Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102863 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »
OK so just like gutbucket, the files were there it had started another set of files, but they were silghtly different.  Or at least on one deck.  I was not using all channels on one of the decks but the new files set had all channels listed instead of just five.  Happy that there is no recovery needed.  Still waiting to duplicate the issue if possible. 

kirk97132

« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »
So I had a chance to try and duplicate the locked up condition.  No luck.  Was just so weird and to add the the weirdness, a friends 744 also locked up while recording.  Yet we were both on our own batteries.   Some kind of vortex at the Oregon Country Fair   :zombie02:

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
Was it really hot at the venue?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

« Reply #303 on: July 22, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
80's  not too bad.  Decks were in the shade no direct sunlight

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: July 23, 2012, 08:17:01 PM »
I wanna pull the plug and order a 680

first of all in the next 48 hrs.

my only concern is running this in the field,seems some are still  some power issues. has anyone figured out the "perfect solution"

I want to buy something that will last.... had similar issues with my 661 but on internal power.

and can anyone tell me how long it will record 24 bit on the internal AA's??

thanks in advance....
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #305 on: July 23, 2012, 08:35:16 PM »
I wanna pull the plug and order a 680

first of all in the next 48 hrs.

my only concern is running this in the field,seems some are still  some power issues. has anyone figured out the "perfect solution"

I want to buy something that will last.... had similar issues with my 661 but on internal power.

and can anyone tell me how long it will record 24 bit on the internal AA's??

thanks in advance....

I don't think you should have anything to fear having only had perfect results with my 680 since all of our initial troubles settled. A DVD battery is almost always what I am using and there is a common misconception that that 680 is only rated for 12v, but customer service is on record as stating it accepts 8-14v (or something like that). It's buried in the thread here somewhere, but I don't have the link offhand.

The AA's are strictly for backup. The switch over is seamless, but don't count on them for more than 30-45 minutes of actual run-time.

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
I have a tekkon 3450? without the voltage lock. are you running 9v or 12v dvd batts and what kind.?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #307 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:14 PM »
I have a tekkon 3450? without the voltage lock. are you running 9v or 12v dvd batts and what kind.?

9v dvd batt. I can't advise using the tekkeon.

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: July 23, 2012, 11:02:06 PM »
thanks for your info,I will have to order another dvd battery is there a more preferred dvd battery.they no longer make the ones like i have.And, get a rca and 1/4 in >xlr cable made for the other channels for sbd/ patching.+T's, appreciated...

anyone else who has any thoughts chime in.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:21:15 PM by MULETAPER »

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #309 on: July 23, 2012, 11:42:54 PM »
Okay, noob time.  I've read through a lot of this and the previous thread but want to clarify what people normally use.

-I'm planning on running mic > V2 > 680 + SBD > 680 for now, what inputs are recommended for this kind of setting? 

-Does anyone run 1/4" into any of the first 4 channels? 

-Is there any difference in using the XLR in vs the 1/4" in on the combo inputs?   Is it better to use 5+6 for anything since they're dedicated 1/4" input?

-I'd rather run RCA out of the V2 since it would probably be easier to just get 1/4" adapters than to get an RCA > XLR cable made (and since its not as hot a signal).  Kind of thinking the same thing with the board feed, so 1/4" in for all 4 channels.  Is this a smart thing to do or not? 

-And finally if the 1/4" is fine, then mic into 1+2 and board into 3+4?

Sorry for all the questions but I kind of jumped in blind with this one so trying to get some things straight before the box gets here.  Thanks in advance.

Edit:  Realized almost all those sentences were questions.  Sorry.  Changed to bullet form instead of paragraph form.  Not sure its much better....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:50:06 PM by achalsey »

kirk97132

« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2012, 09:59:44 AM »
As for taking a feed from a sbd, you'll find that more boards have XLR outputs than RCA outputs.  And, if it has RCA out then there is a very good chance there are XLR outs unless they are being used for something.  With that said, the 1/4" TRS inputs are no different than the XLR inputs other than the shape.  AND, the 1/4" TRS input will accept a 1/4" TS input just fine. 

AS for battery options, the general consensus:
12volts = best
9volts = OK

Any brand(li-ion, SLA, battery sled) straight 12 volt output = OK
Any brand straight 9 volt (dvd style) output = OK
Tekkeon with voltage sensing = BAD
Anything over 12 volt = BAD
Anything under 9volt = BAD

This is all based on the the fact that there are a  number of reported deck failures associated with the Tekkeon batteries.  There are some who do not like the way the deck has acted with 9 volts.  I personally run 9 volt all the time.  And if you run it off of a 12 volt external batttery set up (not Tekkeon) that puts the voltage exactly where the deck wants it to be.  These are just "opinions" that were collected form a bunch of us that run the 680.  Since most people got away from the tekkeons I have not heard of any recent 680 failures.  It could be that Tascam had a bad run of decks and/or made design changes that overcame this problem.  But Tascam is not going to tell us one way or the other.  If anything their customer support is lacking.  The other thing I think most of us do is to run external battery with AA loaded that way if the battery dies or gets unplugged you will not end up trying to recover the data.  The 680 MUST be stopped BEFORE the power goes out or it will not save correctly.   hope that helps, Kirk

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
As for taking a feed from a sbd, you'll find that more boards have XLR outputs than RCA outputs.  And, if it has RCA out then there is a very good chance there are XLR outs unless they are being used for something.  With that said, the 1/4" TRS inputs are no different than the XLR inputs other than the shape.  AND, the 1/4" TRS input will accept a 1/4" TS input just fine. 

Okay, perfect thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
As Kirk notes, the 1/4" and XLR inputs are identical.  All are balanced, all 1/4" are TRS.  It doesn't matter which input channels you use for mics or SBD (other than P48 and input sensitivity being switched in channel pairs).

Why not balanced cables from the V2 > DR680?  That would be the prefered connection.

Tip- Since all the XLRs I plug into ch1-4 are right angle type, I keep Radio Shack 1/4" TRS right-angle adapters plugged into ch5-6 inputs at all times.  That keeps the connectors and cables from sticking out the side of the recorder for a much more compact unit that fits in the bag easily and also lets those inputs face the front of the unit (at a slight angle), so they are easily accessible without pulling the recorder out of the bag.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #313 on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »

I made the decision to standardize on XLR for plugging things into the deck.
For easy access I have RA XLR shorties in channels 1-4 and RA 1/4-inch TRS - to XLR in channels 5 and 6.
Then I don't have to touch the deck for patching things around.
If its a non-XLR source I run an XLR cable over there and use an RCA or TRS adapter on the far end.

Then v3 is permanently attached to digi input, which I route to channels 7 and 8 if I want full 8 channels of input.
Works pretty well but my tapes still suck!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #314 on: July 24, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »
Suckiness is in the ear of the beholder.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com