Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-9 & 8 Gig Transcend SDHC card  (Read 9808 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
R-9 & 8 Gig Transcend SDHC card
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:00:47 PM »
Hey all... I picked up an 8gig transcend SDHC card a week or so ago when Fry's had them on sale.  Just in case anyone was wondering it works perfectly with the R9 and the new firmware.

I read in a few camera reviews that it was too slow for high speed camera shooting so I wanted to test it out.  Since we need a semi-fast continuous write speed and not a fast burst speed there are no issues.  I recorded 8gigs worth at both 16 and 24 bit with no issues.

If your looking for one keep your eyes open.  Mine came out to $73 after rebate.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: R-9 & 8 Gig Transcend SDHC card
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:09:42 PM »
Cool..... Thats the one I want.....just going to wait for the price to drop a bit...I have 3 two gig cards now and don't like doing "the set break shuffle"..... ;D

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:25:39 PM »
PS... My old 4gig also recorded with the old firmware, however, after transferring to the PC I had to fix the header information for any large recording.  It's probably been said in the R9 firmware thread but the new firmware fixes all these issues and the transferred files play perfectly once recorded.

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:53:24 PM »
hell of a price!  +T

Online spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:58:26 PM »
Questions:

1) Did the R09 split the track at 2gb and continue on recording with the 8GB card?

2) Can the R09 format the 8GB card?

+T for the info too.   :)

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
1) Did the R09 split the track at 2gb and continue on recording with the 8GB card?

Yep... seamless track split.

2) Can the R09 format the 8GB card?

Yep... The R9 formated the card in about 10 seconds. My card reader would not format it.

Also.... A general note.... A photographer friend has an A-Data 8gig SDHC card.  Ran him $90 not on sale.  I tried it in the R9 last night and when recording at 24/48 after the original 2gb split it kept splitting the recording every 2megs.  The R9 showed no errors but when I went to transfer the data to the PC there were hundreds of files.  I did not try 16bit.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:14:55 AM »
2MB files!?
Is that a reproducible bug?
If so, please report to Edirol!

Offline fourdegreeswarmer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shh, i'm taping this...
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 04:21:55 AM »
Also.... A general note.... A photographer friend has an A-Data 8gig SDHC card.  Ran him $90 not on sale.  I tried it in the R9 last night and when recording at 24/48 after the original 2gb split it kept splitting the recording every 2megs.  The R9 showed no errors but when I went to transfer the data to the PC there were hundreds of files.  I did not try 16bit.

I've been having very similar problems with a Transcend 8GB SDHC card, which I have detailed here: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,77163.msg1034595.html#msg1034595

I reported the error to Roland, after suggesting I buy a 4GB card, they told me the following:
"8GB support will likely be added in the future with another firmware update, but v1.10 only supports cards up to 4GB."

(Apologies for cross-posting...)
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:39 AM »
whoa...
good info.  +T

I'm happy w/my 2 4gb cards.
now, if there was only something to record around here.
:(

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:50:33 AM »
+T Degrees. I've just upgraded my firmware and was about to go in search of a well-priced 8g, but willl now stick with my 4 until further notice.  Thanks for posting!
DPA4060
R09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
Just ordered both (2) 4GIG and (1) 8GIG Transcend cards to test with filling up to see if there's repeatable problems with either or both capacities. 

Other than Transcend and A-Data making 8GIG SDHC cards, there are a few others found by a UK taper being sold there, but no information as yet if these work or don't work in R-09 deck.

I'll post test results in this and the other threads this coming week.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 08:30:29 AM »
I'll post test results in this and the other threads this coming week.
Interesting for 8GB because 4GB (non-SDHC, Transcend) worked quiet OK.
Maybe we can get a finger behind the bug for *GB cards taht makes small files? (I read 2MB a piece)
Is this happening all the time after 2GB? Later? When xxx bytes are free?
(might be some overflow?)

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 09:30:02 AM »
For me, it only happened after the first 2gig file. It would then spit out 2kb (not 2mb) files.

If I had a 2gig file already on the card and then started recording, the Edirol would record perfectly until the card was full.
I don't know why, but having a 2gig file on there beforehand seemed to make it work. I think if it was any smaller than 2gig then it didn't work - but I haven't explored that fully yet.

I tried formatted my card on the Edirol, on my PC via the R-09's USB, and via Transcend's external card reader.

Formatting it on the R-09 meant the unit recognised the card immediately on start-up. The other 2 methods, the R-09 said "no card" for a short while, then recognised it.

And in none of the 3 cases did the R-09 split the first 2gig file correctly.

I'll be very interested to see what you find guysonic.
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 02:47:11 AM »
For me, it only happened after the first 2gig file. It would then spit out 2kb (not 2mb) files.

If I had a 2gig file already on the card and then started recording, the Edirol would record perfectly until the card was full.
I don't know why, but having a 2gig file on there beforehand seemed to make it work. I think if it was any smaller than 2gig then it didn't work - but I haven't explored that fully yet.
I.e.: with 2GB used and 6GB remaining things would work differently if a new recording would start from that point?

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:47:52 AM »
I.e.: with 2GB used and 6GB remaining things would work differently if a new recording would start from that point?

