Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery consumption in MP3/WAV  (Read 1841 times)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
Battery consumption in MP3/WAV
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »
Hi there!

I have a Roland R-05 but I guess this question is expandable to all recorders able to record in lossless and lossy.

Does recording in lossless mean a bigger battery consumption than recording in lossy, or the opposite, or similar consumption?

I have noted that I can record quite a few more hours with the same set of batteries while recording in MP3 (320 kbps) rather than WAV (16 bit, 44 kHz), obviously with the same power settings, same SD card, the same mics (using plug-in power) and recording similar music. I have noted this in a biased enviroment, though, and I have done no unbiased tests, but I found it interesting. I though recording in lossless, raw format as the sound comes in, would mean less effort (aka less battery waste) for the recorder than recording in lossy, which implies a transcoding, etc etc.

Thoughts? ;)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Battery consumption in MP3/WAV
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:42 AM »
recording lossless, more data to write on the card increases battery consumption.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
Re: Battery consumption in MP3/WAV
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »
recording lossless, more data to write on the card increases battery consumption.

Ok, makes perfect sense. Thanks!
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com