Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102857 times)

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #330 on: July 24, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
I bit the bullet, I ordered my 680!!! :P
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
I bit the bullet, I ordered my 680!!! :P

Congrats!  I paid for mine on Saturday, hopefully get it by the end of the week!   :D

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »
only question I have now, is what type of card should I run a 32 gb? or will a 16gb be enough?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:15 PM »
only question I have now, is what type of card should I run a 32 gb? or will a 16gb be enough?

Go big... 32

The sandisk ultra is perfect. You don't need the extreme and even the standard speed card will do.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:57:24 PM by hi and lo »

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »
thanks Hi and Low you've been helpful.

great bunch here.... +T's to all.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
Here's  a perfect power choice in the YS:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157199.new#new

Offline dgpretzel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2012, 02:36:17 AM »
...With that said, the 1/4" TRS inputs are no different than the XLR inputs other than the shape.  AND, the 1/4" TRS input will accept a 1/4" TS input just fine...

I'm uncertain of the precise meaning, here.  Could this mean that one could plug an unbalanced 1/4" TS phone plug into one of the DR-680 analog in's, and it will work?  That is, I wouldn't have to buy or build a unbalanced (1/4" TS)-to-balanced (1/4" TRS) adapter cable (transformerless, so I guess the whole run is effectively unbalanced, but it would be very short, so I don't think I care).

Thank you.

DG

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »
Anyone ever experienced an issue with the DR-680 they believe would be related to overheating?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »
Yes, that will work with any unbalanced output equipment and any balanced output gear which is cool with bridging pins 1 & 3.  Cable run will be unbalanced.  Last week I ran an Aerco preamp that has unbalanced RCA outs into the 1/4" ch 5/6 inputs using RCA > 1/4" TS adapters.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
Anyone ever experienced an issue with the DR-680 they believe would be related to overheating?

You maybe?

I can recal a few odd things occuring at an outside festival in hot sun, not sure if that was heat related or even exactly what happened.  I suspected heat possibly combined with lower than specified 9v power at the time.  Didn't loose a recording and the issues cleared up by powering down and back up.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »
I've run mine raging hot at festivals and been concerned but nothing's happened yet!
I did have a card fail on me once on one of those hot days but the deck's been fine.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2012, 10:54:17 AM »

Yes, my DR-680 started to distort on all inputs recording Wilco at Red Rocks in June. The bottom of the recorder near the power jack was really hot. It was in the high 90's that day too. When I got the recorder home, I tested it and the LCD screen showed that I was on AC power even though I tested it with the internal batteries, and it wouldn't record anymore. I sent it to Tascam for repair. $182 to replace the power supply board. Now, I was running three pairs of condenser mics. One of those pairs was Audix M1290's, which draw 5-6 mA each. Tascam said that load should be a problem with the recorder, but... ???

FWIW, in my field bag, the bottom of the recorder is covered over, so I'm going to re-arrange things to leave some space around the bottom for air circulation.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »

Yes, my DR-680 started to distort on all inputs recording Wilco at Red Rocks in June. The bottom of the recorder near the power jack was really hot. It was in the high 90's that day too. When I got the recorder home, I tested it and the LCD screen showed that I was on AC power even though I tested it with the internal batteries, and it wouldn't record anymore. I sent it to Tascam for repair. $182 to replace the power supply board. Now, I was running three pairs of condenser mics. One of those pairs was Audix M1290's, which draw 5-6 mA each. Tascam said that load should be a problem with the recorder, but... ???

FWIW, in my field bag, the bottom of the recorder is covered over, so I'm going to re-arrange things to leave some space around the bottom for air circulation.

Good to know; thanks.
I'll keep an eye (finger) on mine. (the 680, that is)

Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
I have to say hat I have had some trials and tribulations with my DR-680. But, I'm giving it one more chance. I don't have the $$ for a Sound Devices recorder and I absolutely love having the ability to record three or even four pairs of sources on the same clock. Even with the repair costs I've incurred I believe it's still worth it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »

Bingo! Thanks Chuck, this is the EXACT behavior I experienced this weekend (unfortunately also at wilco) and have been able to reproduce while troubleshooting at home. I'm running the 680 in the same gear bag as my AD2k+ and after 90 minutes or so, when everything is beyond hot-to-the-touch, the 680 preamps start to go completely haywire and if you pull the AC Adapter, the unit continues to behave as though it is on AC.

Problem goes away as soon as the unit is cooled. Not sure if replacing the power supply board would do anything or if it's actually damaged. Quite possibly this is normal behavior when overheating. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the deck once it cools back down.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com