Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Specific mic and setup advice requested for SD 788 non-stealth--new taper  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Hi guys,

First, apologies if this is the wrong area. If so, I trust the mods will put it where it belongs.

Basically I'm asking for various opinions on what I should buy and do for my very specific needs.

I have a Sound Devices 788t. A pair of Little Blondies omni mics is on the way.

I will be recording in two main situations:

1) At home studio.
Improvised music performed by 1-4 people sending stereo signals direct to the recorder and augmented by room mics for ambience and sometimes acoustic instruments (much of the music is electronic). Wide dynamics, from very quiet to medium volume. Very diverse timbres, from rough machine-like sounds and scraping to rich harmonic content and even pure sinetones.

2) At shows.
Improvised music performed by 1-6 people sending stereo signals direct to the PA (and possibly to the recorder when 8 channels will suffice) augmented by room mics for ambience and sometimes acoustic instruments. The music is the same, but the volume is higher. Rooms are typically "concrete box" style music venues and bars, quite small. Small, quiet/attentive audiences shouldn't pose a big problem, but I'd rather avoid chair squeaks and feet shuffling, etc.

I think my recorder is great & I'm more than pleased with the pre's (I record at 24/48, btw). I don't know how I feel about the Little Blondies mics yet, of course, but I'm pretty sure I'll want to either upgrade or add more mics at some point this year.

I'd rather not have a lot of different gear for different situations, but if it would be a significant benefit to the sound for me to use different mics at home and at shows, I can do so. I'm also of course very interested in your recommendations for mics or arrangements that will be flexible enough to help me get the best fidelity in both situations. Recordings from the home studio will need to be suitable for release, and it's quite likely some gig recordings will see release as well (assuming, of course, I can get the sound quality I expect).

Thanks for your help here and all the other stuff I've learned on this board!

Yep, clear as mud.  1-6 players sending stereo signals to a PA.   To be recorded in stereo with an 8 channel recorder?  Are they looking for 6 more mics?  What budget?  What source?  SM58 for the singer --- It's not a singer, it's a drumset --- Then say that in the original question.

Title: Specific mic and setup advice requested for SD 788 non-stealth--new taper.

That's about the only clear part.  The title and that's it.

Meanwhile: I'm asking for various opinions.

But: when given...  (thank you, but ... or ... bad attitude (trying to keep it clean))

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
Singer? Drumset?

They're sending signals DIRECT--no mics, DIRECT. I said this.

Quote from: Marvin100
sending stereo signals direct

I also said I wanted mics for one of two reasons: a room stereo pair, OR occasionally spot-micing one acoustic performer. This mud is beginning to exhibit strange transparent qualities...

The music is improvised electroacoustic music--no vocals, pretty much never drums (and certainly not a trapkit, maybe a single snare or floor tom used in a very unconventional--not percussive--way).

I asked for opinions. I got some. I used one. I wrote that I had solved my problem and made up my mind.

That was a clear signal that I didn't need more advice. Perhaps, though my keyboard said "no," you registered the exasperated look in my eyes as a "yes," but that's on you, not me.

Ugh.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
direct to the PA.  At what point is the field recorder?  AFTER PA, BEFORE?  Split, or bridging?

So you're not looking for setup opinions?  Not looking for mics?  Were you wanting cable suggestions?

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
I was looking for advice on a few things, but I got good advice on mics and took some of it. Since then I've been looking for nothing, and to your credit you've been very forthcoming in providing it.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
AS have you.

So this thread was more about I have a 788T, therefor I rock?

Or are you using strange terminology?

PA?  Means public announce/address to me.  As in speakers, and in stacks.  Which for an intents has NOTHING TO DO WITH A FIELD RECORDER.  Are you using PA to mean preamp or something.  Psychic anomoly?   Psuedo Acoustic?  Direct to nothingness???  If you can't explain, how are we supposed to suggest anything?  Perhaps selling it and maintaining your psychic friends network subscription is the better option.

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
PA, as usual, means public address system. In this case, a mixer to a pair of powered JBL PA speakers, in most cases. When, as I noted is a possibility, eight channels isn't enough, I'll figure out the best option depending on the musicians and my needs.

Quote from: Marvin100
Improvised music performed by 1-6 people sending stereo signals direct to the PA (and possibly to the recorder when 8 channels will suffice

So this thread was more about I have a 788T, therefor [sic] I rock?

I don't rock at all. Wouldn't dream of it. Is there something about the device itself that gets you so wound up? It's just a tool, man.

Once more, from the top:

I had a genuine question. Some people pointed me in useful directions. With their advice, I did research. I then got mics and made a plan to get more in the future. This all happened nicely and efficiently, and then I posted about it. For some reason, after that, you decided my question or the thread wasn't satisfactory to you for some reason. Since then, you've been gnawing on it like a chew-toy, for no apparent reason. Why can't you let this go? Your fixation on me and my recording setup is beginning to worry me.

What exactly do you hope to get from this interminable exchange? Whatever it is, I assure you you'll depart as empty-handed as you arrived.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Marvin, if you want serious, mature responses you are better off over at GearSlutz.   This kind of shit happens too often and I think it is just plain, petty jealousy.  Or simple stupidity.  It cetrtainly is not graciousness or a desire to help a fellow taper but only to criticize what he is doing. 

Try www.gearslutz.com
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
I'm just trying to figure out your question.  You're obviously unwilling the explain it.  How could anyone help?  even at another site.

By all means pipe a 1000W PA feed into your line level inputs.  Enjoy the blue smoke, it's direct.

Or did you mean direct like this?

Or just keep calling people names and failing to explain your need.  Meanwhile I'm out...  Enjoy the silence.

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
I'm just trying to figure out your question.

You're very late on that.

By all means pipe a 1000W PA feed into your line level inputs.  Enjoy the blue smoke, it's direct.

You seem to be coming unhinged.

Enjoy the silence.

There's no such thing...
 ;)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
First of all i completely agree with going the schoeps route. However it appears to be out of your budget. There is a pair of Rode NT2000 is the ys (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132579.0) For $1000.  They are not compact, but they give you a lot of options and I had a pair of Rode NT 2's about 10 years ago and they were great until I was able to upgrade later.
good luck

These would be mine. The pattern selection is unsurpassed... it is completely variable from omni to fig 8...  You are absolutely set for any situation you walk into, A/B, X/Y, split omni, Blumlein, DIN, DINA, NOS, M/S............ect.....  There aren't exactly compact, but that depends on how you run them and space them .....  The mics are extremely quite....they have a self noise of only 7db.....thats perfect for studio mics.....and the field...They are great room ambient mics.... The freq response is amazing, the clarity is amazing.......  If I didn't need the money so bad I would keep them....  If they don't sell I won't be disappointed...  I just need the money right now, bad...

Also I had these special ordered to be consecutive serial numbered...and they have all the extra's.....hard mount, wind screen, pelican case, shock mounts...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:44:46 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
Yes, the 414's are very nice. You may not need another pair.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com