Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PS2>R-09HR or Oade PMD661 for portable/lowpro use?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
PS2>R-09HR or Oade PMD661 for portable/lowpro use?
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »
I'm currently happy with my AT853 or DPA 4061>R-09HR setups, but given the cash-bleeding, upgrade-fueled nature of this hobby, I feel down the line I will want to upgrade, either going "all the way" with DPA 402x or Schoeps, or possibly doing an interim upgrade with Audix 1280s. 

I do most of my recording in situations where stands are not allowed or discouraged.  Also, since I live in NYC and don't have a car, carting my stand around is not always a convenient option.  Meaning, I tend to either be "stealth" or at least, wearing what I'm recording with.  With the setup I have now, I can keep everything conveniently in my jeans pockets, which is a big plus to me over having to wear a hip sack or something like that.  Most bands I tape are amplified rock music, so I am not too concerned about the self-noise of the R-09HR's internal pre. 

Since whatever I step up two will require phantom, I'm trying to think about the most convenient setup for my typical uses.  It seems if I keep the R-09HR, the absolute smallest power supply I can get is the PS-2 (or the Coresound 2Phant - has anyone used that?) and I can run that into my current R-09HR.  It looks to me like this could go in a back jeans pocket, with the R-09HR in front.  Is that about right?

The other option, which seems more optimal for sound quality (and of course, more expensive) is a PMD661 with the Oade concert mod, which has the added advantage of only requiring me to carry one box + mics.  I've looked at the specs, an it looks to me like this thing would fit in a pocket, although maybe sticking out a bit (looks vaguely like this is the size of the old Sony WMD6C analog box or slightly smaller, maybe? 

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts, particularly on how advantageous, for my specific purposes, the PMD661 could be, as well as whether my estimation of how I could wear the PS2 is correct.  And if you don't keep the PMD 661 in a pocket, what other convenient place you put it (I'm guessing it's back to the fanny/hip pack....). 

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: PS2>R-09HR or Oade PMD661 for portable/lowpro use?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
I'm currently happy with my AT853 or DPA 4061>R-09HR setups, but given the cash-bleeding, upgrade-fueled nature of this hobby, I feel down the line I will want to upgrade, either going "all the way" with DPA 402x or Schoeps, or possibly doing an interim upgrade with Audix 1280s. 

I do most of my recording in situations where stands are not allowed or discouraged.  Also, since I live in NYC and don't have a car, carting my stand around is not always a convenient option.  Meaning, I tend to either be "stealth" or at least, wearing what I'm recording with.  With the setup I have now, I can keep everything conveniently in my jeans pockets, which is a big plus to me over having to wear a hip sack or something like that.  Most bands I tape are amplified rock music, so I am not too concerned about the self-noise of the R-09HR's internal pre. 

Since whatever I step up two will require phantom, I'm trying to think about the most convenient setup for my typical uses.  It seems if I keep the R-09HR, the absolute smallest power supply I can get is the PS-2 (or the Coresound 2Phant - has anyone used that?) and I can run that into my current R-09HR.  It looks to me like this could go in a back jeans pocket, with the R-09HR in front.  Is that about right?

The other option, which seems more optimal for sound quality (and of course, more expensive) is a PMD661 with the Oade concert mod, which has the added advantage of only requiring me to carry one box + mics.  I've looked at the specs, an it looks to me like this thing would fit in a pocket, although maybe sticking out a bit (looks vaguely like this is the size of the old Sony WMD6C analog box or slightly smaller, maybe? 

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts, particularly on how advantageous, for my specific purposes, the PMD661 could be, as well as whether my estimation of how I could wear the PS2 is correct.  And if you don't keep the PMD 661 in a pocket, what other convenient place you put it (I'm guessing it's back to the fanny/hip pack....). 

Hello,

Well, a PS-2 in a back jeans pocket and a R-09HR in the front ? Man, you should wear very large jeans.  ;)
Seriously, I don't think you're gonna feel confortable at all.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »
Hello,

Well, a PS-2 in a back jeans pocket and a R-09HR in the front ? Man, you should wear very large jeans.  ;)

Heh good point.  :P

The PS-2 output cable in on the bottom of the unit while the XLR inputs are on the top, so putting it in a pocket will be problematic.  It does come with a belt clip which is probably the most convenient way to stealth this device.  It's fairly small and isn't very noticeable under your clothes.  The PMC-661 is significantly bigger than the R-09HR and the PS-2 (maybe like both combined) so it'll be hard to fit in your pocket unless it is really large and baggy.  It has little loops on the top so you could hook a strap through those and hang it around your neck.  As an all-in-one device the 661 would be very convenient if you can bring it into the venue (it might be hard to crotch it).

One thing to keep in mind is that others have reported very poor battery life from the PS-2 when using the Audix m1280/90 mics because of their high current draw I guess (there are some old threads about this if you search for it).  I don't think anyone has tried the Audix with the 661 yet. 

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »
Hello,

Heh good point.  :P

The PS-2 output cable in on the bottom of the unit while the XLR inputs are on the top, so putting it in a pocket will be problematic.  It does come with a belt clip which is probably the most convenient way to stealth this device.  It's fairly small and isn't very noticeable under your clothes.  The PMC-661 is significantly bigger than the R-09HR and the PS-2 (maybe like both combined) so it'll be hard to fit in your pocket unless it is really large and baggy.  It has little loops on the top so you could hook a strap through those and hang it around your neck.  As an all-in-one device the 661 would be very convenient if you can bring it into the venue (it might be hard to crotch it).

One thing to keep in mind is that others have reported very poor battery life from the PS-2 when using the Audix m1280/90 mics because of their high current draw I guess (there are some old threads about this if you search for it).  I don't think anyone has tried the Audix with the 661 yet. 

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Mm, thanks for this - I didn't really think through how much bigger the PS2 is than a regular battery box a la the Coresound or Sound Professionals variety. 

It sounds like for me, maybe just wearing a PS2 on my belt could work... though I'll need to see what the deal is with the audix mics.  I don't crotch stuff into shows generally anyway, but I don't know if having the thing open in a bag might make my prospects worse...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »
It sounds like for me, maybe just wearing a PS2 on my belt could work... though I'll need to see what the deal is with the audix mics.  I don't crotch stuff into shows generally anyway, but I don't know if having the thing open in a bag might make my prospects worse...

Me neither... I only crotch when absolutely necessary, otherwise there's just really no justification to have your gear rubbing up against your nutsack. :P

If they're not patting down, the PS-2 under your shirt (probably best to wear more than just a tee) will be fine.  I've walked into over a dozen stealth shows like that without any issues (it's really not very noticeable).  If you don't forsee the need to ever crotch your gear, I would go with the all-in-one 661.  The convenience will be really nice to just plug your mics directly into the 661. 

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »
... I only crotch when absolutely necessary, otherwise there's just really no justification to have your gear rubbing up against your nutsack. :P

LOL! Only here would this make so much sense to so many people. ;-)
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
You can buy a PS2 from Soundpros with a hardwired 1/8" male mini plug line out..this eliminates the bulky xlr transition cable. The units also come with a beltclip...which is nice. Mic cables run down to the (adaptors) xlr ins, then on your belt the miniplug out comes from the bottom directly into your deck..which will be either in your hand,pants or jacket pocket,which is right there. I do this all the time and it works fine.

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 03:00:46 PM »
If you are planning on going the audix route I doubt the ps2 will be sufficient for many situations.  They are quiet power hungry little mics.  Get an all in one or a preamp like the mv100, mp2 or the new niant box to name a few options.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com