Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102864 times)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
Yeah, my jog wheel popped off on me also. After popping it back on it seems to be staying on but does feel loose.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »
Partly because it is more accessible, I pretty much only use the one on the front that has more of a 'firm handshake' style click once I realized it does the same thing (which was done in one of the firmware updates).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Hi, yeah sorry I should have mentioned that - for two-channel recording I also use 5+6.

The other bit I ran into is when multitracking and using 7+8 for DIN, I couldn't figure out how to solo monitor 7+8.
(Didn't have time so I just took a separate line out from the v3 for that and still do it that way). If anyone knows please share!
With 16GB and 32GB cards storage concerns are largely irrelevant to me. Well worth it!
I only ever use the front panel for operating, and that knob feels pretty good. (heheh ...)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
The other bit I ran into is when multitracking and using 7+8 for DIN, I couldn't figure out how to solo monitor 7+8.
(Didn't have time so I just took a separate line out from the v3 for that and still do it that way). If anyone knows please share!

You can't monitor the audio, only the levels on screen.

[edit- oops, incorrect]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:33:07 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
ok good, so I haven't been doing it backwards all this time!

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »

Can't you do that buy pressing HOME/FUNC and then choosing DIN MON instead of MIX MON?
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:22 AM »
I only ever use the front panel for operating, and that knob feels pretty good. (heheh ...)
My wishlist would include a MENU button on the front panel.  I have to keep sticking my finger into the bag and feeling for the MENU button.
Maybe I'll just solder a giant EASY button to the MENU button. :yikes:
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »

Can't you do that buy pressing HOME/FUNC and then choosing DIN MON instead of MIX MON?

There is no way to route the audio from DIN 7/8 to the headphone jack, maybe in stereo only mode, maybe if routed to 5/6.. I'd have to  check that.  [edit- appears you can and this is incorrect]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:32:14 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
I can confirm monitoring 5+6 on DIN through headphones is fine, you just solo each channel. That's how I run most of the time.
Only use 7+8 DIN if I want to record more than 6 tracks.
Then I need a separate way to headphone monitor those two channels, via analog out of the v3.
I basically run everything in stereo mode all the time, and split the tracks later if need be.

DIN MON is for having the input levels of 7+8 display on the last two channels so you can set levels, not for routing audio to the headphone jack..

Hey dlh, that menu button - press and hold the front panel knob :)

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »

There is no way to route the audio from DIN 7/8 to the headphone jack, maybe in stereo only mode, maybe if routed to 5/6.. I'd have to  check that.
If I set ST REC to DIN then with the HOME/FUNC button the MIX MON can be changed to DIN MON and I hear my mini-me through the headphones.
By DIN 7/8, are we talking about DIN on the stereo track.  This works for me.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »

Hey dlh, that menu button - press and hold the front panel knob :)
Cool, thanks.  Don't know how I missed that one.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2012, 10:03:11 AM »
Really?  how do you switch between routing DIN 7/8 and the other channels to the headphone jack?  I don't recall that working for me.

What Bobbygee describes is how I figured it works for DIN to 5/6, but I rarely monitor with headphones unless I'm troubleshooting.

I basically run everything in stereo mode all the time, and split the tracks later if need be.

By stereo mode I meant pushing the stereo button on top to make it a two channel only recorder, I don't think it matters if you choose to write individual files for each channel or interleaved files.  Appologies for any confustion.

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
Really?  how do you switch between routing DIN 7/8 and the other channels to the headphone jack?  I don't recall that working for me.

What Bobbygee describes is how I figured it works for DIN to 5/6, but I rarely monitor with headphones unless I'm troubleshooting.

By stereo mode I meant pushing the stereo button on top to make it a two channel only recorder, I don't think it matters if you choose to write individual files for each channel or interleaved files.  Appologies for any confustion.
I usually record mics in to chs 1 & 2 on the 680 and other mics through the mini-me spdif to the stereo track of the 680.
So it's MENU, REC, then ST REC set to DIN.
Then using the HOME/FUNC button, go down to MIX MON choice and press in on the VALUE knob and it toggles MIX MON to DIN MON.
When I'm monitoring cards vs omni's, that's how I switch (headphones) between chs 1,2 and DIN.
I hope that's what we're talking about.
Sorry if there's confusion.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »
Not at all, you actually cleared it up for me.

I was mistaken then about not being able to audio monitor the DIN input to the stereo channel, it's good to hear you can.  I'll go back and modify my posts above that state otherwise.

Like I said, I don't monitor on headphones while recording much.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:38:06 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
If I set ST REC to DIN then with the HOME/FUNC button the MIX MON can be changed to DIN MON and I hear my mini-me through the headphones.
By DIN 7/8, are we talking about DIN on the stereo track.  This works for me.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Awesome, I'll have to try that out :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.288 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com