Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where to purchase good cables?  (Read 4335 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Where to purchase good cables?
« on: February 06, 2006, 03:07:29 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to make my own cables. I got all the plugs I need now. Now I need to find an online store that sells cables at a good price. Can someone tell me where to purchase some good balance cables (eg Canare)? Are they sold in meters?
Thanks
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Where to purchase good cables?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 03:32:04 PM »
I have some nice silver clad minature starquad availble for $1 a foot.  Shoot me a PM if you are interested.  markertek has canare starquad available by the foot.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »
I have some nice silver clad minature starquad availble for $1 a foot.  Shoot me a PM if you are interested.  markertek has canare starquad available by the foot.

Can you or someone else post a list of sources?  I really like this Belden cable.   I already bought 35' of it.  Perhaps I would buy a larger amount if it were cheaper.  I'm not looking to sell it, but I guess you weren't either :).  What did you end up with, 1000 ft or something???

Also, do you have any opinion on Canare vs. Belden, etc.  I'm mainly interested in the ruggedness of the cable.  I'm looking for thin and rugged cable (for actives!).  I could use regular or star quad.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 03:24:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies... There are many cables to compare and I don't know which one to get. Let me tell you what I'm trying to make first. I'm trying to make a cable so that I can connect my microtrack (2X balance 1/4 TRS) to my Sound Devices MixPre (2X balance Female XLR). Should I purchase audio cables or mic cables?

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=L%2D4E6S&off=53&sort=prod

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=L%2D4E5C+BK&off=51&sort=prod

Is there any differences in the above 2 and if so which one do you recommend for my setup?

Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 05:06:40 PM »
scyue, did you get my samples(was that you that emailed??)

teddy

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »

Can you or someone else post a list of sources?  I really like this Belden cable.   I already bought 35' of it.  Perhaps I would buy a larger amount if it were cheaper.  I'm not looking to sell it, but I guess you weren't either :).  What did you end up with, 1000 ft or something???

Also, do you have any opinion on Canare vs. Belden, etc.  I'm mainly interested in the ruggedness of the cable.  I'm looking for thin and rugged cable (for actives!).  I could use regular or star quad.

Thanks,
  Richard

I dont know if I would really call it rugged by anymeans. depending on how you see rugged.  But I have Been running the Belden 1804a cable For about 6 months and Its holding up very well for me.  And sounds Great IMO.
This is also the cable used for the Jk lab's box's.  I would say it would be My first and only choice at making my own Active cables.

here is a pic Of one of the cables I made.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47566.msg620667#msg620667

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 06:48:54 PM »
I dont know if I would really call it rugged by anymeans. depending on how you see rugged.  But I have Been running the Belden 1804a cable For about 6 months and Its holding up very well for me.  And sounds Great IMO.
This is also the cable used for the Jk lab's box's.  I would say it would be My first and only choice at making my own Active cables.

Hey, that's good to know.  Thanks.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:43:05 PM »
scyue, did you get my samples(was that you that emailed??)

teddy

Yes, it was me... I just sent you a private email..Thanks.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 09:25:27 PM »
Jerry at Posthorn has Schoeps active cable.  I think it is $1.25/foot.

1804a is .115" or so. Canare mini star quad is .156" and the Schoeps is .135" (by memory).

It is very very rugged stuff and engineered to not develop handling noise problems.  The outer jacket is very heavy and thick. There is a second sealed layer that is also very tough. The shield is also very thick. It is bare copper with no plating. There are only 3 conductors, that is all you need.  They are copper with no plating.

It is a custom cable and I'm sure they could have gone silver clad. I have always wondered how the kc5 would sound with different cables.  Same for 4022's...

Neumann seems to use a similar cable but I've never cut any open and don't have a source. We should try and get some.

The 1804a shield coverage is low at 78% so it is more prone to handling noise. It is also an "un paired" cable.

I recently made some splitters with 1804 and covered the cable with techflex.  I'd consider doing that if using it for actives.

The nbox uses a Mogami cable that appears a little heavier duty than the 1804a. I'm curious about using that for other applications.  I don't know what model it is.  Anyone?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 09:50:50 PM »
Jerry at Posthorn has Schoeps active cable.  I think it is $1.25/foot.

1804a is .115" or so. Canare mini star quad is .156" and the Schoeps is .135" (by memory).

It is very very rugged stuff and engineered to not develop handling noise problems.  The outer jacket is very heavy and thick. There is a second sealed layer that is also very tough. The shield is also very thick. It is bare copper with no plating. There are only 3 conductors, that is all you need.  They are copper with no plating.

Thanks for the info!

Are there two shields or just one?  The shield is braided (not foil) right?

It is a custom cable and I'm sure they could have gone silver clad. I have always wondered how the kc5 would sound with different cables.  Same for 4022's...

I honestly don't believe in all this "silver coated" stuff.  And if Neumann or Scheops use plain copper, that should be fine.  They obviously know what they are doing :)  Maybe silver coated is better for longer runs?  Can anyone explain this?

Neumann seems to use a similar cable but I've never cut any open and don't have a source. We should try and get some.

The 1804a shield coverage is low at 78% so it is more prone to handling noise. It is also an "un paired" cable.

What do you mean by "handling noise"?  And why should the shield coverage matter?  I thought shield coverage was more relevant for RF leakage, for example.  At audio frequencies any degree of coverage should be fine.  As long as it is braided, that is what you need for flexibility and wear, it should be fine, right?

So, for actives I'm looking for rugged cable with three or more conductors and a braided shield.  1804a should work.

For other uses, either one or two pairs and a braided shield.  I was considering running two mics down a starquad cable, but that is probably not good (crosstalk between channels?).  I probably want a cable with either two twisted pairs, or better yet, two self-contained balanced, shielded cables, all within an outer shield.

Which brings the question: Why do we need starquad for a single balanced cable anyway?  Can someone provide a technical explanation/reference for this?  I have noticed that AT853 cable is like this as well.  But in this case the pairs are twisted.  I always thought this was just for redundancy, if one of the wires broke.  But maybe there is a reason.

I recently made some splitters with 1804 and covered the cable with techflex.  I'd consider doing that if using it for actives.

The nbox uses a Mogami cable that appears a little heavier duty than the 1804a. I'm curious about using that for other applications.  I don't know what model it is.  Anyone?

Thanks again for digging...
  Richard

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:23:29 AM »
OK, I just read up on starquad cable (on the Canare website).  I stand corrected.  *Somehow* it reduces pickup and handling noise compared to single pair cable.  I'm not sure how, but somehow.

Richard

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 10:24:53 AM »
the reason that the starquad rejects noise is because of it's design.  4 conductors equidistant around a center point will reject noise.  that is why the starquad is popular in studios handling noise and electrical noise is reduced to nothing. 
that is the main reason i started kind kables using the canare starquad cable.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 04:03:16 PM »
Check out BTX.COM they sell great builk cable like Mogami and you dont have to buy 1000 feet of it you can purchase what you need.

Chris Church

quote author=scyue link=topic=58954.msg777551#msg777551 date=1139256449]
Hi, I'm trying to make my own cables. I got all the plugs I need now. Now I need to find an online store that sells cables at a good price. Can someone tell me where to purchase some good balance cables (eg Canare)? Are they sold in meters?
Thanks
[/quote]

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com