Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maggie love fest?  (Read 7796 times)

Offline jjjewett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • brown trout
    • my website
Re: Maggie love fest?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 05:48:35 PM »
They are a great intro to audiophile sound.

exactly

jpschust

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2004, 05:55:57 PM »

No other $550 speaker will give you the amount of WOW factor the MMG's do, though.  The imaging and natural timber/tone of instruments are incredible at that price.  They are a great intro to audiophile sound.

Craig, I don't know that I'd agree with that.  I think there are a lot of speakers +/- 50 bucks from 550 that will give you just as good of sound, even some with better sound.  one of the things that newbies to the audiophile game love about them is how different they look than other sorts of speakers.  im not dissing the sound of them all- i think they sound great, especially at the price point, but my point is that there are a lot of other speakers at that price point that sound great as well.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 06:17:54 PM »
I think there are a lot of speakers +/- 50 bucks from 550 that will give you just as good of sound, even some with better sound.

Do tell.  In researching my speakers, I didn't find any speakers in the price range with the broad-based positive feedback of the MMGs.  I spent a good chunk of time reading reviews on audioasylum, audiogon, etc., not so much places like audioreview.com.  I didn't have the time, inclination, or the dealer relationship to test-listen a whole range of speakers, so I read up quite a bit.  I'm sure others here would love to hear of speakers in the same price range with as good or better imaging, detail, soundstaging, and...whatever other sonic characteristics you find especially positive in comparably priced speakers.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jpschust

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 06:40:09 PM »
well it depends on what exactly you are going for.  the swans diva 4.1 is right in that price range, especially used.  the b&w 700 series bookshelf speakers are in that range (i believe), there are some paradigms in that range, there is a lot out there. 

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2004, 07:10:43 AM »
No other $550 speaker will give you the amount of WOW factor the MMG's do, though.  The imaging and natural timber/tone of instruments are incredible at that price.  They are a great intro to audiophile sound.

and therein lies the answer as to why the Maggies are such a love fest.
they can't be beat for the money.  Yes, there are limitations, but there are far more advanteges to outweigh them.

i am still dreaming of that magnepan sound, and i'm very certain that I'll own another pair someday.  I could easily see a set of 3.2r or 3.3r (or 3.6 if i'm lucky) in my living room with a nice sub. 

If I ever have an HT system, it will be maggie based.  I can't immagine one of their surround packages sounding anything less than completely realistic and holographic just based on what I've heard out of two speakers.  And,their starter surround kit is only $900 new!  daaammmmmnnnnnn!!!

I love my VR4's, they give me everything that the maggies ever did, except a certain "magical somethng" that I got very used to and is now gone.
Maybe it was just a really, really strong first impression that they made on me.  I'm sure that has a lot to do w/it.  One thing I know is that i'll *never* own another pair of Martin Logans any time soon.  Having heard both, i'll go Maggie any day if I go back to flat speakers.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 12:40:01 AM »

exactly

"that's fucking interesting; that's fucking interesting..." - the dude
good, clear, concise info in this thread. +T all
armen

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2004, 03:32:05 AM »

exactly

"that's fucking interesting; that's fucking interesting..." - the dude
good, clear, concise info in this thread. +T all
armen

lol

no really, I am laughing my ass off at that quote

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 06:04:55 PM »
well it depends on what exactly you are going for.  the swans diva 4.1 is right in that price range, especially used.  the b&w 700 series bookshelf speakers are in that range (i believe), there are some paradigms in that range, there is a lot out there. 

Agreed, there are many speakers at that price point using conventional drivers. However Maggies seem like the cheapest way to get the unique sound of planar speakers in your house.

BC

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

jpschust

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »
i agree that for that "planar sound" in the lower end of the price range maggies are the way to go.  btw, im kind of curious about b&w's planar speaker.  ive heard they are a bit boomy.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com