Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help a newbie out?  (Read 9437 times)

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Help a newbie out?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 03:19:35 PM »
I'm kind of confused with the abbreviations.. CSC are stealthy cardioids and CSB are binaurals? I assume we are talking low cost ones, right?

I sure don't want to spenfd muhc time post-processing.. so do you think Sonys? It's all the same price range, but I don't want to get the wrong one.. :) Would the Sony need Batt box too?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »
It you are spending $100 I would go $50 more and get the deal on the MTII in the retail section if it is still available!  Then you can have 24bit.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
It you are spending $100 I would go $50 more and get the deal on the MTII in the retail section if it is still available!  Then you can have 24bit.

Nah, that's too much.. I will get MTII when I upgrade, but I want this one for the starting rig - because, if anything happens and I won't tape, I will be left with good 20GB MP3 player..

(I think I will get stoned to death here now, but I can't tell the difference between 16bit and 24bit anyway.. so no use in that..)

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »
I use a Sony ECM-719 sometimes. Honestly, I've gotten some decent tapes with it, and would recommend it as a starter mic in your budget.

Advantages:
Does not require a battery box, you insert a small watch battery in the mic itself to power it.
Simple, single point stereo... it's basically point and shoot... no need to think about mic patterns.
Cardiod pattern should limit some crowd noise, boominess.

Disadvantages:
Frequency range is sub-optimal... 100Hz to 15kHz (human hearing is optimally 20hHz to 20kHz)
No way to change mic patterns
Not as small/easy to conceal as the other mics you are looking at.

Listen here for an example recorded with the ECM-719. Small club, about 10 feet from the stage:
http://www.archive.org/details/raq2007-09-14.ats.flac16

If you wanted to spend thousands of $$$ on equipment you could get sound like this: (same show, same taping location)
http://www.archive.org/details/raq2007-09-14

For me, the ecm-719 was a good starting point.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
Seems I will go with it, then - I don't really want to worry about mic patterns right now, because I know basically nothing, and I'd rather point and tape then having to experiment ending with useless tapes.. No battery box is a huge advantage, because I'm looking to spare any buck I can.. And honestly, I don't know if it's just me, but I liked tapes made with the Sony the best out of those three.. Thanks for advice. :)

EDIT:
So I looked around here for the sales and dropped a few mails, and so far it seems I will be gettting iRiver H120 ($100) with Sony ECM-719 (40€) - I think it's great price and will get me some listenable tapes, what do you think?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:38:43 PM by Aladar »

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 03:11:00 AM »
So I looked around here for the sales and dropped a few mails, and so far it seems I will be getting iRiver H120 ($100) with Sony ECM-719 (40€) - I think it's great price and will get me some listenable tapes, what do you think?

iRiver H120 is a very good option. Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals might give you better results than Sony's ECM-719 which has very poor high frequencies response.

Saying that, I started with a Sony ECM-717 (older brother of the 719) myself. When it's about recording an intimate acoustic showcase given in front of 100 people by a band that allow taping and that you sit front row, you're gonna be very satisfied. But not for more (loud hard rock or metal shows, and so on...).

Low cost binaurals are a better option for a newbie that is looking for versatile mics that will give you honorable results (+ they are highly conceable).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:29:10 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 03:18:01 AM »
I've gotta recommend these: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-BMC-2

I've pulled some absolutely great recordings with them, and only run about $50 bucks
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 03:45:08 AM »
There you go : http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,26377.0.html.
Dynamic Audio omnis + battery box with bass roll-off option.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) those are the same panasonic omnidirectional caps than SP-BMC-2, Giant Squid Omnis...
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 04:25:53 AM »
I always thought the sp-bmc-2 was a wm-61a cap?
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 08:16:28 AM »
iRiver H120 is a very good option. Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals might give you better results than Sony's ECM-719 which has very poor high frequencies response.

Saying that, I started with a Sony ECM-717 (older brother of the 719) myself. When it's about recording an intimate acoustic showcase given in front of 100 people by a band that allow taping and that you sit front row, you're gonna be very satisfied. But not for more (loud hard rock or metal shows, and so on...).

Low cost binaurals are a better option for a newbie that is looking for versatile mics that will give you honorable results (+ they are highly conceable).

Well, I actually listened to some tapes made with ECM-719, and they sounded mighty fine to me.. Most of them were metal/industrial/punk..
The big advantage is that I won't need a battery box - I'm on HUGE budget, so even the extra 30 will do a lot to me.. Maybe it's just that I have bad repros so I don't hear the frequency difference?

On the other hand, the LCBs sounded horribly dull to me on most tapes I downloaded.. the sound was horribly "distant" and lacked any depth, and it was taped with preamp as well I think..

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks, I'll look into it - Though, the thing is I would take this as a last resort, because anthing can happen at the gigs and the last thing I would want is having to pay broken Edirol R-9 (those things are ridiculously expensive here) and mics to someone..
[/quote]

The R-09HR is pretty tough to break - I had a cop throw mine on the ground once (long story, but they mistook the R-09HR for a package of dope and tried to arrest me until they figured out what it was) and it was fine.  Unless you are in the middle of mosh pits all the time, you should be fine. Even in a moshpit, just protect the gear a little. But if you are taping, you shouldn't be in a mosh pit anyway.  I think most of the other recorders are pretty sturdy also.  The JB3 maybe a touch less so because it has that plastic clamshell design and a hard drive in it, and a hard drive is more susceptible to being damaged than something that is fully solid state.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 10:48:55 AM »
Well, I actually listened to some tapes made with ECM-719, and they sounded mighty fine to me.. Most of them were metal/industrial/punk..
On the other hand, the LCBs sounded horribly dull to me on most tapes I downloaded..

Well,
as long as you are pleased with the results, you've made the right choice :)

Getting good results while taping a live show also has a lot to do with the sound and crowd at venues and you standing at the best spot.

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »
Well, guess it's decided, the iRiver was sold, so I'm without a recorder..

thanks for help anyway.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 05:10:36 AM »

OK, here's my take on a ultra-low budget rig:
$23 + s/h: Panasonic omnis (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110436418804, ebay seller micro_sound, doesn't list Europe as shipping destination but maybe you can haggle)

$70 + s/h: going rate for H320 on ebay (with a bit of patience).
or
$75 + s/h: going rate for Sony MZ-NH700 on ebay (with a bit of patience). Built in mic preamp and 16/44.

Recommended additions:
add a Church bbox ($30 + s/h) or a Church pre ($100 and upwards) to this for better powering and gain.

For analog taping, it makes no sense to go for a JB3. Compared with a H320, they cost the same but the H320 has better ADC and 24dB of analog gain.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »

OK, here's my take on a ultra-low budget rig:
$23 + s/h: Panasonic omnis (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110436418804, ebay seller micro_sound, doesn't list Europe as shipping destination but maybe you can haggle)

$70 + s/h: going rate for H320 on ebay (with a bit of patience).
or
$75 + s/h: going rate for Sony MZ-NH700 on ebay (with a bit of patience). Built in mic preamp and 16/44.

Recommended additions:
add a Church bbox ($30 + s/h) or a Church pre ($100 and upwards) to this for better powering and gain.

For analog taping, it makes no sense to go for a JB3. Compared with a H320, they cost the same but the H320 has better ADC and 24dB of analog gain.

I can't find any H320 on ebay, except one.. I think it will be pretty hard to get..
Also, I decided I don't want just a recorder for my frist rig, I want an MP3 player that can record PCM recordings.. thasts why the iRivers would be ideal for me.. are there any other alternatives to it? It seems pretty hard to get sofar..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com