Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1/8th" Walkman headphone output needs repair  (Read 515 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
1/8th" Walkman headphone output needs repair
« on: April 25, 2024, 11:46:27 PM »
Hey all,

I have a two-year-old Sony Walkman that I take to work and run through the 1/8" input jack on my delivery van.  (I deliver auto parts from a wholesale auto parts supplier and drive their vans to deliver to dealerships and independant repair shops.) My weekly mileage is about 1,200 miles.)

It's been really nice to be able to listen to FLAC while at work, especially shows that I have recently worked on.

Since I have to take it with me at the end of the day (don't want it stolen) I have to plug the cable in and out each day. This is putting a lot of wear on the walkman's headphone output. Lately I have noticed that the headphone output jack on the Walkman is loose and most likely needs to be resoldered because the sound keeps dropping out. Sometimes it won't play at all.

Can this be repaired, and if so, who should I take it to? I have a 256 gig micro flash card plus the internal memory so I can go a long time without loading new music. I priced a new one at Amazon and they are about $328 which seems like a needless expenditure if mine can be repaired. Could a cell phone repair shop fix this?

The Walkman will work with bluetooth headphones but, in CA, wearing headphones in the car is illegal so that is out.

I figured that someone here would have an answer for this. Thanks in advance,

OldNeumanntapr-

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: 1/8th" Walkman headphone output needs repair
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 08:49:38 AM »
I can't help with a fix, but I would recommend just leaving the end of the cable plugged into the unit and disconnecting the end that plugs into the car. Unless I don't understand something. I've never even heard of a Sony Walkman digital player.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 09:43:02 AM »
they also make bluetooth receivers you can plug into your car aux in and connect that way.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 11:30:05 AM »
Will they play flac files? Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 01:47:59 PM »
Will they play flac files? Bob

Yep!!! It has internal memory of 15 gigs or so and I have a 256 gig card in the card slot. They play gapless too.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 01:56:25 PM »
Do you have a local electronic component shop? They usually do repairs. A cellphone repair shop might do the work also, or be able to recommend some place. I know when my local electronics shop was open he often refereed people to the phone shop, and vice versa.

If you live about 3,000 mile closer, I say bring it over and I would be happy to resolder the jack.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 07:08:28 PM »

If you live about 3,000 mile closer, I say bring it over and I would be happy to resolder the jack.

Thanks Kirk. Though I’d definitely like to see Florida someday, I think the travel expenses would be a little extreme!!
Hopefully I can get it repaired locally.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 09:04:04 PM »
Thanks Kirk. Though I’d definitely like to see Florida someday, I think the travel expenses would be a little extreme!!
Yea, but  :cheers:

An electronics shop would be the best bet, since if it is a bad jack and not just solder joints, they might have a compatible one on hand. They are becoming a rare breed these day though. I have been to the phone shop many times to have the charge port repaired on every phone I have ever owned. That is basically the same repair. The only difference is with the phone you do not have as easy access to the component. The only problem there is that they tend to be busy and might not be willing to look at a five minute job that is not their main work.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.153 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com