Yes it would work fine from that point. But it's 2GB used and about 5.5GB remaining, because the formatted card came in at like 7.5GB.
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 11:38:02 AM »
I've reused the Transcend card formatting it each time before recording and the issue is reproducible.  I've opened a ticket with Edirol and they  say there have been other reports and they are currently testing with more brands of cards.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 01:07:29 PM »
Hmm. I just strarted testing myself.
Because batteries ran out I am now at file 6 (1 was already on the card) with 1h46 remaining.
So no bug yet?
What triggers the bug?
The filesystem properties?
(I did not format the card, I used it as it came from the packaging)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 04:24:07 AM »
Just unpacked (2)4 GIG and (1)8 GIG Transcend cards for testing in the R-09.  All cards immediately recognized with full capacity BEFORE format.  Then in-deck (no USB) formatted the card, and checked for capacity; got identical OK results

R-09 has a Test Mode accessed by holding down Finder/Menu and Repeat buttons while turning on PWR.   12 selections allow some kind of minimal function of virtually all electrical audio/digital & button-switch input/outputs, the display, and internal-external memory, clock, USB control. 

Menu Exiting requires selecting last #12 Factory Reset and pushing REC button, turn off power, and removing the AC adapter external powering to reset the deck to normal operation. 

Rear deck slide switches should be set with left row in LEFT, and right row in RIGHT positions for audio function tests.
Selection of Tests from the menu requires holding down the Menu button, then navigating with the << or >> button

Of particular interest is test #2 with sub items Flash program check sum, SDRAM, Clock, M66592 (USB), and SD card test. 

Without SD card, immediate-acting completion of first 4 sub items, and then indicates 'No Card' whereby testing quickly starts when inserting an SD card that if OK, menu goes on to next #3 ext mic test.  Navigating back to #2 quickly repeats all 5 sub tests jumping again to #3 if all pass again. 

8 GIG card tested OK at many times faster than full card format time, so doubt little more than short write/read function test, and card may require reformatting removing the test files before normal use.  It would be interesting if known problem SDHC card tests OK or NOT with fast minimal function tests like this.

I'll post more after audio input recording many hours of test files at 24bit/44.1K rate.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:59 PM »
8 GIG card tested OK at many times faster than full card format time, so doubt little more than short write/read function test, and card may require reformatting removing the test files before normal use.  It would be interesting if known problem SDHC card tests OK or NOT with fast minimal function tests like this.

I ran the Test Mode, and the checked my problem 8GB SDHC card - it seemed to be fine. It said something like "Device test OK" and instantly moved on to the 4th screen -that's what's supposed to happen, yes?
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »

I ran the Test Mode, and the checked my problem 8GB SDHC card - it seemed to be fine. It said something like "Device test OK" and instantly moved on to the 4th screen -that's what's supposed to happen, yes?

This seems same as result I got with 'passed OK' SD card. 

So far, no Transcend card has failed this test, but 8 GIG produced multiple 1.05k small files after first 2 GIG file eventually locking up with 'slow card error' requiring complete power removal (ac adapter/batteries) before reset was possible.  But seems to work if one or more files are made first before letting the card automatically make a series of over 2 GIG size files which it seems to do only if >2 GIG auto series doesn't start with file number 1 at start of card?   More testing hopes to confirm consistency of getting this tactic as work-around for 8 GIG. 

Tried 4 GIG card and NO problem with making number 1 file auto span to making second 2 GIG, so it seems problem with 8 GIG Transcend, or maybe also other 8 GIG brands?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 01:15:05 AM »
So far, no Transcend card has failed this test, but 8 GIG produced multiple 1.05k small files after first 2 GIG file eventually locking up with 'slow card error' requiring complete power removal (ac adapter/batteries) before reset was possible.  But seems to work if one or more files are made first before letting the card automatically make a series of over 2 GIG size files which it seems to do only if >2 GIG auto series doesn't start with file number 1 at start of card?   More testing hopes to confirm consistency of getting this tactic as work-around for 8 GIG. 

Tried 4 GIG card and NO problem with making number 1 file auto span to making second 2 GIG, so it seems problem with 8 GIG Transcend, or maybe also other 8 GIG brands?
In my test I had one small file already present. I did not see the bug.
So it is very important to precisely describe the starting situation? (empty, xx files, etc)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 02:06:25 AM »

So it is very important to precisely describe the starting situation? (empty, xx files, etc)

Reformatted 8 GIG with #1 file of  254 meg size, then tried auto span again with #2 file reaching 2.05 gig with again fault with hundreds of 1.54K files.

Now will try a series of smaller <2.05 gig files (making several ~250 meg size) to see if needing at least 1 or more files of what(?) total size is required to NOT have fault with auto span with 8 gig Transcend.  Hoping to find < 2 gig prefilled card will get past having this auto span fault occur.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 12:17:46 PM »
Weird.
My SD card had one (very) short file before starting.
The numbers on the display showed that the R09 came to file number 6 (had to change batteries during the test).
So that looks OK to me.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »
I was able to recreate with Transcent and A-Data 8 gig cards.  I'll borrow the A-Data again and go through the test procedures above.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »

Reformatted 8 GIG with #1 file of  254 meg size, then tried auto span again with #2 file reaching 2.05 gig with again fault with hundreds of 1.54K files.

