Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102861 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
Edit to add my 2 680s are run off 9 volt DVD batteries from day one

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »
I have talked to a few people that used 9v DVD batteries and didn't encounter any issues. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

kirk97132

« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
I had the first one... and yes I ran it off a Tekkeon
the first problem one or the first one here on TS?

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
I also know a few people using 9v's with no problems. I just cant recall any of the problem boxes being run with 12v. Anyone have an issue running 12? Have all the problems been with earlier builds of the 680 and certain 9v batteries?

kirk97132

« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
I had placed my order for a 680 very early before then were even available with my second one being bought almost a year ago.  That bridges the early to later serial number gap.  From what I have gathered it does not seem to be related to production date. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:14:40 PM by kirkd »

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
thanks for the input. there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »
i personally know more people using good units than the few people on here with bad ones. I still don't think the handful of people with bad units here is representative of  all dr 680's. When the box first came out everyone reported its specs called for 12v but they reported it "would" work on a 9v then a multitude of different batteries that are below the factory specs were being used and problems began to arise. I would still like to know how many  people who ran a 12v fixed voltage battery from day 1 had issues.

In response to you and Kirk...

It's a cheap deck and a lot of units are 'in the wild.' Of course there will be a fair number of users completely loyal to their unit, having never experienced issues. However, that argument, in and of itself, is not an argument that the 680 is a reliable unit that should be trusted.

Kirk, you've had two working decks? That's fantastic! Unfortunately, I've personally had two bricked decks, so if we're playing a numbers game here looks like the score is still tied.

On this board, there have been at least 10 decks reportedly go bad. Two by myself, two by Chuck, one by Gak, another by Darby. The list goes on and I'm sure I left out a fair number of users who have reported various anomalies, but who maybe have not yet had to send it back to the factory for a complete repair.

The issues stem from a variety of factors and is not limited to simply use with a Tekkeon. Gak only powered his via 9v dvd battery and started to experience bad channels. Is this the result of an under powered DC-DC converter? We don't know because Tascam, while having fixed Ted's deck for $200, didn't specify a root cause, nor have they done so for any other user who sent their deck back for servicing.

When I sent back two decks with a full blown "Sys Rom Error" (i.e. bricked), Tascam USA didn't even so much as flinch in sending me a new unit. There was no debate, and they didn't even bother to ask me what might have caused it. In my mind, that either indicates a lack of interest in trying to identify a root cause or means they already know the exact cause and are simply trying to deal with it through the RMA route.

So where does this leave us in the argument of 'is this a good deck or not?' Well I won't go as far as to say that it is a known lemon. My third deck, which as been carefully powered, has worked quite well for 6 months now. If someone needed more than 4 channels on a budget, I would certainly recommend the 680 with caveats. However, I would never suggest the 680 over an Edirol R44 for someone that didn't need more than 4 channels regularly and could afford to spend a bit more on something that was reliable. Hell, even if someone only occasionally needed 6-8 tracks, I would probably recommend two decks with a clock syncing unit like the USBPre2 over the 680.

In my mind, the 680s powering circuit was either poorly designed or there are quality control issues in manufacturing that are causing component failures. A deck should NEVER blink "Sys Rom Error" and brick out on you at a show. That's is a mortal sin imho and should not be taken light. An improperly powered deck, at worst, should blow a fuse that requires a new, user-serviceable component.

I would have liked Tascam, after having received 5-10 bricked decks from users on our forums, to have issued some kind of statement through their Service Factory in regards to the root cause, but that is a pipe-dream. Maybe we will see a 680 MKII that improves reliability, but that's only speculation. The bottom line is that the 680 is not on par in terms of reliability with nearly every other deck that our forum members would recommend. It's much closer to a Microtrack 2496 than the SD 788 and until we see a design improvement, I'm afraid my opinion is pretty much set. It's a good deck when it works, but don't be surprised in the slightest when it starts showing issues.

kirk97132

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
HI & LO While I'm not sure I'd agree with your comparison to a Microtracker I am not trying to dismiss what you say only to get an accurate count of what is really going on.

