Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise  (Read 69278 times)

Offline Juan Carlos Medina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2005, 10:14:54 PM »
also, who else is giving this serious consideration?

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2005, 12:00:01 PM »
Has XLR and RCA line ins. I used the RCA's since I was coming out of my Nakamichi preamp. V2 has both XLR and RCA line outs. I'm thinking of getting the Mini-MP to use in front when I'm not running a 3 mic mix.
DSD-Raw will be around for a very long time whether it's the basis for SACD or something else that follows or when everything just becomes DSD.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2005, 12:02:29 PM »
Don't count on having the ability to produce your own SACD's.  I would be willing to bet that playback will be limited to machines like this one or in an editing suite.  Even trun key DSD recording systems write the DIFF files to tape to send to a production house.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2005, 12:04:46 PM »
I'm thinking of getting the Mini-MP to use in front when I'm not running a 3 mic mix.

You know apogee is having a nice sale, buy two mini-mp's and get the third free! who's in?  ;)

Don't count on having the ability to produce your own SACD's. I would be willing to bet that playback will be limited to machines like this one or in an editing suite. Even trun key DSD recording systems write the DIFF files to tape to send to a production house.

really? d'oh

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2005, 03:17:58 PM »
Don't count on having the ability to produce your own SACD's. I would be willing to bet that playback will be limited to machines like this one or in an editing suite. Even trun key DSD recording systems write the DIFF files to tape to send to a production house.

sacd is dying... sony's own labels aren't even going to put out material for much longer.

blu-ray and hd-dvd are coming
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline cwfen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2005, 05:54:21 PM »
Here's a fluff for the DSD recorder and Panic...(from Doug Oade at the oade.com board)
#2789, "Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD Mode"
Thu Apr-28-05 12:23 PM by Doug

Hi All !
Well, Chris was kind enough to give me space and AC power so I could run the DV-RA1000 last night for my first DSD recording of WSP in Tallahassee Florida.
I ran the Schoeps MTSC-64 into an HHb Classic 80 Mic preamp into the DV-RA1000. I ran the DV-RA1000's input in the bypass mode and that requires a lot of gain. The HHb pre was set to 30 dB of gain and the drive controls set for a fair amount of tube saturation with the output level control at near max. The output stage was set to it's lower output level as I am not fond of the sound in the high output mode, too much noise. This gave me enough level to get near 0dB for the peaks. While I was too tired last night to haul in the gear to connect to my reference system, I have it playing now here at work into a Sony 5000ES driving the Tannoy Dual Concentric and it is a mighty sound. Almost as impressive as the kick ass, heart stopping, soul satisfying sound of the new Widespread Panic ! I am still waiting on another DSD recorder so I can make backups of the data but for now I am doing a transfer to 24/48 on the Warm MOD FR-2. The DSD recorder writes to DVD+RW disc, this made me nervous as I was running it on the risers with dancers creating a fair amount of vibration but so far, no errors or troubles. This thing is damn slow in changing disc. I was worried about chopping the encore so I put my 3rd disc in to be safe. It had to write data on the disc before ejecting and then initialize the new disc. It seemed to take an eternity to do this, I was pleased that upon start up, it jumped forward in record time, writing the data to disc that it had loaded into the memory buffer. I just did get the first note of the encore.
As much as I am impressed by the sound of DSD, that pales by comparison to the power of the new sound of WSP. They are a mighty force that is certain to drive even more deep emotion and heart felt energy into the depths of the souls of their fans for years to come. We are talking a total package here, the new sound system provided by 8th Day is impressive, the best clarity and detail I have heard out of WSP. Everyone was easy to hear at all times, JB's guitar was mixed at the perfect level and I could hear layers and textures in the work he does so easily with his having to be loud in the mix, I just loved it. Chris did a great job as did everyone, the new light rig is sweet. I used to think Chris would be able to equal John O' work, now I feel he is going to press John O to learn more just to keep up .
None of the HF nasties that plagued the older XL4 based system, just clean detailed sound. Possibly the new board, possibly the fact the mic pres were on stage and the phase problems that one gets when a mic pushes several hundred feet of cable , mic splits and various inputs disappeared. Maybe this is why the XL4 sounds merely average ( i.e. too much resolution), in every system with every engineer behind the controls, I just know I like the new rig.
I hope to add more as I am moved to rant on for some time, but sadly, must earn a living !
peace....Doug

BTW, GO SEE PANIC !
and get 100 times your monies worth 

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2005, 06:00:19 PM »
sacd is dying... sony's own labels aren't even going to put out material for much longer.

OK so sacd is dying, but I guess my question is more along the lines of whether or not DSD will actually replace PCM. DSD does not HAVE to be played via SACD, correct?

(I've read all of the threads here at TS, sorry if I'm repeating tired old questions).

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2005, 06:04:22 PM »

yep.  i think both DVD-A and SACD are dying formats.

Offline Tim

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2005, 06:09:04 PM »

OK so sacd is dying, but I guess my question is more along the lines of whether or not DSD will actually replace PCM. DSD does not HAVE to be played via SACD, correct?

(I've read all of the threads here at TS, sorry if I'm repeating tired old questions).

that is true, but I'm not aware of any articles tying dsd to any of the new formats...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2005, 06:27:47 PM »

that is true, but I'm not aware of any articles tying dsd to any of the new formats...

cool, if I could give you a postive T I would, but I don't think I can?

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2005, 07:34:34 PM »
The new formats are storage formats for fitting much more data on a disc which will allow for high definition video data. DSD will work fine with more storage space. But you don't need a 2nd DVD recorder to back up the data. My $300 dvd duplicator does that work just fine.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2005, 08:09:37 PM »
The new formats are storage formats for fitting much more data on a disc which will allow for high definition video data. DSD will work fine with more storage space. But you don't need a 2nd DVD recorder to back up the data. My $300 dvd duplicator does that work just fine.

Exactly, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are not exactly the same thing as DVD-A or SACD although they are using new encoding algorithims for Video on the new discs.  The death or lack thereof for DVD-A and SACD will really be about demand.  I don't see it as something that will ever be something that the main stream market clamors for but I do see it continuing as a Niche market for the audiphile community.  It really does sound that much better.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Tim

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2005, 08:21:01 PM »

Exactly, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are not exactly the same thing as DVD-A or SACD although they are using new encoding algorithims for Video on the new discs. The death or lack thereof for DVD-A and SACD will really be about demand. I don't see it as something that will ever be something that the main stream market clamors for but I do see it continuing as a Niche market for the audiphile community. It really does sound that much better.

I understand the differences, and I'm glad someone is trying this out (dsd recording) I'm just not sure what the future of the format is for our pro-sumer world...

Offline cwfen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »
So, I guess if your player is SACD compatable, and the production and support of the format is "abandoned" by the big names (ie Sony), then there is a decent chance that the software to create such discs (as mentioned before) would be in less demand, thereby possibly being "abandoned" and made much cheaper...Could be good for us trader/archiving/listening nuts!

Offline Tim

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2005, 08:42:36 PM »
So, I guess if your player is SACD compatable, and the production and support of the format is "abandoned" by the big names (ie Sony), then there is a decent chance that the software to create such discs (as mentioned before) would be in less demand, thereby possibly being "abandoned" and made much cheaper...Could be good for us trader/archiving/listening nuts!

until the supply runs dry

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com