Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is a good mic stand for DPA 4060s?  (Read 8919 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is a good mic stand for DPA 4060s?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 10:19:16 PM »
The Russett Mr. Potato Head can't hold a candle to the Red Nordland boiling Potato Head for sonic flavor, but I prefer the Peruvian Blue Head for its airy transparency. The regular plastic head just sounds mashed.

???

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
The Russett Mr. Potato Head can't hold a candle to the Red Nordland boiling Potato Head for sonic flavor, but I prefer the Peruvian Blue Head for its airy transparency. The regular plastic head just sounds mashed.

You're cracking my head off here!

RyanJ, as for the mount, I'll try to dig the little guy out, take some pics and show you what I did.  As I recall, I had some sort of cap that screwed down onto my mic stand threads and I drilled a hole in the center of the cap and stuck a small bolt up through the middle.  Then I used a washer and wing-nut inside Mr. P to secure him to the screw which I ran through the foot hole.  Worked well, even in the wind. 
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline beeco

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »
I really didn't mean to hijack this thread with a discussion about Mr. Potato Head, but he really does make a fun mount for your DPA 406x or other small mics. 

Here he is at a Phish show at Red Rocks in '95, wearing my Sonic Studios DSM-6p's (w/extra windscreens).  We were mixing the Sonics with the Nak guns through a Radio Shack 4-channel mixer (ah, the old days).  Those tapes actually turned out OK.  The Sonics were made to wear on eyeglasses, so it was a good thing Mr. P doesn't have 20/20 vision. 

And in action again at the String Cheese show at the Rio Hotel in Vegas, Halloween 2002.  He's not wearing any mics this time - just representing for my friend's Schoeps..
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR

Depechemode1993

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »
omg! thats awesome!

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »
I love that top picture, even better with the old film coloration and the sunglassed dude.

But I had no idea Mr.P could ski-

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline beeco

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »
Correction - the Red Rox pic is from Phish's 4-day run in '96.  That sunglassed dude is Brett R. from Albuquerque, who isn't on this board but probably has some friends around here.  We just call him "Taper Brett" down here in New Mexico.  He's a primary contributor to our local gear-loaner program in Albuquerque.  Great guy for sure - let's me use his fancy gear from time to time.  Those sunglasses are classic - I should ask to borrow those some time, too.

The ski shots are awesome!  I was gonna dig Mr. P out for a show tonight in Santa Fe, but I might just wait until Sunday and take him skiing instead. 

Depechemode1993

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
OK HERE IS THE ONE AND ONLY MR. P HEAD FLYIN' HIGH AT BONNAROO!!!!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 04:54:41 PM »
I used to run my Sonic Studios DSM-6p's on the eyeglass legs of a Mr. Potato Head mounted on a stand.  He looked fantastic flying with all those killer rigs at Red Rocks.  But if you do that at Rothbury, I want credit for the idea  ;)

Its already done. I just went out and bought a Mr. Potato Head from Target.  ;D Nice idea and I cannot wait to run this later this month!

But I still don't know what stand to get for this and what accessories I need to finish off the project? I am just lost when I look at B&H photo...  ???

Probably more than you need, but if you want a traditional style "mic stand" as opposed to the excellent TV antenna idea, there are options like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AlienBees-13-foot-Heavy-Duty-Light-Stand-LS3900_W0QQitemZ200356828122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea63293da&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1234%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I bought one similar and have no complaints. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
Gaff tape. ;D

The back wall-
Space them and tape them to the back wall to boundary mount them and significantly cut down on the reverberation pickup at that distance.  This can work really well for 'back of hall' locations and can often sound better than a stand in the center or back half of the room.  Likewise you can sometimes tape the mics to the little wall in the front of a raised soundboard location.  I did this outdoors on a wall once to good effect.

[edited for spelling and verbosity, and it's still wordy. Geesh!]

Those are great ideas!  Question about the "back wall" method - does it matter how the mics are facing on the wall?  I.E., does it make any diff if they are aimed up, down, or sideways? I realize that they are omnidirectional mics, so the answer should be no, but I'm considering trying this so thought I'd ask....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
For quick and dirty boundary layer work a sticky putty like the Brit Blu-Tack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Tack) is very good.  I am going to find the US equivalent of it.  It can also be used to stick the mics to an instrument, or anything, even a potato, I suppose.   ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
Question about the "back wall" method - does it matter how the mics are facing on the wall?  I.E., does it make any diff if they are aimed up, down, or sideways? I realize that they are omnidirectional mics, so the answer should be no, but I'm considering trying this so thought I'd ask....

Technically, they should be mounted flush in the wall facing out.  The rubber DPA boundary mounts place the mics behind a small opening flush in the face of the mount, which then smoothly blends into the wall surface at the edges - effectively forming a shallow mound on the wall with a hole in it.  But these mics are so small that just taping them to the wall is 'close enough' to flush and their orientation doesn't really matter.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com