Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Moving overseas, what to do w/ my taping stuff?  (Read 9462 times)

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
Moving overseas, what to do w/ my taping stuff?
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:03:23 AM »
I found out recently that I'll be moving to France for about 8 months for work.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to take all of my gear (km184s > ua5 > jb3 or MT, plus shocks, cables etc) w/ me, especially since who knows if I'll even be able to get to a tape-able show while I'm over there.  There's a good possibility I'll be working in the boonies w/ no public transit but I won't know that for a while.  I'd hate to have an awesome show come through and not have my gear to tape.  Last time I was out of the country for an extended period of time (2 months) I just loaned my entire rig to a friend and figured I wouldn't be seeing any shows (which I didn't). 

Assuming I know at least a few weeks in advance if there's a show, is it at all safe and reliable to ship this kind of stuff in the mail? I wouldn't want it held up on customs or have to pay an import fee, or have it get lost along the way.  Has anybody done this before?

I also have the Sound Professionals AT853's and a battery box that I haven't used in forever, and keep thinking of selling.  I could possibly take those w/ the Microtrack.  Though it wouldn't be ideal it would be better than nothing.

I'm open to other suggestions of compact recording gear too.  There seem to be a few recorders w/ mics attached nowadays like the R-09, but I don't know if the attached mics are even any good or if they're just a gimmick.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Moving overseas, what to do w/ my taping stuff?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:35 AM »
If you care enough about your tapes to buy Neumanns, internal mics on an R-09HR or any other portable deck won't do it for you. And they don't have to - you already have the AT 853 rig. That 853s rig would probably be sufficient, especially if European shows are never open-taping (I'll let the Europeans chime in on this, but as I understand it, mic stands are almost *always* prohibited over there).

A middle ground would be to sell/change the current rig to a high-end rig that has an "active" solution... In the price range of the 184s there are the MBHO mics, for example, or the Beyerdynamic CK930 (I think both of these are a bit cheaper than Neumanns).  I don't know what the Milab VM-44 cost, but they are also somewhere in that neighborhood, I think.

As to your transportation concerns, why not just put the 184s (far and away the most valuable component of your rig) in your luggage and mail the rest?  If the UA5 and deck and whatever stands and mounts you're using get stuck, it's not that much of a loss since they can be replaced much more cheaply and readily than Neumann microphones. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:45:09 AM »
Yes, I care enough about my tapes that I don't really want to use the AT's any more either.  I didn't think the included mics on the R-09 were that great but I figured I'd check.  If the shows over there are never open taping, that's my best bet is probably the AT's unless I want to get something like the Audix M1250's but then I've still gotta power them somehow.

I don't think going active is gonna solve my problem, I'd still have just as big a rig and the idea is to take less stuff with me.  If there is no open taping, those would obviously be easier to conceal.

Taking the neumanns and possibly mailing the rest if necessary isn't a bad idea.  If I get a small pelican box for them they won't take up much space.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »
a) NEVER put valuable gear in your luggage.  It will get stolen while it's out of your control...guaranteed.  Keep it in carry on or leave it at home.  BTW, airlines don't give a shit about stolen property either...they'll figure out any way possible not to pay you back.

b) Don't ship it, they'll charge duty for your gear because you'll have it insured, right?  So the amount of insurance will provide value and they'll calculate duty off that value and it will be held at customs until you pay the duty fee (or until you reject it and tell them to send it back home). 

c) Having said that, being in the boonies is perhaps the BEST opportunity to record local music that you'd never have an opportunity to record anywhere else...and to retain memories that you'd never be able to retain otherwise.  Since you'll be there for 8 months, you'll get to know some of the locals and they will welcome you into their fold if you choose to embrace and integrate yourself into their culture as much as you can.

Similar to you, I was situated in the boondocks for 2 1/2 years in Slovenia (I lived in an apartment in a small village of about 100 people...two pubs and one post office) and I cannot replace some of the recordings I made during my journey.  My recordings are every bit as valuable to me as my pictures.  Music is part of the Europeans culture and many, if not most, Europeans know how to play an instrument.  Being isolated in a small village or out in the boondocks, many times there is less entertainment that Americans are used to (going out to the movies, etc.) so people spend more time in social settings at the pubs...there are oftentimes opportunities for people to play and sing, or perhaps the local pub will host a local polka or gypsy band.  Believe me, it's music you'll learn to enjoy in the short time you'll be there, if only because of the memory of your experiences, but you'll never be able to recreate if you don't record it. 