Now will try a series of smaller <2.05 gig files (making several ~250 meg size) to see if needing at least 1 or more files of what(?) total size is required to NOT have fault with auto span with 8 gig Transcend.  Hoping to find < 2 gig prefilled card will get past having this auto span fault occur.

Tested to find NO problem with auto-span on 4 GIG SDHC Transcend, but seems 8 GIG version needs at least ~1.6 GIG worth of files before auto-spanning the end of the next 2 GIG file without 'hundreds of small files' fault occurring. 

Suggest mostly continuous live venue recording using just 4 GIG capacity cards. 

8 GIG card is fine if intending to make smaller (<2 gig) files most of the time, or like most people tend to record rural natural or urban city ambient sounds while traveling where having a large capacity card is most convenient. Otherwise it makes little sense to use 8 gig, at least until a firmware revision fixes auto-span fault. 

Online spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 12:47:44 PM »
If the R09 can recognize an 8GB card, I think most of the battle has been won.  The next firmware should clean that up.  I bet by spring that firmware will be out.  8GB card would put Edirol way out ahead of the competition and they and everyone else knows it.  Something for us to look forward to for summer festivals, for sure.   :)

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »
Yeah, I've just bought a 4gig card to tide me over until the next firmware... Thanks to everyone (especially you guysonic) for your efforts in trying to figure this out  :)
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline phr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
Newegg is selling the 8gb Adata card for $70 which is much cheaper per gb than any 4gb card, so if the R09 doesn't support 8gb they really should fix the bug.  SDHC is supposed to work out to 32gb and Panasonic says they will have 16gb cards this year, so it will be a lot better if the r09 can work with those.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »
Sent Edirol a support email summing up the issues from this thread.  Here is the response that I got.

Dana,

The latest R-09 firmware is only officially working with cards up to 4 gigs. 
Some people are reported 8 gig cards which work, but I would suggest you see if
this same issue occurs with 4 gig cards.  Make sure you see \"SDHC Class 2\" on
the card, as well.  In the meantime, I will check and see if we can duplicate
this here, and I\'ll call you at the number provided.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »
To my surprise when coming out of Costco today I got a call from Edirol support.  They apologized for the slow response (even though I only sent the email Friday) but they were all at CES.

Anyway, They are going to get a transcend 8gig card to test my issue but they also mentioned firmware 1.20 was about to be released.  The person I talked to was surprised that the Japanese version was not already up on their site and expected all versions to be up in the next couple of days.  End of week at the latest.

He said there were a few cool new features along with improved SDHC support.

- Stealth mode - Turns off the red light when recording. 8)
- Adjustable split size - Lets the user determine when to split the file that is being recorded.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 06:38:36 AM »
To my surprise when coming out of Costco today I got a call from Edirol support.  They apologized for the slow response (even though I only sent the email Friday) but they were all at CES.

Anyway, They are going to get a transcend 8gig card to test my issue but they also mentioned firmware 1.20 was about to be released.  The person I talked to was surprised that the Japanese version was not already up on their site and expected all versions to be up in the next couple of days.  End of week at the latest.

He said there were a few cool new features along with improved SDHC support.

- Stealth mode - Turns off the red light when recording. 8)
- Adjustable split size - Lets the user determine when to split the file that is being recorded.

Thank you for very welcome news. Edirol R-09 firmware support seems uncommonly timely, as is the returned call after busy CES convention.   Partial listing of new firmware features indicates user comments are heard and considered. 

Gives hope to Edirol hardware engineering successfully correcting analog input minijack mechanical shortcomings any day now!

Mini-jack breaking problem has existed for going on 6 months. A few months ago one near miss try at a quick fix that doesn't work, so no solution as yet. Problem has existed for too long and something needs be done for too many decks already sold like extended input jack parts/labor warranty or official recall seems better. Thread for this at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=dc5cb19c3eae03a2a98a47d2a8b6b290&topic=71160.msg1041303#msg1041303

While new 1.20 version is great news for new refinements and fault fixes, loss of analog input, because something too easily breaks, seems a far more serious 'show stopper' than firmware shortcomings at this point. 

For 4 GIG card use, R-09 is already virtually flawless in providing long running reliable recording, but only if the input jack holds up or solely using the internal mics.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 06:45:16 AM by guysonic »

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »
wow great information!  thanks china_rider.  I am surprised because the 8gig cf card did not work in my r01...

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »
Has anyone tried the 8gb cards with Friday's 1.20 firmware?

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 02:52:19 PM »
<sigh> yeah... same problem. even if i change the auto-split to 1gb or 512mb
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »

So, bottom line, wait to buy the 8gb cards?
Thanks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2007, 06:16:55 PM »

So, bottom line, wait to buy the 8gb cards?
Thanks
Yeah, pretty much.
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.
Bummer!  I need another SD card for my GPS, so I thought a nice new 8gb for the R09 would free up a 4gb for the GPS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com