Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 and nihm's  (Read 1866 times)

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
R-09 and nihm's
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »
My original R-09 has served me well for several years, but recently it won't power up with nihm batteries.  I was lucky enough to have a set of alkalines with me when I discovered this, and it fired up fine with them.  I did take this opportunity to grab a new Sony PCM-M10  ;D  Has anyone else had this experience?  I'd like to hang on to it as a backup, but hate having to use throw away batteries.

Any input is appreciated,

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R-09 and nihm's
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
Me neither.  I always used NiMH without issues.  Bad batteries of course is my first thought.  Have you checked the batteries out (ideally, the capacity with a charge/discharge test)? 

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »
Me neither.  I always used NiMH without issues.  Bad batteries of course is my first thought.  Have you checked the batteries out (ideally, the capacity with a charge/discharge test)?

Must be bad batteries. I don't see how it would be possible for it to work with alkalines and not with good NiMh's.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:24:27 AM »
The batteries were my first thought also, some of them are getting a little older.  I have ~6-8 sets of them, so I will do more tests.  They did work fine in the Sony unit though.  So its kinda strange.  They are Energizer 2500mah. 

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
Remember that NiMh are 1.2v nominal.  As they age they drop voltage faster than when new and devices designed primarily around 1.5v alkalines may not run as long or at all.  My 2+ year old Maha Powerex NiMh AA's still run my R-09s but won't run my Tascam Dr2d more than a few minutes, but new ones probably will.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com