On top of that, after you record and master, if you share what you record, you'll become a minor folk legend with the locals who, I guarantee, would never have been able to get a high quality live recording of their pub band and sharing it with each other.

I'll tell you the truth...IF you integrate yourself and get to know the locals, getting these recordings will be more important to you than getting a recording of...say...Pearl Jam if they come around to the bigger cities during your stay.  Recordings of big bands are great, but they can be replaced.  Getting the more intimate memories of life experiences can be priceless.

TAKE YOUR GEAR!!!!  You won't regret it.  I promise.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:47:14 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
a) NEVER put valuable gear in your luggage.  It will get stolen while it's out of your control...guaranteed.  Keep it in carry on or leave it at home.  BTW, airlines don't give a shit about stolen property either...they'll figure out any way possible not to pay you back.

b) Don't ship it, they'll charge duty for your gear because you'll have it insured, right?  So the amount of insurance will provide value and they'll calculate duty off that value and it will be held at customs until you pay the duty fee (or until you reject it and tell them to send it back home). 

c) Having said that, being in the boonies is perhaps the BEST opportunity to record local music that you'd never have an opportunity to record anywhere else...and to retain memories that you'd never be able to retain otherwise.  Since you'll be there for 8 months, you'll get to know some of the locals and they will welcome you into their fold if you choose to embrace and integrate yourself into their culture as much as you can.

Similar to you, I was situated in the boondocks for 2 1/2 years in Slovenia (I lived in an apartment in a small village of about 100 people...two pubs and one post office) and I cannot replace some of the recordings I made during my journey.  My recordings are every bit as valuable to me as my pictures.  Music is part of the Europeans culture and many, if not most, Europeans know how to play an instrument.  Being isolated in a small village or out in the boondocks, many times there is less entertainment that Americans are used to (going out to the movies, etc.) so people spend more time in social settings at the pubs...there are oftentimes opportunities for people to play and sing, or perhaps the local pub will host a local polka or gypsy band.  Believe me, it's music you'll learn to enjoy in the short time you'll be there, if only because of the memory of your experiences, but you'll never be able to recreate if you don't record it. 

On top of that, after you record and master, if you share what you record, you'll become a minor folk legend with the locals who, I guarantee, would never have been able to get a high quality live recording of their pub band and sharing it with each other.

I'll tell you the truth...IF you integrate yourself and get to know the locals, getting these recordings will be more important to you than getting a recording of...say...Pearl Jam if they come around to the bigger cities during your stay.  Recordings of big bands are great, but they can be replaced.  Getting the more intimate memories of life experiences can be priceless.

A) Completely agree. I won't even put booze in my checked bag anymore.
B) Also agree, they will charge you duty or delay/lose it.
C) 3X, the twillies have some great stuff if you are going to be there that long and can integrate yourself into the culture and area.

If space is the issue, take the smaller rig, if quality is the prevailing issue (you could always record soundscapes of cows as memories**** of your trip for later, I've done it), then pack the neumanns and maybe slim down to a P48 battery box (like a denneke or littlebox) and the iriver if you are concerned about carry on space.

So I'm 3/4ths in the "take it with you" camp.

**** see http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=135965.0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:32:16 AM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
Also, with respect to your reply re: Audix 1280, you can now get those mics with "Active" cables from Chris Church that will work with just the capsules and a battery box (like what you already have for the AT's).   You will want to be sure, if you go that route, that Chris is pretty solid about the delivery time he can offer you at this time (mine took a little over 3mo IIRC).  On the plus side, the Audix caps are pretty cheap ($240/pr shipped from Full Compass (item is Audix CPS-MICRO-C) and the Church cables are $65, so that gives you a reasonably cheap and versatile rig with switchable caps.  I use the Audix now as my main "stealth" rig, though I think between them and the AT's it is to some degree a matter of preference.  The Audix have a more "colored" sound to me, at least with the active cables - it's a very... specific... sound, with more emphasis on the midrange and highs than the ATs and noticeably rolled off bass - but if you like it, I think they're a great choice.   Also you'd have the option in the future of buying the bodies and having a nice backup open rig.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Frequincy

• Taperssection Regular
  • I Am The Last Dinosaur
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
I agree with tonedef 100%.
Take lots of batteries, no charging over there.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 11:42:04 AM »

Thanks for the advice.

