Gear / Technical Help > Cables

DIY stereo snake mic cables - good option?

<< < (2/9) > >>

illconditioned:
Mogami W3106 is like thick lamp cord, each one 3~4mm diameter (?).  Very nice, flexible and tough cable.  Each pair has served shield and solders very easily.  Pretty durable as well.For tough runs, or to secure ends, you can techflex this too :) .
By the way, if anyone finds a good supplier, please let me know.  Looking to build some more cables.

Ronmac:
I always use tech flex to cover the exposed segments of a snake for additional strength and strain relief. Of course, this means there is less flexibility, but better safe than sorry.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: illconditioned on November 20, 2018, 08:00:04 AM ---Mogami W3106 is like thick lamp cord, each one 3~4mm diameter (?).  Very nice, flexible and tough cable.  Each pair has served shield and solders very easily.  Pretty durable as well.For tough runs, or to secure ends, you can techflex this too :) .
By the way, if anyone finds a good supplier, please let me know.  Looking to build some more cables.

--- End quote ---

Well that's 3 recommendations for Mogami W3106, so that one is going to the top of my list.  It also has the lowest capacitance of any of the cables mentioned, so that also puts it in the lead for me.  Markertek carries it - see Walstib's link above.

voltronic:
FYI, Redco is cheaper on both Mogami cables, even with not-free shipping.

kingdong:
I've used the 3106 to make XLR5->2x XLR3 breakout cables for a mid-side microphone.  It was easy to work with and I'd certainly use it again, but I'm not sure it would be my first choice for a long run.  Since it is essentially two cables fused together I'd be worried about it being unruly when coiling a long length.  That said, I've only used it for <2ft breakouts so I have no experience with long pieces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version