Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Foam Safe for Mics?  (Read 6386 times)

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
Re: Foam Safe for Mics?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
Are there any precautions that need to be taken with any kind of foam in contact with mics or any other accessories?  I recently found the perfect-sized box in which to store my mics inside my gear bag and plan on cutting some foam to fit it, and then cutting out some slots to hold the mics (KM140s).  I have some nice foam that came inside some Western Digital hard drive boxes, but the drives were in their own antistatic baggies.  Is this foam likely to be fine to use, or is the foam used in Pelican cases, etc., a special foam suitable for electronics?

Once I had the screen printed AKG logo on a pair of C460s loosen and almost come off after an extended period wrapped in neoprene sheet (wetsuit material). I'd have thought it would've been OK, but watch out.
I've often wondered about the possible effect of the various plasticizers and other plastic/rubber chemicals on the diaphragm surface of expensive condenser mics. Anybody heard what  AKG, Neumann etc advise?
You can't be too careful with your mics.
Good luck
Dave

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »

Also, I've heard (but not seen) that before the meltdown stage is reached, the foam can give off tiny particles of itself, which could settle on the membrane(s) of a microphone--particularly given that condenser microphones work on the same principle as electrostatic air cleaners.

I've got a pair of DPA windscreens that are 8.5 years old that shed black foam "dust" if I shake them.  A brand new pair does not

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »
Here is a case I made by cutting anti-static high density plastic foam to hold a pair of BSC1's along with a second set of capsules. 

The box is an unused mic box from an old mic but the idea works with any appropriate sized box for your own needs.

Had posted it over in Team Busman but thought it fitting here too after seeing the OP on this thread.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:46:55 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
... or at least wrap your anything in a plastic bag inside the case.

Birth control or mic storage?!?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com