A) Yes I never put anything of value in my luggage.  Which is another issue - I've got my camera, a regular sized laptop, potentially my netbook too and various other electronics, so my carry on will be stuffed.
B) Yes, that is exactly what I'm worried about.  I'm sure they'd charge me an import tax.  I've heard of this been done before when people shipped computers, or when someone I know shipped mics to Canada.
C) Thank you, you raise a very good point.  Hopefully wherever I am going, there will be some local bars w/ live music.

I looked at the littlebox briefly a while ago.  I'm guessing it only does analog out?  If I can get something smaller than the UA-5+DVD battery combo that, might be a good option. If I can send a digital signal into the microtrack or an analog signal to whatever has a good analog input (iriver like you suggested?), that might not be too much to carry.  I'd have to leave the 8410's and get some smaller and lighter shocks and I'd have to just buy another stand over there.

Also, with respect to your reply re: Audix 1280, you can now get those mics with "Active" cables from Chris Church that will work with just the capsules and a battery box (like what you already have for the AT's).   You will want to be sure, if you go that route, that Chris is pretty solid about the delivery time he can offer you at this time (mine took a little over 3mo IIRC).  On the plus side, the Audix caps are pretty cheap ($240/pr shipped from Full Compass (item is Audix CPS-MICRO-C) and the Church cables are $65, so that gives you a reasonably cheap and versatile rig with switchable caps.

I did not know that.  I might look into it.  I am leaving some time in mid to late September, I don't know exactly when yet so that might not be an option if he's backed up.  I actually don't like how boomy the AT's can be, so if the Audix are rolled off more they might sound a little better to my ears.  Maybe I'll try to dig up some tapes w/ them.

I agree with tonedef 100%.
Take lots of batteries, no charging over there.

What do you mean "no charging"?  I know the voltage is different but usually the a/c adapters will handle 240v.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:44:18 AM by Elana »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
^^ If you have until Sept I bet Church can get you the Audix cables before you leave.

2 other quick points:

If you wanted to switch up the form factor of your deck, you can pick up a used "all-in-one" deck that provides phantom like a PMD-660 or -661, or something similar, in the Yard Sale.  I think one just went for $330.  The 660 does have a larger form factor and is only 16bit, but it's still smaller than a UA5+MT.  There are smaller "all-in-one" options like the Tascam DR-100 (though I think it may require external powering  due to short battery life when providing phantom) or Zoom H4 (but that is probably not advisable for a number of reasons).  The littlebox is great, but since your decks both need digital in, it isn't really an option for you right now.

If space in your carryon is tight (and I should have suggested "carryon" originally myself - I don't even love how my shoes/suits are in checked luggage...), you could always use one of those "cigar cases" for the Neumanns.  Those are pretty small and protect the mics well.  Not sure if you're doing that already, but it's a lot better than using the Neumann wooden box, space-wise.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
^^ If you have until Sept I bet Church can get you the Audix cables before you leave.

2 other quick points:

If you wanted to switch up the form factor of your deck, you can pick up a used "all-in-one" deck that provides phantom like a PMD-660 or -661, or something similar, in the Yard Sale.  I think one just went for $330.  The 660 does have a larger form factor and is only 16bit, but it's still smaller than a UA5+MT.  There are smaller "all-in-one" options like the Tascam DR-100 (though I think it may require external powering  due to short battery life when providing phantom) or Zoom H4 (but that is probably not advisable for a number of reasons).  The littlebox is great, but since your decks both need digital in, it isn't really an option for you right now.

If space in your carryon is tight (and I should have suggested "carryon" originally myself - I don't even love how my shoes/suits are in checked luggage...), you could always use one of those "cigar cases" for the Neumanns.  Those are pretty small and protect the mics well.  Not sure if you're doing that already, but it's a lot better than using the Neumann wooden box, space-wise.

I'm using the wooden box right now :-)  And I have a pelican 1060 that came w/ it (bought the mics off of someone on here) but it's almost the same size.  Not familiar w/ the "cigar cases".  You know... I looked at the PMD-661 a while ago when I was thinking of going to an all in one, but then I decided I should probably go R-44 eventually.  However, those units are much smaller and more compact.  I can take a look at those again.  If the battery life is decent, that may be a good solution, because they all I need is mics and that.

