Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New M-Audio Recorder  (Read 64724 times)

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Re: New M-Audio Recorder
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2005, 10:47:45 AM »
Does anyone know what types of CF cards / microdirves will support 24/96? I'm assuming it'll need to be 80X to sustain @ 24/96. Is this accurate?
Maybe a better question: will this box make it worth to record in 24 bits or higher samplerates?
I don't want to cause doubt, there haven't been specs posted yet, but if the SNR is little over 96 dB, or if the pre-amp stage is soso, the quality gained by going at 24 bits and/or higher samplerates is very small.

The big question is: what kind of recording quality (ADC, pre, etc) can M-Audio offer for $400? We know their other products, will this new one be on par?

Who cares, it has a digital input. ;)

Ding ding !

My only real concern at this point is the digi input, hopefully it won't resample like the R-4 reportedly does...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2005, 04:26:03 PM »
I have heard that the M-Audio Transit and their other recent devices (410, I think) do not resample. So I'll take that as a sign that they won't make that mistake.

I havent heard of ANY M-Audio devices resampling

the water's clean and innocent

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2005, 07:23:40 PM »
The only bad thing I've heard about any of their products was about the CO2.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2005, 11:30:13 PM »
Does anyone know what types of CF cards / microdirves will support 24/96? I'm assuming it'll need to be 80X to sustain @ 24/96. Is this accurate?
Maybe a better question: will this box make it worth to record in 24 bits or higher samplerates?
I don't want to cause doubt, there haven't been specs posted yet, but if the SNR is little over 96 dB, or if the pre-amp stage is soso, the quality gained by going at 24 bits and/or higher samplerates is very small.

The big question is: what kind of recording quality (ADC, pre, etc) can M-Audio offer for $400? We know their other products, will this new one be on par?

Who cares, it has a digital input. ;)
That's no solution for me: I don't want to carry another device besides the fact that there's no nice small ADC with Lemo connectors.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2005, 12:49:54 PM »
fwiw...
the OOP issues w/the R4 were with that particular unit, AFAIK.  I spoke w/Edirol yesterday about it.  they said it was probalby just a soldering miss-hap.  it happens...
the R4 resamples on input, thats a fact.

but, who cares?
garrunteed, 99% of us have gear that resamples it on input (like the DAC in your CD player, or your stand alone DAC).  My sony does it.  My Philips deck did it.  Most new CD/DVD players do it.  Its marketed as a "high end" feature on many products.  While its marketed as an "upsample", which it is doing.....it is resamping the original stream none the less.
yet..when your recorder does it..its taboo.
I understand its not desirable, but the reality is...you dont know or cant hear what your may or maynot be missing.

is this saying that resampling on input definately fucks up a nice incoming stable signal?
I dont know for sure.  my guess would be no.

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2005, 01:01:54 PM »

garrunteed, 99% of us have gear that resamples it on input (like the DAC in your CD player, or your stand alone DAC).  My sony does it.  My Philips deck did it.  Most new CD/DVD players do it.  Its marketed as a "high end" feature on many products.  While its marketed as an "upsample", which it is doing.....it is resamping the original stream none the less.
yet..when your recorder does it..its taboo.
I understand its not desirable, but the reality is...you dont know or cant hear what your may or maynot be missing.

This is true if I remember my linear systems class. Although I don't think it's called resampling but oversampling. Digital signals since they're discrete suffer from an aliasing problem. This requires DAC's to include a low pass filter to remove the aliased portion from the analog output. Oversampling moves the aliased single out further into the spectrum and allows the filter designers more room in the spectrum to design this low pass filter.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2005, 06:04:32 PM »
I havent heard of ANY M-Audio devices resampling

Exactly.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline bisonhead

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2005, 07:30:53 PM »
 ???
Does anyone know if this device has hit the market yet, and if so, can anyone share their experiences using it?

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »
???
Does anyone know if this device has hit the market yet, and if so, can anyone share their experiences using it?

starting reading this thread from page 1 and then read this thread next starting from page 1.

that should about catch you up :)

Ray76

« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2005, 07:34:56 PM »
???

the device hasnt hit the market yet bud...didnt you read the thread???
not trying to be a smartass...but thats all theyve talked about is how they cant wait till it gets here....

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2005, 07:57:16 PM »
smart ass!
;-)

Ray76

« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2005, 08:12:08 PM »

smart ass!
;-)
:P

i was trying to be PC ! ;D

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2005, 08:36:08 PM »
???

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/audio-video/Posting.swf
we all live downstream.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Ray76

« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2005, 10:06:24 PM »

smart ass!
;-)
:P

i was trying to be PC ! ;D

smart butt!  ha! :P

Im sorry, I shouldve said, hey fucker. why dont you fuggin read the *(@#(@*# threads before you post your idiotic questions.Lazy Bastard. What are you a *(*@(#* retard???If you dont start reading before you post, I will beat the brakes off your sorry green ass. Now get the hell out of this thread and go fuck yourself. ;D ;D
would that be more appropriate??lmao!!IM just kidding of course..Im a pussycat. :P ;D :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 10:14:52 PM by BigRay »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com