Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: n00b - Bass roll off question for outdoor venue? Portland / Vancouver  (Read 1714 times)

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
With the help of the forum, I have one decent recording to my credit. THANK YOU for the guidance and support.

Now for another project. I just got tix for a show this summer at the Clark County Amphitheater in Vancouver, Washington. Good seats. 20 or so rows back / mostly center. The band is pretty hard hitting and NOT acoustic. My rig:

R-09 / Audio Reality bb / Audio Reality binaurals

Where should I set the bass roll off in the bb at? My choices are 30 Hz and 150 Hz. There is also a Low Cut switch on the back of the R-09. Should I leave it off? Is there ever a reason to turn it on?

Thanks in advance!
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: n00b - Bass roll off question for outdoor venue? Portland / Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:32:55 PM »
you might not even need it but if you do, i'd choose 30Hz.  150 is quite steep and you might take out too much low frequency.  try thirty and if there is still too much bass, adjust accordingly in post.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
With the help of the forum, I have one decent recording to my credit. THANK YOU for the guidance and support.

Now for another project. I just got tix for a show this summer at the Clark County Amphitheater in Vancouver, Washington. Good seats. 20 or so rows back / mostly center. The band is pretty hard hitting and NOT acoustic. My rig:

R-09 / Audio Reality bb / Audio Reality binaurals

Where should I set the bass roll off in the bb at? My choices are 30 Hz and 150 Hz. There is also a Low Cut switch on the back of the R-09. Should I leave it off? Is there ever a reason to turn it on?

Thanks in advance!

Being an outdoor concert, I think you should be fine not using roll-off. Or just a bit.
But, please, do not touch that R-09 low cut thing unless you want to ruin your recording  ;)
Take care. Samples, please? ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:53:19 PM »
Outside you'll probably not need it.  But if you want to use it, I'd definitely do the 30.  150 is way high, you'll miss out on lots of usable bass, while 30 will just roll-off the lowest rumble.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com