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
As far as charging, I'm pretty sure you already know that AC is 220V supply over there.  You'll need a converter to switch to the round prongs used in Europe, but most (not all, but most) wall warts will work fine.  I did have a couple of electronics components fry on me while over there because they only worked from 120V (of course, I only discovered that after smelling the infamous fried electronics smell), but 95% or more of the wall warts have a rating from 100V to 240V, which means that you'll have no problem re-charging your batteries over there. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
As far as charging, I'm pretty sure you already know that AC is 220V supply over there.  You'll need a converter to switch to the round prongs used in Europe, but most (not all, but most) wall warts will work fine.  I did have a couple of electronics components fry on me while over there because they only worked from 120V (of course, I only discovered that after smelling the infamous fried electronics smell), but 95% or more of the wall warts have a rating from 100V to 240V, which means that you'll have no problem re-charging your batteries over there. 

Bingo, for 80+% of what you're messing with, you just need a pin adaptor. It's the other random stuff you'll need a voltage/cycle transformer (don't take that stuff if you can help it, or take a DC battery that you can use in leau of AC if it's possible). I did fine in Italy once I figured that out.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
Yep I'm well aware of all of that.  Almost everything I have that needs to be plugged in has a transformer that's 100v-240v 50-60hz, so I should be good.  Though I'm gonna double check before I leave in case any of them are weird.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
I have an otterbox cigar caddy for my CK1's and it is AWESOME.  Small foot print and bullet proof, I would grab one if you are trying to reduce your mic box.

2 other quick points:

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »
I have an otterbox cigar caddy for my CK1's and it is AWESOME.  Small foot print and bullet proof, I would grab one if you are trying to reduce your mic box.

2 other quick points:

Cool.  They look nice.  Which size do you have?  The two-stick one looks like might be a squeeze, the 5-stick one looks a little large.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »
Cigar Caddy 3140!  It will fit 2 SD mics no problem and it is reasonably priced.

2 other quick points:

Cool.  They look nice.  Which size do you have?  The two-stick one looks like might be a squeeze, the 5-stick one looks a little large.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:19:26 PM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
If you care enough about your tapes to buy Neumanns, internal mics on an R-09HR or any other portable deck won't do it for you. And they don't have to - you already have the AT 853 rig. That 853s rig would probably be sufficient, especially if European shows are never open-taping (I'll let the Europeans chime in on this, but as I understand it, mic stands are almost *always* prohibited over there).

I open tape all over London, you just have to ask nicely at most small-medium sized clubs. But yes, I use AT853s, but three wire ones, 'cos the sound levels are quite high at most of the venues, for the stuff I tape. AT853s also work for when there's nowhere to put the mic stand.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline krsb

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 03:10:22 AM »
Hi there,

I agree with the others - bring your gear!

I'm in France and have been here for about 5 years. Drop me PM if you need any specific advice. There are some taping opportunities here and the boonies are closer to big cities that you think!
Have also gear I can loan you if you are in the neighborhood.
Yours,
cb
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:27:37 AM by krsb »
Busman BCS1, Busman BSCS-L, DPA 4023, Neumann KM 184, KM 183
Lunatec V3, Naiant Midbox
Oade ACM Marantz PMD 661, Sony D50, Tascam DR680
+ lotsa darktrain cables :-)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »
Having lived overseas for quite a while (including in Paris for eight months) and not having my gear with me, it is most definitely in your interest to have something that you can take with you.  I finally got my rig to the point where everything runs on AA batteries so I am fine anywhere in the world that I go.  There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but I can add the following:

1.) Go stealth.  Most venues do not have experience with open taping rigs and may not be able to accommodate you, especially if you don't speak French already.  Something like dpa 4061 > battery box > R-09HR or PMD661 (or something like that).  would be perfect and seems to be in the price range that you are considering.  If you can afford it, you can do something like dpa 4023 or Schoeps > pre > recorder.  Those setups are small enough where you can take them with you and good enough that you can use them with a stand if you desire in an open taping situation.

2.) Take your mics, pre, and recorder with you in your carry-on luggage.  You can ship the cables, stand, and other accessories or put it in your checked luggage.  If any of the accessories get stolen or if something happens to them, you can always buy new ones over there.  In fact, you may be better just buying cheap accessories in France than shipping bulky cables, stands, etc.  You may want to investigate this, but the shipping + insurance + customs charges of your accessories may actually be more expensive than just buying some cheap cables and a stand over there to tide you over for a few months.

