Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 127528 times)

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
impressed!

Thanks jerryfreak, for the field report. Happy as anyone, to hear of your positive results! Who knows, mebbe I got a lemon?! My Bluetooth connects perfectly fine with my MixPre-10T's Wingman app. Will remove/reload the Roland app, first. I did download it on a commuter train ride home (which shouldn't matter)...

Ah yes, zippering. Couldn't think of the technical term. I was among the early guinea pigs with the DR-60, and experienced same, which wasn't as much of an issue in play. My point was, this zippering was much more evident to me, when putting it through it's initial paces. I record on the louder side of the scale, so it may not be intrusive...

Still curious about how/if this can handle a line level signal, as I'd love to be able to control a board feed with it remotely, if/when my Bluetooth issue is resolved.

Back to the drawing board...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:23:51 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
^ Thanks. Android or iOS?

Same question for those who posted about bt woes...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
Pixel XL = Android
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
Got some feedback from a Dutch taper who used it in the field, but found the mic in far too easy to overload with a 12V battery box or the Church Ugly pre. Only way he could get the R07 to work was with mics straight in (no pre or batt box) and the internal 3V PIP. If accurate, that would make it useless for me. A $230 paperweight.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:21:38 PM by jj69 »

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
impressed!

ran 4v>nbobs>tinybox>r07 it was flawless

How loud was this show?

I'm not familiar with your gear. Is the output level similar to Church CA-14 through a 12V battery box?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
medium bar loud. i was about 20 feet from the PA

id have to look up the gain settings on the tinybox, they are all custom
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »
ask him what the input level was set to

as you see from my recording above of the opening band with the 4V>tinybox, it was not overloading the input when i ran an input that was enough to give it FSD at an input level of 10. i thought for sure it would be brickwalling in that config but it came out alright 

Got some feedback from a Dutch taper who used it in the field, but found the mic in far too easy to overload with a 12V battery box or the Church Ugly pre. Only way he could get the R07 to work was with mics straight in (no pre or batt box) and the internal 3V PIP. If accurate, that would make it useless for me. A $230 paperweight.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:47:08 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline KenOrwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
impressed!

Thanks jerryfreak, for the field report. Happy as anyone, to hear of your positive results! Who knows, mebbe I got a lemon?! My Bluetooth connects perfectly fine with my MixPre-10T's Wingman app. Will remove/reload the Roland app, first. I did download it on a commuter train ride home (which shouldn't matter)...

Ah yes, zippering. Couldn't think of the technical term. I was among the early guinea pigs with the DR-60, and experienced same, which wasn't as much of an issue in play. My point was, this zippering was much more evident to me, when putting it through it's initial paces. I record on the louder side of the scale, so it may not be intrusive...

Still curious about how/if this can handle a line level signal, as I'd love to be able to control a board feed with it remotely, if/when my Bluetooth issue is resolved.

Back to the drawing board...

Dear Customer, thanks for the information, the problem has been communicated to Roland and I am waiting for news.
The problem could be solved with a further firmware update.
Thanks!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »
The Dr-60d does not have the zipper issue currently fwiw
I can't recall how it was fixed but it was fixed so maybe this recorder can be fixed too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline akrabu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »
Just got my R-07 in the mail!  I've lurked these forums for awhile, but just now got around to creating an account haha.  I use a Sony PCM-M10 with some Church mics for the most part.  I've also had several Tascam and Olympus recorders over the years.

Anyway, the first thing I tried was recording a track off my record player.  I split the signal and recorded at the same time.  44.1kHz/24-bit.  The band is AJJ.  Here's what I got:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/832bukalgn9jmrn/AAC-ukodNOiQqlJl8ey64n9ia?dl=0

Only thing I did was trim and normalize.  :coolguy:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:48:29 PM by akrabu »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2018, 06:10:58 PM »
15%  sitewide ebay coupon PMAY4TH expires at 7pm PST

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2018, 11:17:41 AM »
I’ve been doing some line-in soundboard stuff. Superb results.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
What memory cards are folks using with success?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
I tried my R07 for the first time last night with great results. I was open taping The Ike Willis Project and Micki Free. The music ranged from Micki's LOUD Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Peter Green very (very) loud music, to Ike's pretty darn loud Zappa like music. Both artists had impressive sets. The deck handled it all without any issues. In fact I had forgotten I set the deck to record a second track at lower dB, and that track was very very low. I used AT 853>Naiant Pipsqueak>Roland R07.

Because as stated above I was open taping using the MixPre6 with 3 sets of mics, I made sure to move levels and play around. I controlled the deck mainly from my phone to get a feel for that. I changed levels quite a bit and had no zipper effect at all. Maybe this was due to the very loud volume, but nothing audible at all.

I had no trouble at all with the Bluetooth, but I believe that it is meant to be used a certain way. If you lock the deck (on the deck with the power button in lock position) which I did, the remote from the phone will still control the levels as well as record, stop, start and all. After doing whatever I need to do, I either close the app or move off the app to texting camera or whatever, so I do not accidentally hit stop or change levels. At this point the app releases the deck and I think that is a protective measure. If I want to check levels later or make changes later on, I press the app and a search button appears, I press that button, the deck appears, I press that and it instantly connects, I hit the go back arrow and have functionality once again. It all takes just a few seconds. In my usage last night I thought that was great for my intended use, because I can stuff the deck and Pipsqueak or my UGLY into my pocket locked and use my phone to make changes without any fear of shoving the phone in my pocket and screwing anything up. It felt to me as if this was thought through in the design to allow the best usage and protection with the remote control by phone. As for the Bluetooth setting on the deck, once you activate it within the menu, it remains on always, until you disable it. So you can power off the deck and the next time you turn it on, the Bluetooth light will light showing you that you can connect to your phone app at any time you choose. This could be a battery drain, but you could turn it off if you do not plan to use the remote. I had 2 rechargeable LADDA (Ikea) batteries in the deck, had it on and/or running from 7pm til just after midnight and showed nearly full battery after. Normally I use and external to be safe, and certainly if I shove it in a pocket that is an easy option, but It will not be necessary unless it is a  >:D marathon.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
^Thanks for your testing and commentary on the R-07!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com