Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK A51s>V2 and ADK TL>Littlebox comparison  (Read 3029 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
ADK A51s>V2 and ADK TL>Littlebox comparison
« on: July 17, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »

This is in no way intended to be a scientific experiment so don't start in with all that kind of talk....it's just a fun comp.

Both rigs were on the same stand set up XY...Scott's on the right mine on the left. There was a few inches height difference so we could get both XY setups on the same stand as the clamps had to be staggered. There's a support column with a cocktail table built around it about 10 ft from the stage. We put the stand on the table and taped it to the support column. Mics ended up being about 8 ft high. From this position you get the suspended mains (one of which has some issues, I've had to add +6dB to the left channel each time I record there) off axis and the stage sound very direct.

I took the output of Scott's deck and ran it into the extra input of mine. The levels were fairly close on both decks.

Scott = ADK A51s> Lunatec V2 > Tascam DR07
Me = ADK TL> Naiant Littlebox> Tascam DR2d

Notes -
the A51s were purchased from Kevin at ADK during that fire sale a while back...$100 pair
the TLs were purchased from different people at different times and are not matched...they are close in output though...$500 pair
going rate for a used V2 ~$600-700
going rate for a Littlebox like mine ~$280

I loaded both files into Wavelab and picked a track that had full instrumentation and vocals. I cut out 10 seconds of each file alternating so it switches sources every ten seconds.

The phase scope in Wavelab showed that Scott's rig was closer to well aligned XY than mine so the TL source exhibits some (although not much) of the phasing associated with near coincident patterns.

The band is Speakeasy from Springfield, MO. They are great and I had an awesome night...thanks for the ride home Scott!

here it is http://www.sendspace.com/file/ujkmrh

Please share your thoughts

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ADK A51s>V2 and ADK TL>Littlebox comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »
I find the first source to be more aesthetic.  The soundstage is a little greater and the low end a bit rounder and more prominent.   That said, this source seems rather colored with somewhat of a reverby flavor to it, which is pleasing but perhaps a bit obtrusive to the transparency of the recording.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »
Interesting!

In this case, I think I like the first sample a bit more.  It seems a bit more "airy", and the second source seems a little warmer.  I'm listening with headphones, and to be honest,  coincident recordings generally sound "narrow" to me with headphones, so if one sounds a little "wider" it will almost always sound better.

I own both a set of A51's and a set of TL's.  I generally run either into my V3.  The TL's are my "go to" mics that I have probably run close to 100 times, and I have only used the A51's a few times.  I have always intended to run both into my R4, but have never gotten around to it.  The few times I ran the A51's I got the impression they were a bit warmer than the TL's, but now I'm not so sure.  And I probably have an affinity for Grace preamps.

I'm guessing the first sample is the TL's and the second sample is the A-51's?
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »
I'm guessing the first sample is the TL's and the second sample is the A-51's?

Get that man his chicken dinner!

Seems like the TLs present the midrange a little more forward and the A51s have more crispy in the top end. One thing I noticed ABing between sources in Wavelab is that the A51s presented more of the kick drum side of the low end and the TLs promote the upper bass register a little more. From a distance the A51s would prob rule.

Scott's source also is more focused even though we were both using the "close enough" XY technique. When it first switches sources around 10 seconds you can almost feel the music tighten up and become more focused...like a good coincident pattern should.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

kirk97132

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »
Ya gotta admit it's amazing how well a $50 mic stands up even when pitted against much more expensive mics.  I could fluff ADK all day but I believe that you get a BIG bang for the buck with them. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »
Thanks for putting this up.

I just picked up a DR2d for the 2X stereo. Haven't run TL's into it yet, just a couple different mini omnis.  The last Tascam gear I had was a mid-80's porta studio 25 years ago- never used a DR07.  All else equal, do these two recorders sound pretty much the same to you guys?

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
Ya gotta admit it's amazing how well a $50 mic stands up even when pitted against much more expensive mics.  I could fluff ADK all day but I believe that you get a BIG bang for the buck with them.

Actually, I think it also strengthens the case of tapers like Dan Nolan who put at least as much or more of their focus on the preamp, whereas most on taperssection tend to put more stock in the mics. 

I've heard some pretty low cost mics sounding pretty darn nice, for example, with an aerco plugged in behind them.

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 01:42:57 PM »
^^^ I agree that you can get a nice recording with mics that don't break the bank.  I have a pull of Stockholm Syndrome show from Eugene with ADK's and a set of EV mics sounds pretty damn good and if you consider that the total mic investment wasunder $800 for six mics it sounds great IMNSHO >:DGotta say I wish I had the money to grab the TL's in the YS now.  If I could only hit the powerball............
Link: http://www.archive.org/details/ss2010-03-04.aud_matrix.K-Davis.flac16

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com