Have fun over there!  France is a great place and contrary to popular opinion in the U.S., the people are really nice.  Learn some French and you will do fine.

EDIT: If you don't know any French and want to pick up a little bit, Tex's French Grammar (produced by the University of Texas at Austin) is the single best free Internet resource for learning French grammar.  Rosetta Stone is a bunch of bullshit, IMHO.  Good for learning vocabulary, bad for virtually everything else.

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:17:51 AM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »
As to the -44, I love it.  The form factor is bigger than a 660, and it definitely weighs more, but it's not THAT much bigger.  As long as you don't need stealth it's fine - it would not be that uncomfortable to hold in a shoulder sling I wouldn't think...

2 other quick points:

I'm using the wooden box right now :-)  And I have a pelican 1060 that came w/ it (bought the mics off of someone on here) but it's almost the same size.  Not familiar w/ the "cigar cases".  You know... I looked at the PMD-661 a while ago when I was thinking of going to an all in one, but then I decided I should probably go R-44 eventually.  However, those units are much smaller and more compact.  I can take a look at those again.  If the battery life is decent, that may be a good solution, because they all I need is mics and that.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 02:52:36 PM »
Having lived overseas for quite a while (including in Paris for eight months) and not having my gear with me, it is most definitely in your interest to have something that you can take with you.  I finally got my rig to the point where everything runs on AA batteries so I am fine anywhere in the world that I go.  There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but I can add the following:

1.) Go stealth.  Most venues do not have experience with open taping rigs and may not be able to accommodate you, especially if you don't speak French already.  Something like dpa 4061 > battery box > R-09HR or PMD661 (or something like that).  would be perfect and seems to be in the price range that you are considering.  If you can afford it, you can do something like dpa 4023 or Schoeps > pre > recorder.  Those setups are small enough where you can take them with you and good enough that you can use them with a stand if you desire in an open taping situation.

2.) Take your mics, pre, and recorder with you in your carry-on luggage.  You can ship the cables, stand, and other accessories or put it in your checked luggage.  If any of the accessories get stolen or if something happens to them, you can always buy new ones over there.  In fact, you may be better just buying cheap accessories in France than shipping bulky cables, stands, etc.  You may want to investigate this, but the shipping + insurance + customs charges of your accessories may actually be more expensive than just buying some cheap cables and a stand over there to tide you over for a few months.

Have fun over there!  France is a great place and contrary to popular opinion in the U.S., the people are really nice.  Learn some French and you will do fine.

EDIT: If you don't know any French and want to pick up a little bit, Tex's French Grammar (produced by the University of Texas at Austin) is the single best free Internet resource for learning French grammar.  Rosetta Stone is a bunch of bullshit, IMHO.  Good for learning vocabulary, bad for virtually everything else.

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/

My French is ok, I actually have lived in Paris before, but just for a month.  I don't know if it's good enough to explain taping to someone at a venue since my comprehension far exceeds my ability to communicate back, but I'm sure that will change after a few months of being there.  I definitely can't afford the 4023's or any Schoeps of the mics right now, but I'll look into the 4061's, and the Audix caps w/ the active cables might not be a bad.

The PMD-661 is pretty tempting because it's got both the digi in and the xlr's, so I could ditch the microtrack and still be able to run it w/ the UA-5.  Definitely not gonna pick up the R-44 now that I'm leaving.  Maybe when I get back.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
Cigar Caddy 3140!  It will fit 2 SD mics no problem and it is reasonably priced.

+1 on the Cigar Caddy 3140 (2 stick).  I house a pair of AT3031's in mine and find it to be completely secure; every bit as tough and durable as a Pelican case and with smaller dimensions.  Even a little room in it for a silica pack to keep moisture at bay.  I believe your KM184's are about the same size as my mics (21mm x 144mm (0.83" x 5.67") so you shouldn't have any problem with them fitting.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
I definitely can't afford the 4023's or any Schoeps of the mics right now, but I'll look into the 4061's, and the Audix caps w/ the active cables might not be a bad.

