Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denon 2910 help  (Read 2828 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Denon 2910 help
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
I'm definitely having my share of difficulties today. I am now using the 2910 for audio playback only. My 2910 will play my 24bit recordings thru both my 2 channel system and my DAC1, but won't play SACD's or DVDA's. I reset it to factory default and no change. It has to be something in the audio settings. Help appreciated as always.

Thanks, ts.

edit to add: I seem to have corrected the problem by changing the LPCM setting to on. :hmmm: So since I'm using this for audio only, I would really appreciate it if someone could run thru the audio only settings for me:

Audio channel: leave on multi or 2 channel surround off or on.

Digi output: normal or pcm

LPCM: off or on (on downsamples to 44.1/48??) When I select off for this setting I lose DVDA and SACD playability however my 24bit recordings still play. Copyright issue??

source direct: off or on

bass enhancer: off or on

compression: off or on

sacd filter: 50khz or 100 khz.

And last but not least, the Pure Direct mode. Do anything with this?

Thanks again, tony
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:57:13 AM by ts »

Offline ts

Re: Denon 2910 help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »
anyone?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
The denon can be configured to pass data or decode data.  If you configure it to decode (the LPCM setting), it will send LPCM out through the spdif.  If you configure it to pass the data, it will just relay the stream over spdif and your external unit will need to decode the stream.  This is also the case for regular video DVDs.  So if your outboard DAC can't decode Dolby or DTS encoded streams (sounds like it doesn't), you need to configure the Denon to do the decoding in which case it will send decoded and down mixed 2ch LPCM out the spdif.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »
The denon can be configured to pass data or decode data.  If you configure it to decode (the LPCM setting), it will send LPCM out through the spdif.  If you configure it to pass the data, it will just relay the stream over spdif and your external unit will need to decode the stream.  This is also the case for regular video DVDs.  So if your outboard DAC can't decode Dolby or DTS encoded streams (sounds like it doesn't), you need to configure the Denon to do the decoding in which case it will send decoded and down mixed 2ch LPCM out the spdif.

So with the LPCM set to on I can play store bought DVDA's. With it set to off I can only play 24bit "boots". Sounds like copyright crap, no. My DAC1 and integrated will lock to anything as long as LPCM is on. So thats were I want to be? Just confused by the apparent downsampling to 44/48khz when LPCM is set to on.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
So with the LPCM set to on I can play store bought DVDA's. With it set to off I can only play 24bit "boots". Sounds like copyright crap, no. My DAC1 and integrated will lock to anything as long as LPCM is on. So thats were I want to be? Just confused by the apparent downsampling to 44/48khz when LPCM is set to on.

The DAC1 dosn't decode DTS or dolby so it only accepts LPCM in spdif streams maked "audio".  Whn you set LPCM mode off, the denon will pass the encoded stream that the DAC1 can't play.  That affects some high resolution audio discs and I think almost all commercial video DVDs.  You need to enable LPCM mode if you don't have an external decoder and are playing back encoded streams (SACD, HDCD, DTS, Dolby).

I had to check the manual about the down sampling.  Apparently that is just something that the 2910 is stuck with.  Page 13 has a table of the spdif output a given configuration and source.

If you want 24/96 LPCM out SPDIF, you have to have a non-copyright DVD-A or DVD-V with LPCM audio tracks (like the DVDs we make of our recordings) and set LPCM to "off".  Otherwise all LPCM (encoded streams and high rate LPCM) is output as 48khz or 44khz.

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

The DAC1 dosn't decode DTS or dolby so it only accepts LPCM in spdif streams maked "audio".  Whn you set LPCM mode off, the denon will pass the encoded stream that the DAC1 can't play.  That affects some high resolution audio discs and I think almost all commercial video DVDs.  You need to enable LPCM mode if you don't have an external decoder and are playing back encoded streams (SACD, HDCD, DTS, Dolby).

I had to check the manual about the down sampling.  Apparently that is just something that the 2910 is stuck with.  Page 13 has a table of the spdif output a given configuration and source.

If you want 24/96 LPCM out SPDIF, you have to have a non-copyright DVD-A or DVD-V with LPCM audio tracks (like the DVDs we make of our recordings) and set LPCM to "off".  Otherwise all LPCM (encoded streams and high rate LPCM) is output as 48khz or 44khz.

Thanks Mike. Thats what I thought was going on. So to playback our 24bit stuff I have to set LPCM off to hear full resolution. In order to even hear DVDA's (store boughts) I have to set it to on. What a pita! Hard to do without a monitor hooked up :laugh: Any other solutions here? Analog outs for the copyrighted stuff? ::)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:17:54 PM by ts »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
I don't know about the 2910 but on my 2900 I was able to get to all the configuration stuff I needed using the panel display.

As for using the analog outs, yeah that would be the easiest thing to do.  Configure the 2910 with LPCM=off, run SPDIF to your DAC1 and run an analog pair to your preamp.  Then you can switch your pre between the DAC1 and 2910 depending on what you are playing and you don't have to deal with the 2910 configuration menu everytime you switch formats.

If you want to feed commercial DVD-As to your DAC1, if you have a PC you have a solution.

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »
I'll try the panel display, if no luck I'll just run some analog outs to my integrated. Or we have my OPPO. It will play commercial DVDA's thru the spdif, but inserts gaps in my 24 bit stuff. Another big :hmmm:

Thanks again Mike. See you on the road someday. +T's for a week for putting up with me on a Sunday :)

Tony
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:52:15 AM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com