Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)  (Read 107415 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
Firmware is rarely revertable, but here's hoping.

The person that had the 70D said he tried all of the firmware versions and it didn't solve the glitches.  Plan B is that I have a million different SD cards that I'll try in it.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »
I aint changing nuthin!!! >:D

mfrench

« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2015, 09:08:54 PM »
Another round of cassettes transferred, and no issues.

Question, please and thanks,....
Powering w/ external USB battery pack.
Something like this OK?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50000mAh-3-USB-Backup-External-Battery-Power-Bank-Pack-Charger-for-Cell-Phone-/181830020550?hash=item2a55e9edc6

Better, or, suggested?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:16:03 PM by m0k3 »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
That will do fine. The unit draws around a watt per hour recording 4 channel, phantom on.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »
I ran four channels at a three day fest last month. I used the DR-70 at one stage that had 5 or 6 sets per day and I ran a pair of Busman Omnis on stage into 1-2 with a FOH board feed on channels 3-4.

No glitches found and everything ran smooth once I swapped SD cards at the start of the first day. I had a Transcend 16 gig class 10 card that it refused to write to and I quickly popped in a SanDisk Extreme 16 Gig card and ran that the rest of the weekend. The card glitch was weird since I tested the card in the deck before the fest. Running current firmware. Turns out, my deck is still on 1.10.

I also ran this deck without any glitches at a Wilco show running some Busman large diaphragm mics into a V2 into 1-2 and some Line Audio CM3s into 3-4.

After reading other people's problems, I'm not sure I will run this deck without a backup until it has earned my trust. But knock on wood, so far so good.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:38:51 PM by Nigel Tufnel »

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
Don't know if it was a fluke but mine ran fine with the original firmware.  I installed V1.10 and it didn't like the Sandisk micro SD with adaptor any longer that came with the unit free from B&h.  It ran great for 30 minutes and then it turned to total digital crap.  Ruined both sets of George Porter Jr. and I was the only taper there.  Since then, I changed to a Sandisk 16 GB class 4 SDHC and it has run without a problem but mine is also on probation.  My DR-680 and DR60d have never failed me so if it messes up again,  I'm dumping it.  I don't really need it but I like its size and how it sounds when it works.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
Well, at one point, I had FOMO on this unit. The fact that there have been numerous reports of artifact on recordings has definitely made me more than happy with my 60D. Does Tascam know about these issues?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
I did contact tascam and all they did was direct me to their list of acceptable SD cards.
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
It sounds like Class 4 cards might have better luck than Class 10 cards....  maybe??
I'll try to test at home with the Class 4 card again and report back.
I am not switching cards if I find confidence in the Class 4.

.....this isn't a "pro" deck...  so maybe it doesn't like "pro" cards..
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »
Firmware, not wormware.... :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
Don't know if it was a fluke but mine ran fine with the original firmware.  I installed V1.10 and it didn't like the Sandisk micro SD with adaptor any longer that came with the unit free from B&h.  It ran great for 30 minutes and then it turned to total digital crap.  Ruined both sets of George Porter Jr. and I was the only taper there.  Since then, I changed to a Sandisk 16 GB class 4 SDHC and it has run without a problem but mine is also on probation.  My DR-680 and DR60d have never failed me so if it messes up again,  I'm dumping it.  I don't really need it but I like its size and how it sounds when it works.

Have installed V1.10 and had multiple problems with a  Sandisk 32 GB class 4 SDHC so I switched to a freshly formatted Sandisk 32 GB class 10 SDHC and it had errors too. So as someone said maybe its the 32GB size it does not like...it is like a guessing game and there might not be one answer that fits all...

Almost always run 4 channels. Interesting on the  Sandisk 32 GB class 10 SDHC error. First set ran phantom on one set of channels and other with a preamp. Second set no phantom and ran 2 external preamp and same error. So it errors with phantom on or off...

==========================================================

Question to the group:
What time does it error on the SD card?

My errors seem late into sets...errors start after an  hour of recording...like at 1:12 or 1:22 into a set..only a few glitches too then runs fine to end of set...really weird!!!

Is this what everyone is experiencing on there SD cards -Late set errors running 4 channels?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:36:56 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »

Is this what everyone is experiencing on there SD cards -Late set errors running 4 channels?

I have had trouble on both two and four-channel recordings, with two different cards.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
I did contact tascam and all they did was direct me to their list of acceptable SD cards.

That's a fairly predictable response.  I don't see them taking any investigative action until people start having problems with one of their "approved" cards.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

That's a fairly predictable response. 

And completely understandable IMO, since they've made it known that cards other than those recommended may prove unreliable(!)  ;D

stevetoney

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »

That's a fairly predictable response. 

And completely understandable IMO, since they've made it known that cards other than those recommended may prove unreliable(!)  ;D

You must work for Tascam!  It's not understandable response AT ALL.  First off, if there are severe limitations to the media can be reliably used in the DR70D, that should have been flushed out at the testing stage.  It's not quite, but I'd say it's pretty close to a design flaw if only a tiny percentage of the worlds SD card media is able to work in your device. 

Second, in their marketing information on their site, it says...'Tracks on the DR-70D are captured to SD card, SDHC or SDXC media – up to 128GB cards are supported.'  The first line in their specification sheet says 'SD card(64MB to 2GB), SDHC card(4GB to 32GB), SDXC card(48GB to 128GB)'

With the list of approved media shown, neither of the above statements is true.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:57:52 PM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com