Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Moving overseas, what to do w/ my taping stuff?  (Read 9463 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Moving overseas, what to do w/ my taping stuff?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
Unless you stack tape metal shows, I recommend the 4060's over the 4061's as gutbucket suggests. They can record very loud sounds without distortion (though not as loud as the 4061's) but require 10 db less gain from the recorder or preamp which can result in a better sounding recording when recording sounds that are not real loud.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 12:11:05 AM »
I just got a really good deal on two used Audix M1280's.  Hopefully they'll sound alright.  I've been listening to various tapes but most of the ones I found w/ the 1280's were the hypers, not the cards.  If they work out, it looks like the turnaround time on the actives is about a month.  I've been wanting to play w/ them for a long time anyway.  If they don't work out I'll look at the B3's and the 4060's again.  I also ordered the cigar caddy today.  Hopefully I can stop carrying the wooden box around. 

Now I just have to figure out what to do about a recorder.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »
I have heard-but do not know first hand- that you can record open at any venue anytime in Germany. I use the Audix card caps on Church cables, and they sound good to me. They roll off at 40 hz, but you can always boost the bass in post if that's your preference.

Online swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
I have heard-but do not know first hand- that you can record open at any venue anytime in Germany. I use the Audix card caps on Church cables, and they sound good to me. They roll off at 40 hz, but you can always boost the bass in post if that's your preference.

I know first hand that there is almost no open taping in Germany.  Smaller venues in smaller cities.... the security doesn't do pad downs or search your bag.  In this case if you know your venue you are able to rig up at home which is IMO very conveniant.

I hate to puzzle everything togeter in a dirty latrine.

I have seen Cowboy Junkies being taped open in Frankfurt years ago.  That was the only open taping experience I have seen.

If the bands is taper friendly there might be the chance to tie into the board.  But most of the times the RCA outlets are used.

Just my 2 cents

SFT.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »

Do you happen to have any samples of any of the shows you've recorded w/ the Church cables?

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »

Do you happen to have any samples of any of the shows you've recorded w/ the Church cables?
I don't have anything posted that are just the Church/Audix. I always run 4 channel, either with my Avantones or with SBD. I suppose I should post something with just the Church cables, though.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »

I don't have anything posted that are just the Church/Audix. I always run 4 channel, either with my Avantones or with SBD. I suppose I should post something with just the Church cables, though.

If you can that would be really cool, but if you don't have the time don't worry about it.  I wanna do some comparison between the mics w/ bodies and the mics w/ just the church cables when I get them but I don't know if I'll have the time.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 01:54:51 PM »
Here are links to some publicly posted shows I've done with the Church cables:

Titus Andronicus - Punk band, HORRIBLE sounding room (HORRIBLE - worst sounding I have taped in) - www.nyctaper.com/?p=1994

Jesus Lizard - this is more representative-- good room placement, good sounding room - www.nyctaper.com/?p=1982

Also a couple on DIME.  Samples posted for both shows: 

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=307570

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php%3Fpage%3D2&id=276926
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
Thanks I'll take a listen.  I just recorded a set w/ the M1280's and bodies.  They sound pretty good, but I did have to boost the bass slightly.  That doesn't bother me though because I hate really boomy recordings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com