Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Input Regarding Website Style  (Read 7641 times)

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Input Regarding Website Style
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
this is a Wordpress.com website, not Wordpress.org... didn't know the difference until I attempted to add plugins, widgets, etc.  Shouldn't be an issue to move the site to .org should I want to develop the theme more and use more plugins. 

I'm considering Soundcloud unlimited plan... upload is unlimited and playlist embedding is supported in Wordpress.com (and .org).  You can download each track individually in the player.  However, should Soundcloud ever have an issue with terms of service for whatever reasons the account could be disabled.  It's not bad at $135/year for unlimited hosting.  Blue Host is $300/year for VIP plans (larger capacity storage).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:21:47 PM by Chimney Top »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »
I self-host on Servage.net.

WordPress installer in their control panel.

Cheap, my own domain, unlimited bandwidth and storage.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Chimney Top

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
I self-host on Servage.net.

WordPress installer in their control panel.

Cheap, my own domain, unlimited bandwidth and storage.

I'm looking into this...  The site installer is PC only, but the features and price look good.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »
don't worry about pc software.

there is a web installer.
Once you've set up an account, you have a control panel to administer your site.
Installers for Drupal, Wordpress etc are available from the control panel. Any browser will work.

runonce

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »
this is a Wordpress.com website, not Wordpress.org... didn't know the difference until I attempted to add plugins, widgets, etc.  Shouldn't be an issue to move the site to .org should I want to develop the theme more and use more plugins. 

I'm considering Soundcloud unlimited plan... upload is unlimited and playlist embedding is supported in Wordpress.com (and .org).  You can download each track individually in the player.  However, should Soundcloud ever have an issue with terms of service for whatever reasons the account could be disabled.  It's not bad at $135/year for unlimited hosting.  Blue Host is $300/year for VIP plans (larger capacity storage).

Ahh...Didn't know there was a limitation! - I run self-hosted stuff...so didn't know the difference!

I really hate SoundCloud - and once you are paying for some web space/hosting... just use that....and the Google player...or something...

Soundcloud...nice embeds...but otherwise stinky. They've changed their tiers a bit - so I dont really know what I get anymore! I have one of the pay plans...but it's a gyp! IMO

Chimney Top

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
don't worry about pc software.

there is a web installer.
Once you've set up an account, you have a control panel to administer your site.
Installers for Drupal, Wordpress etc are available from the control panel. Any browser will work.

Man, Servage looked good, but then I read the reviews.  WOW.  Numerous posts saying their sites were hacked on multiple occasions.  One person had a complete loss of content due to a corrupt Raid HD.  Nightmare after nightmare reviews.  It's cheap for a reason I guess.

Soundcloud is expensive, but it's simple and it's all I would need... I am concerned however about its growing popularity and potential new stipulations or filters such as youtube that flags content (i.e. WSP covers a Bob Dylan song and it's flagged due to Columbia Records copyright).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:56:08 PM by Chimney Top »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »
I've been with Servage for 10 years, no major issues. Occasional short downtimes have been the worst. But for a site that only gets 200 visitors on a busy day, it's fine.

Multiple hackings? Keep your installation of WordPress up to date, and use strong passwords. Nothing different needed than with other hosts.

HD failure? If you aren't backing up your site, you aren't doing it right.

Also remember that they are a very high volume host. Unhappy customers post reviews more than happy, this gets magnified for a large provider.

Cost vs. risk. Your choice.

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 07:17:27 AM »
Best Wordpress audio player (free) is MP3-jPlayer. Allows you to embed playlists for multi-set shows. Also has a popup player so users can listen while they navigate your site.

See it in action at my blog, http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax

Is there a way to have a drop down box listing the artists as with the wordpress site?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
Best Wordpress audio player (free) is MP3-jPlayer. Allows you to embed playlists for multi-set shows. Also has a popup player so users can listen while they navigate your site.

See it in action at my blog, http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax

Is there a way to have a drop down box listing the artists as with the wordpress site?

My blog is a wordpress site, you could implement it by giving each artist a category, then adding the categories to the menu.

There are also category dropdown plugins you could install.When I want to feature an artist, I usually just search on their name and then send out the URL of the search results.

Chimney Top

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
Well, I've researched some hosting options and it looks like most 'unlimited' plans are not 'unlimited' when it comes to storing media files.  Upgrades/Private Servers are expensive and I'm not going to pay $300/year to host 100-200GB's of mp3's.

runonce

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »
Well, I've researched some hosting options and it looks like most 'unlimited' plans are not 'unlimited' when it comes to storing media files.  Upgrades/Private Servers are expensive and I'm not going to pay $300/year to host 100-200GB's of mp3's.

One approach is to make use of free storage plans (soundcloud, dropbox, drive, etc) - those can add up...

Jolidrive app for Chrome is decent for managing these services from a single interface...

http://www.jolicloud.com/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:12:19 PM by runonce »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com