anyway, just thought I'd share this here in case anyone needs a new one.

Here's the post where I learned about it:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/10/finally-little-compact-stand.html

Here's a link to where it can be bought:
http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,4729.htm

Also, FWIW, I'm NOT affiliated with the blog or the retailer, I'm just a satisfied customer of both.  :-)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Bogen 3373 (001(b)) Stand Knock-Off for 30% Less
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:13:53 PM »
T+

Just read this on that blog. 

Check out the Calumet MF6030. It's about 6" longer(folded) than the Bogen, less than 0.8lb heavier, but extends to 9' and, with tubular legs, is much stronger. It's also $15 cheaper than the Bogen. Just another option...

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/MF6030/

I'm going to order one of these. I've flown the LSD2 on my 3373 several times. But I don't like doing it.  ;D

Hoping this will be more stable. I'll post back.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:17:10 AM »
+t every taper should have one or the other. I just bought a Bogen about 1.5 months ago. Could have saved the cheese. Oh well.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »
T+

Did a search for the bogen recently and the first 3 stores I found listed it as discontinued so I stopped looking.  I'm in for one.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »
T+

Did a search for the bogen recently and the first 3 stores I found listed it as discontinued so I stopped looking.  I'm in for one.

Bogen still makes this stand. They just changed the model # on it for some reason. B&H photo will link you to the new model #.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »
Ah... B&H was one of the first I looked at but they were in one of their 'no order' periods and I did not look closely at the page other than discontinued.  I'll pretty much just be using this for on stage or stage lip at some local venues so I'm sure this version will work just as well as the bogen for my purposes.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 08:13:54 PM »

That Calumet stand actually looks like a better height (eight or more feet), but I do like the compactness of the 3373.

I've been looking for a new stand.  The 3373 (or knock off) looks nice and small, but does it go high enough to get above the crowd noise for a pair of mics? 

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »
I don't think you really need to run much more than 7 feet in most cases.

Last night for instance - bar setup, crowded room, small pa on a stick setup. I ran at about  7 feet and the tape sounds nice.  So long as people are not talking right under the mics you should be fine. Being able to go to 8 feet would be nice but I don't see any reason to fly your mics at 10 or 12 feet. You'll get better low end running down lower too. Just get above the crowd enough to avoid reflections off of heads.

Also, with line array pa's at the big shows - those pa's are tuned to sound best right about head height
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 10:12:45 PM »
I don't think you really need to run much more than 7 feet in most cases.

Last night for instance - bar setup, crowded room, small pa on a stick setup. I ran at about  7 feet and the tape sounds nice.  So long as people are not talking right under the mics you should be fine. Being able to go to 8 feet would be nice but I don't see any reason to fly your mics at 10 or 12 feet. You'll get better low end running down lower too. Just get above the crowd enough to avoid reflections off of heads.

Also, with line array pa's at the big shows - those pa's are tuned to sound best right about head height

So the Bogen and this knock off go to about 7 feet?  The literature says the bogen is a 6 footer, but that could be just the height without the legs extended, without considering shockmounts and T-bars, etc.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:15:45 PM »
Interesting find..

I use a small On-Stage stand for FOB. The feet are cut down. It was $25 and they have the advantage of being available anywhere.  I run it with a small extension arm (sometimes the ability to angle is nice).  For more than 6' I just run a bogen extension pole or some 3/8" threaded rod. The only downside is the stand is steel and weighs 4.1 lbs. The specs say the 3373 is 2.1 lbs.. I'd love to cut my stand weight in half...

I was reading the comments about the 3373 knockoff.  Sounds like it might be slightly heavier (I remember .8 lbs but can't find the reference).  Someone made the comment that is a ripoff chinese copy of the bogen and people should pay the $14.95 more and order the real thing from B&H.  Hmmm.... I guess it is..  I checked my manfrotto stuff and it was made in Italy.  For only $15 difference, I think I'd rather not reward and encourage the copycat product. It would be harder if the knockoff cost $20 or maybe $30. But at $40 vs. $55, I'll get the real deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512196-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_001B_001B_3353_3373_Nano.html

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 01:23:22 AM »
Just to re-iterate, and just for the record...

I own both a real 3373 and the knockoff, they are 98% exactly the same, practically speaking they are the same thing.

As far as the height is concerned, I also own a larger bogen stand too, and I'll have to say I love the smallness/lightness of the 3373 (and knockoff), but sometimes (and much more than once) I find myself wishing I had another foot or two. When I can bear to, I try to bring the taller stand. I usually go shorter only if I know it'll work in the venue b/c I've been there before or when portability is more important for that specific gig. Otherwise, I find the versatility of the taller stand to be more desirable. YMMV.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »
My LumoPro arrived this morning.  Good build quality, not much different than the Bogen.  Should fit my needs perfectly and also serve as a good traveling stand.

Also, the site mentioned above shipped within 24 hours and I had no problems dealing with them.

Offline goatfarmer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 02:49:43 PM »
T+

Just read this on that blog. 

Check out the Calumet MF6030. It's about 6" longer(folded) than the Bogen, less than 0.8lb heavier, but extends to 9' and, with tubular legs, is much stronger. It's also $15 cheaper than the Bogen. Just another option...

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/MF6030/

I'm going to order one of these. I've flown the LSD2 on my 3373 several times. But I don't like doing it.  ;D

Hoping this will be more stable. I'll post back.

Kindguy, did you ever buy one of these and if so, what do you think of it?
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »
+t for this.......my Lumopro arrived yesterday, nice looking stand. A little beefier than a 3373, and a little higher too. Damn good deal.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com