Gear / Technical Help > Cables

DIY stereo snake mic cables - good option?

<< < (9/9)

voltronic:

--- Quote from: ScoobieKW on January 14, 2019, 07:34:10 PM ---Joining late, but here's my two cents worth.

Mogami, Canare, Belden all make great cables. So what else differentiates them?
Price, size, and handling. Is the cable stiff or flexible, does it coil nicely or is it a pain? Is the smaller diameter flexible not as durable?

I'd order a few feet of each, then pick based on physical characteristics.

--- End quote ---

These brands also supply information on all of the electrical characteristics of their cables, so you can see how they actually perform, unlike mystery audiophile snake-oil companies.

Your advice on ordering a few feet of each is good, though.  I went with the Mogami W2930 due to a combination of construction / handling characteristics and the low capactiance.

mfrench:
Fwiw, I have a couple of DIY adaptors that I use to turn a single standard mono Canare L4E6S XLR cable into a single xlr cable that carries unbalanced stereo signal. It comes in pretty handy.

Nick's Picks:
the issue with your plan (from my own attempts)...will be the splitting of the cable for the two channels.    So you'll have 4 lead wires for your signal...plus the shield which you'll use as ground.
so....the process will remove the rubber jacket...which is all of your protection from wear and tear...and then will have you likely soldering onto the shield to run a separate wire as ground (dont use the shield itself...that gets difficult to maintain and you'll bust that solder spot when you least want it).

So now you have just 3 wires...no shielding at all.    You'll have to make the lead Y split with some girth so that the strain relief of the cable has something to grab on to.  OR....if you are cutting your XLR's, you might be able to get away the thin leads.

I tried this several times.....the cable failed eventually.   I gave  it up.   Better to make a 5 pin cable and just split the ends with XLRs.   Much more robust.

mfrench:
Nick,
If that is towards my suggestion,... I've been running that rig, in that config. or, close apprx., for over 10 years without any failure. I have the terminations in two ways, as 1/8" stereo, or, as split RCA, split at an XLR connectors joint.

Nick's Picks:
it wasn't....
just sharing my experience

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version