Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1000  (Read 82019 times)

Offline richardl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Korg MR-1000
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2007, 12:33:44 PM »
so i have my MR1k now and wondered if there were any comments on which file format made the most sense for dsd recording and subsequent movement to pcm/cd?

There doesn't seem to be any advantage to distinguish any of the formats when it comes to importing them into Korg's Audiogate. They all behave the same.

But there is a codec from Sony that supports direct playback of DSF and DFF files in Windows Media Player and probably some other players. It transcodes in realtime to PCM to drive your audio card. But it's quite handy, and it sounds just fine. Unfortunately it doesn't support WSD which I had been using with my MR-1. I don't know if the codec supports the MR-1K's 5.6MHz files.

You can find a link to the codec installer in this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,85760.0.html

On the other hand WSD is a publicly defined file format and has a consortium of companies behind it. But as far as I'm aware there's nothing out there that uses this format besides the Korgs.
Their website (in Japanese) is here:
http://www.acoust.rise.waseda.ac.jp/1bitcons/
Google Translated:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acoust.rise.waseda.ac.jp%2F1bitcons%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:40:34 PM by richardl »

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2007, 01:37:38 AM »
I posted 2 Gov't Mule shows recorded with KM184 > V3 analog out > Korg MR-1000
if you want to check out the sound of DSD converted to PCM

Gov't Mule 2007-09-15 Memorial Auditorium, Burlington, VT DSD>PCM (16-bit) (FLAC)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46120

Gov't Mule 2007-09-06 Central Park, NYC DSD>PCM (16-bit) (FLAC)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46121

There is also a soundboard show that was recorded directly off the board analog out > Korg MR-1000:
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals 2007-09-06 Central Park, NYC DSD>PCM (16-bit) (FLAC)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46124

These shows are also posted on other trackers. PM me if you have trouble getting these shows.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2007, 03:18:15 PM »
kind of you to post these :)

i taped phil at the greek last sunday. have to get a suitable computer up and running this weekend to run audiogate for the non-dsd'ers. but what about trading the original files? seems like a long download even via ftp. and what is the best form of storage? seems like i have more HD failures now than ever...

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2007, 01:49:32 AM »
bump
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2007, 07:06:50 AM »
i archive mine on DVD (data) and seal them up in cases.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
So if my mics have a -15db pad I should be ok running mics > MR-1000 ??

I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm a little worried about the brickwalling issue.
Retired Taper

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »

I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm a little worried about the brickwalling issue.

I was also looking at maybe getting one of these, and wondered will it be ok to just run the mics right into it? I see some people run other pre's in front of it but do you really need to?

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »
kind of you to post these :)

i taped phil at the greek last sunday. have to get a suitable computer up and running this weekend to run audiogate for the non-dsd'ers. but what about trading the original files? seems like a long download even via ftp. and what is the best form of storage? seems like i have more HD failures now than ever...

neil in san marcos

I've got a few DSD masters to trade.  Be happy to send you a few Neil.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2007, 03:05:19 PM »

I was also looking at maybe getting one of these, and wondered will it be ok to just run the mics right into it? I see some people run other pre's in front of it but do you really need to?

Depending on the mics yes, you can run straight into the mr-1000, I've done it on many occasions, but I've always used the 10db pad on my mics. Even with the pad I can't use much gain on the unit though, pretty much the 9 o'clock position is the most I can give it(no gain is at 7 o'clock), so if you don't have a pad on your mics an external pre can be and probably is needed. I believe Busman's mod helps out with this issue and improves the sound of the stock pres as well, probably well worth the extra $175 to make it a true "all in one".

Offline BL

• Taperssection Newbie
  • beauty resists capture
    • Magic Garden Mastering
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »
Please forgive my first post if this question has been answered:

Is anyone doing modifications to the analog stage ? ... these DSD units sound great, but a bit more fidelity could be had.
Brian Lucey
Mastering Engineer

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »
Please forgive my first post if this question has been answered:

Is anyone doing modifications to the analog stage ? ... these DSD units sound great, but a bit more fidelity could be had.

Yes, I believe board member Busman is still doing a transparency mod to the pre's. And yeah, I agree they could use some cleaning up, they're not terrible, but not great either. I've been meaning to get mine out to him, but haven't found the time yet :P.
Here's a link to a post in the retail section thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94050.msg1252753.html#msg1252753

Offline BL

• Taperssection Newbie
  • beauty resists capture
    • Magic Garden Mastering
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »
Thanks much, I'll have a look at the link ...
Brian Lucey
Mastering Engineer

Offline animuselanvital

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2008, 09:57:48 PM »
Hey everyone.  Just started on this thing and am interested in buying a recorder.  My decision has come down to 2:  Korg mr-1000 and Sound devices 702.  I know the 702 has the reputation of being a solid well built piece of equipment and is supposed to have some decent pre's in them.  The korg however is almost half the price and records in 1 bit audio.  I could get two of these!  I am worried though about how reliable it is and am not sure how the sound quality stacks up between the two when it is just the box alone w/o external pre's.  My plan is to use one of these devices alot in some adverse conditions (hot, cold, dry and moist air, and some rugged terrain).  I need it to be able to hang at my side from a bag and it must have the ability to be mobile with me. I wont be dropping the damn thing if I can help it (and I can do a good job when it comes to protecting my baby:) But its got to be able to handle some bumps here and there.  Last but not least, it has to sound excellent on its own (with the exception of the Korg because of the price I could afford a pre that costs about as much as the korg unit itself if need be . . . not so for the SD 702)  I've heard good and bad things about the pre's on the Korg and have not heard anything on the SD's except that they are very good. . . and I think that was from sound devices themselves.  I'm gonna go crazy here if I don't make a decision soon! 

PS -  if anyone has any input on the possibility of using two of these together to create a surround sound field let me know. . . I do remember hearing that they are not linkable like the more pricey sound devices 700 series recorders. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2008, 10:02:13 PM »
you can't link the two together.
the Korg, being a DSD recorder...has no time snyching abilities w/a PCM recorder like the SD boxes.  Although, the Korg *can* record in regular PCM too. 

out of the box, the SD is probably nicer.
but...that is a matter of opinion.
the Korg is really nice too.  I love its sound.  and running "line in" (with an external preamp)...then it really sounds amazing.

the SD ...it ain't no slouch.  they are popular for a reason.  as you know, built like a tank.  You can drive over one w/a truck and it will still work.
the Korg is not nearly as rugged.  but, it is what it is.
the audiogate software is pretty sweet.  Lets you combine the files and export the raw DSD into any PCM resolution you want. 

If it were my money...I'd go korg.  and then maybe spend the "extra" that you saved on a preamp to put in front of it.  Apogee MMP, V2..etc etc.
that would be hard to top, at any price point.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »
Or...
have a MR1000 modified by our very own "busman" here on the board.
he upgrades the preamp section.  I have not heard it...but any improvement is welcome..and i'm sure it smokes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com