Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: at 853 question  (Read 4434 times)

Offline vansmack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
at 853 question
« on: April 26, 2004, 04:05:45 PM »
I just bought a pair of at 853 hyper CARDIOIDs.  I currently own a pair od sound professionals cmc-2 cardoid mics.  From what the salesaman told me the 853's are better mics and can record from greater distances .  They have a less wide pick up pattern though.  I plan on using my new mics at the lawn section at a few shows. My question is this....For shows where I'm sitting closer up, would it be wise to record with my new 853's?  Or stick with my standard CARDIOIDS?  Also if I don't have center or near center seats from the sound source, are my regular cardids the way to go?  Thanks

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:at 853 question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 05:12:44 PM »
where did you get the AT853s?  Did you buy the entire set or just the caps?

the hypers are more directional, meaning they will pick up more of what you point at and less of the surroundings.

Hypers would be better for longer distances unless it's windy outside.

Alot of rock shows are mono mixed, except maybe for some drum sound that is stereo.  Best bet if you are off center by a lot is to point the mics at the nearest sound source.

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 05:15:57 PM »
the 853s are a little better mic than the cmc-2 (which is made from 831s, I believe).  The pickup pattern will prove to be the most noticeable difference between your mics.  Closer to the sound source is more ideal for cardioids, but the hyper cards would work up there as well.

Uncentered seats may suggest that you tape a stack, or basically just record the sound from the PA on the side you are sitting.  Cards or Hypers will work fine, which to choose depends on distance to sound source.

If the hyper 853s take phantom power (real AT mics, not SoundPros version) compared to the cmc-2 mics, you will get much better sound.  If they are both SP models, you will notice less difference, other than the pickup pattern.

I know it doesn't address all your questions, but hope that helps a little.  Schwilly on this board has experience with those mics you are asking about and may be able to help more.

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
Just the caps....what about closer recording like 20-40th row?  Thanks as always

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 06:43:31 PM »
My attitude is this: always use hypers, no matter how close you are.  I used the regular card caps with my at853's and thought, hey these sound ok, but with the hypers i was a bit happier.  Are you using any bass rolloff?  Many people here have stated that the hyper's have their own natural bass rolloff.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 06:47:24 PM »
so you have at853 hyper caps an no bodies? How's that gonna work?

I concur, I've been happier with hypers in every situation.  I did a DIRECT comparison where I recorded the same band that did the same set twice, about 12 feet away.  I wouldn't mind trying the subs out in the right situation

Offline naylor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 08:08:39 PM »
Hypers, being more directional, can be more desirable in many situations (not just when your far away).  But you have to remember that the hyper pick-up pattern, while more directional on the sides, has a small rear "lobe" that the card pattern doesn't have.  Essentially, while picking up less side or ambient sound, it will pick up some sound from directly behind the cap that the cards would not pick up nearly as easily.  Because of this, I use my card caps as the default choice unless I'm sure that I won't get any stray noise from directly behind me.  As an example, though the hyper caps can sound great up front, I've found that I sometimes pick up much more crowd chatter (entire conversations even) when taping under certain conditions FOB ... one particular example I can think of was with my mics 15' in the air, FOB in an amphitheater.  It was one of the "chattiest" tapes I made in quite a while, compared to the card tapes I had been making from the same location.  Just some more food for thought.  Peace.

Eric

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 10:24:52 PM »
Actually after talking to sound pro.  they told me the at853's fit there cmc-2 body....he said they found out about this by accident and I'm 1 of only 2 people with this set-up.  He said the other person tested extensively and they work fine.  So instead of paying 239.00 for the sp brand of hyper card., I paid 80.00 for 2 at853's and they stated they would be exactly the same quality.  And yes i'm using a battery box with bass roll off.  Should I not use the bass rolloff?

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 10:32:58 PM »
>>Actually after talking to sound pro.  they told me the at853's fit there cmc-2 body....

absolutely not.  i used to have a pair of AT831b and now run AT853.  trust me... they are totally different in diameters.  an AT853 hyper cap will not fit onto a AT831 body.

>>he said they found out about this by accident and I'm 1 of only 2 people with this set-up.

i'll bet that the guy may have been thinking of some other SP model.

marc

"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 11:38:57 PM »
I guess well see once They arrive....he said for certainity the at853 will fit the cmc-2 body.  I'll post te answers when they arrive this week.  Anyone have an answer regarding the bass rolloff  Thanks

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 01:06:09 AM »
I'll have Sparge test it now.  Have you even tried removing the CMC-2 cap?

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 01:21:49 AM »
Sparge just did it with his AT831 bodies and 853 caps.  Even though the cap is wider, the threads still fit.

He didn't have the balls to plug it in though :-D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 01:46:33 AM »
$120 for SP-CMC-2s
$70 for samson modules and connectors

= $190 for a 48V pair of AT831s

add $80 for hyper caps and yer still under the cost of stock At853s.  Damn this is nifty

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 05:43:55 AM »
yeah he did say the caps were 1/64 inch wider but performed fine

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 05:48:00 AM »
schwill, know anything about using the bass roloff with the hypers?

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2004, 10:43:25 AM »
nope, I only used them with phantom powered AT853, hyper and card caps, and never needed roll-off for either one.  You might need it for the 831 but keep it low, like 69 htz

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2004, 02:56:57 PM »
Thanks

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 09:59:01 PM »
Just received the mics today and they seem to work perfectly, I'll need tot est in the field to make sure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com