For super compact, portable rigs I use 4060's > Church Ugly preamp > Edirol R-09 and can highly recommend something similar for travel.  The whole rig takes amazingly little space and fits in one pocket but can make great sounding recordings.  I don't hesitate to take it with me on my carry on bag whenever I travel, just in case I come across something, and I'm really glad to have had it for somethings I would have otherwise missed.

The mics and the tiny CA-UGLY is a big part of what makes the rig so flexible in recording all range of dynamic material.  The UGLY is the size of a 9v battery box but has up to 20dB of clean, variable gain for acoustic and ambient material in addition to sufficient plug-in power.  That provides a lot of flexibility for travel recording if you might want to capture the unamplified sounds of social life, the resonance of the catacombs, the sounds in the sewer museum, street performers, etc. as well as both soft acoustic and loud amplified concerts.  I've found no sonic differece between the UGLY and the DPA MMA6000 within it's gain range.

An R-09 or equivalent small flash recorder (with superior analog-in performance than the M-Audio) and a CA-Ugly are inexpensive, you can probably scrounge both for around $300-400.  The DPA miniatures are great mics, but a new pair run about $800, plus you'd either need to re-terminate them, have Chris build a CA-UGLY with microdot connectors, or build or find someone to make a 2 x microdot to 3.5mm TRS "Y" cable.  I had Len at Core make one of those up for me, and built my own for a second identical rig so I could retain the microdots.  The 4060 has less self noise and is more sensitive than the 4061 which helps with the 'suitable for nearly all recording dynamics' aspect of the rig.

I'm partial to the 4060 performance & sound, but others around here have mentioned the Countryman B3 as being a less costly alternative with good sound qualilty.  I haven't used them but if I were doing it agian I'd give them a look.  There are also the Church Audio omnis of course.  I like omnis for this type of rig but of course the other mics mentioned wold all work if you want directionals.

Enjoy the experience.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EYES

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »
I used the ua5 jb3 mt set up. I also use the pmd660. With aa batteries at any where in world this would be my route. Good journey,s and taping
ADK sc-t, ca-11 cards, omni.                                                   
 ua-5, ca-9100
pmd660, mt,
ALWAYS GRATEFUL,EYES

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
I'm not familiar w/ the Countryman B3 but it looks crazy tiny.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 08:56:15 AM »
The B3 is very small--same size as the DPA 4061. I guess the only consideration with them is they are (correct me if I'm wrong) terminated in XLRs, so they aren't QUITE as simple and portable as, say, your AT 853s. Of course this is also true of a small mic like the 4061, unless you have the microdots they come with replaced by one of the other options by someone like Church or Coresound. 

On the plus side, if you wanted to try it, the B3s aren't very expensive even new, so you could give them a shot without losing a lot of cash.  At minimum, I think it's always worth it to have a small, versatile omni no matter what other components are in your rig.  I'm hoping to run my 4061s in tandem with 4021s at a few outdoor shows this year...

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »
The B3 is very small--same size as the DPA 4061. I guess the only consideration with them is they are (correct me if I'm wrong) terminated in XLRs, so they aren't QUITE as simple and portable as, say, your AT 853s...

AFAIK, you can buy them from Countryman terminated with various connectors, or as a pig-tail with no connector at all and roll your own.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
I'll have to take a listen to some recordings with them. Thanks for the info.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »
An R-09 or equivalent small flash recorder (with superior analog-in performance than the M-Audio) and a CA-Ugly are inexpensive, you can probably scrounge both for around $300-400.  The DPA miniatures are great mics, but a new pair run about $800, plus you'd either need to re-terminate them, have Chris build a CA-UGLY with microdot connectors, or build or find someone to make a 2 x microdot to 3.5mm TRS "Y" cable.  I had Len at Core make one of those up for me, and built my own for a second identical rig so I could retain the microdots.  The 4060 has less self noise and is more sensitive than the 4061 which helps with the 'suitable for nearly all recording dynamics' aspect of the rig.

I'm partial to the 4060 performance & sound, but others around here have mentioned the Countryman B3 as being a less costly alternative with good sound qualilty.  I haven't used them but if I were doing it agian I'd give them a look.  There are also the Church Audio omnis of course.  I like omnis for this type of rig but of course the other mics mentioned wold all work if you want directionals.

Enjoy the experience.

