Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Difference between optical inputs (ad20 to MT)  (Read 2522 times)

Offline redbook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Difference between optical inputs (ad20 to MT)
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:04:24 AM »
I'm a little confused about this.

I run DPA mics to a AD20 with optical (toslink) outputs to a JB3. I've been thinking to upgrade to Edirol or even better, to a MT.
AFAIK Edirol doesn't do any kind of digi in, and the MT digital input is SPDIF. IS there a way to connect the AD20 output to a MT?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Difference between optical inputs (ad20 to MT)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 04:25:56 AM »
if the ad20 doesn't have a coax digi out, you'll need something like a hosa to convert the optical signal to a coax signal.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:30:44 AM »
that's what I thought... I run a modded AD20 version which takes 1/8" inputs and acts as a batt box for the DPAs too, all in order to run as stealthy as possible.
Get an additional box just to get a signal conversion won't be so cool. That hosa box is a simple signal conversion or does it do anything else?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 04:37:17 AM »
just signal conversion i think.

if you're looking at upgrading to an mt, i'd consider the r1 or the upcoming r09 and ditch the ad20.  I'd get a battery box to power the mics and then run them into the edirol.  Lots of users say the pre/adc in that is quite good.  I've never heard it compared to the ad20, but I bet it would compete with it just fine.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 09:23:27 AM »
the AD-20 should have two digital outputs, the optical output, and an 1/8" S/PDIF output.  if you go to radio shack (or someplace similar), you can get a mono 1/8" to RCA adaptor, and then just run a regular coax cable to the MT.  certainly, a smaller option than running a separate format converter box...

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 01:40:33 PM »
the AD-20 should have two digital outputs, the optical output, and an 1/8" S/PDIF output.  if you go to radio shack (or someplace similar), you can get a mono 1/8" to RCA adaptor, and then just run a regular coax cable to the MT.  certainly, a smaller option than running a separate format converter box...

This is true. I ran an AD-20 for some time and fed to a D7 & D8 via a 7pin>coax SDIF without any issues. Just need the 1/8 mono>coax adapter from RS as Jason suggested to the run a standard 75ohm coax digi cable from device to device. They even make them in gold. Should be no issues for the  AD>MT via SPDIF lineup.
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 02:12:32 PM »

Just need the 1/8 mono>coax adapter from RS as Jason suggested to the run a standard 75ohm coax digi cable from device to device. They even make them in gold. Should be no issues for the  AD>MT via SPDIF lineup.

I'm running an AD-20 > MT and this is correct. Todd R will do a custom cable if you want to go with right-angle connectors.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com