Here is what I've pulled from the latest postings:
680 List  6-Bad  8-Good

01.) BAD        Tekkeon battery       Darby      (reported bad by Hi & Lo)
02.) Levels off DVD battery            GAK        repaired and working fine now(reported bad by Hi & Lo)
03.) Bad        ??battery                  Hi & Lo
04.) Bad        ??battery                  Hi & Lo
05.) Good       ??battery                 Hi & Lo
06.) Good       DVD Battery             Kirkd
07.) Good       DVD Battery             Kirkd
08.) Good       DVD Battery             Wookie     (reported good by kirkd)
09.) Good       ?? battery                 Busman     (reported good by kirkd)
10.) Good       Tekkeon battery        Diamonds
11.) Bad        Energizer battery        Chuck     
12.) Bad         ?? battery                 Chuck      repaired and working fine now
13.) Good       DVD Battery              YLTfan     (reported good by kirkd)
14.) Good      Tekeon battery           johnmuge

Would love to hear others chime in so the list can be updated.  Maybe we could even force Tascams hand for full disclosure with a public list like this???
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:07:13 PM by kirkd »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »
My first DR-680 likely bricked because I sent it too much voltage 19vDC. It was the first time I ran it with an Energizer type multi voltage battery.
The second unit (which I still have and use) had the low volume issue when I ran it off of a 9v DC DVD battery. I sent it to Tascam, they checked it out. Gave it a clean bill of health. I am now running that unit on a 12v SLA and have had zero problems since.

I still think it's a great recorder.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
Hi & Lo Was the second deck a repaired unbit that went bad or a replacement unit that went bad, were the units being powered by a Tekkeon battery?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:17:41 PM by kirkd »

kirk97132

« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
My first DR-680 likely bricked because I sent it too much voltage 19vDC. It was the first time I ran it with an Energizer type multi voltage battery.
The second unit (which I still have and use) had the low volume issue when I ran it off of a 9v DC DVD battery. I sent it to Tascam, they checked it out. Gave it a clean bill of health. I am now running that unit on a 12v SLA and have had zero problems since.

Thanks Chuck.  did Tascam say they did reapirs or just kick it back to you?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:17:52 PM by kirkd »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
Hi & Lo were your first two units being powered by a Tekkeon battery?

Yes... and I will never let Acidjack forget about. ;)

I'm also not trying to be dismissive, but when I see someone trying to chalk it up to "a few problem units" and "people trying to use it with X battery" I get rather apoplectic.  It is a major design flaw when a semi-professional piece of audio gear must be returned to the factory for servicing after being connected to an improper power source. A 'Sys Rom Error' message means the units firmware has been corrupted which simply should not happen. Put a damn fuse in the thing.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »

Thanks Chuck.  did Tascam say they did reapirs or just kick it back to you?

No repairs. They suggested that I power it with 12v DC instead of the DVD style battery.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2011, 03:04:47 PM »
They suggested that I power it with 12v DC instead of the DVD style battery.

Ding!  That's the refrain in this blues number as far as I can tell.  Supply other than 12Vdc and there is no guarantee.

Anecdotal, and not that it matters but 9V works for me.. aware of living on the edge.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
Hi & Lo were your first two units being powered by a Tekkeon battery?

Yes... and I will never let Acidjack forget about. ;)

I'm also not trying to be dismissive, but when I see someone trying to chalk it up to "a few problem units" and "people trying to use it with X battery" I get rather apoplectic.  It is a major design flaw when a semi-professional piece of audio gear must be returned to the factory for servicing after being connected to an improper power source. A 'Sys Rom Error' message means the units firmware has been corrupted which simply should not happen. Put a damn fuse in the thing.

In fairness, it was only run off the Tekkeon a couple of times in each case (actually, maybe just 1).  Also, I did run a Tekkeon set manually to 12V with it at one show with no issue.

As hi and lo said, the issue to me is that a slight deviation in the power supply shouldn't blow out the whole unit.   I've run the R-44 for over a year with the Tekkeon on auto and it is just fine.  And by "just fine" I don't mean, "Oh, but there was a weird channel issue this one time" or "Oh, but if I looked at it the wrong way, the digital in wouldn't work"... It has worked in a manner that gives me 100% confidence that it will be there at the end of the show, as it has been every single time for the 2 or so years I've owned it and the hundred + shows I've recorded with it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com