Do you happen to know if the PMD660/661 has a good enough line-in?  I actually prefer directionals for general taping, but the DPA's seem like a good value for the money, good for stealth, and nice and compact.  I listened to some 4061 recordings today.  Couldn't find any shows on the archive using the B3's.  If I ditch everything I have except the KM184's (which I like and don't intend on selling any time soon), I might be able to justify the Marantz and the 4061's.... maybe :-)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »
Do you happen to know if the PMD660/661 has a good enough line-in?..

I've never used one myself, but I would imagine so since many here use or have used them.  The question may only be one of enough gain without an external preamp for quiet sources.  Other users here should be better able to answer that for you. I haven't used the Microtrack either (well I borrowed one once but only recorded using the digital input) but it is generally recognized around here that although the Microtrack can function well as a small digital input recorder, the analog input is sub-par.  So my comments about that just reflect the general consensus around here of people who have used it that way.

DPA 4060s or 4061s pop up in the yard sale occasionally.  Used they are much less expensive than new and will probably already be re-terminated to something other than the original microdot connectors.  That's how I picked up a second pair. You might search TS to find Countryman B3 recordings.  I know Richard (posts under TS user name illconditioned) usually has some mp3 song samples available on his website along with plenty other recordings made with other miniature omnis as well as directionals.  FWIW, he loves the B3 but does not care for the 406x sound (which I really like) finding it too sharp in the treble. To each his own.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
Unless you stack tape metal shows, I recommend the 4060's over the 4061's as gutbucket suggests. They can record very loud sounds without distortion (though not as loud as the 4061's) but require 10 db less gain from the recorder or preamp which can result in a better sounding recording when recording sounds that are not real loud.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 12:11:05 AM »
I just got a really good deal on two used Audix M1280's.  Hopefully they'll sound alright.  I've been listening to various tapes but most of the ones I found w/ the 1280's were the hypers, not the cards.  If they work out, it looks like the turnaround time on the actives is about a month.  I've been wanting to play w/ them for a long time anyway.  If they don't work out I'll look at the B3's and the 4060's again.  I also ordered the cigar caddy today.  Hopefully I can stop carrying the wooden box around. 

Now I just have to figure out what to do about a recorder.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »
I have heard-but do not know first hand- that you can record open at any venue anytime in Germany. I use the Audix card caps on Church cables, and they sound good to me. They roll off at 40 hz, but you can always boost the bass in post if that's your preference.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
I have heard-but do not know first hand- that you can record open at any venue anytime in Germany. I use the Audix card caps on Church cables, and they sound good to me. They roll off at 40 hz, but you can always boost the bass in post if that's your preference.

I know first hand that there is almost no open taping in Germany.  Smaller venues in smaller cities.... the security doesn't do pad downs or search your bag.  In this case if you know your venue you are able to rig up at home which is IMO very conveniant.

I hate to puzzle everything togeter in a dirty latrine.

I have seen Cowboy Junkies being taped open in Frankfurt years ago.  That was the only open taping experience I have seen.

If the bands is taper friendly there might be the chance to tie into the board.  But most of the times the RCA outlets are used.

Just my 2 cents

SFT.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »

Do you happen to have any samples of any of the shows you've recorded w/ the Church cables?

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »

Do you happen to have any samples of any of the shows you've recorded w/ the Church cables?
I don't have anything posted that are just the Church/Audix. I always run 4 channel, either with my Avantones or with SBD. I suppose I should post something with just the Church cables, though.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »

I don't have anything posted that are just the Church/Audix. I always run 4 channel, either with my Avantones or with SBD. I suppose I should post something with just the Church cables, though.

If you can that would be really cool, but if you don't have the time don't worry about it.  I wanna do some comparison between the mics w/ bodies and the mics w/ just the church cables when I get them but I don't know if I'll have the time.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 01:54:51 PM »
Here are links to some publicly posted shows I've done with the Church cables:

Titus Andronicus - Punk band, HORRIBLE sounding room (HORRIBLE - worst sounding I have taped in) - www.nyctaper.com/?p=1994

Jesus Lizard - this is more representative-- good room placement, good sounding room - www.nyctaper.com/?p=1982

Also a couple on DIME.  Samples posted for both shows: 

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=307570

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php%3Fpage%3D2&id=276926

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
Thanks I'll take a listen.  I just recorded a set w/ the M1280's and bodies.  They sound pretty good, but I did have to boost the bass slightly.  That doesn't bother me though because I hate really boomy recordings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 63 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com